Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Independence Day: Limited Edition (seriously)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://192.217.197.208/software/dvd-...004/02_22.html

Also just announced from Fox is yet another DVD reissue of the blockbuster Independence Day, and one that apparently no one was asking for. Dubbed the ID4: Limited Edition, this single-disc set will street on May 11th and includes the extended cut of the film (with 9 minutes of restored footage) presented in anamorphic widescreen, plus the original theatrical cut accessible via seamless branching. Extras fans can expect include the same audio commentaries from the previous DVD releases, including a track with filmmakers Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin and a second by Oscar-winning effects artists Volker Engel and Doug Smith, plus - new to this reissue - an exclusive sneak peek at Emmerich's latest disaster epic, "The Making of The Day After Tomorrow." Retail for this quickie cash-in will be $19.95.
You've got to be kidding Fox.
Old 02-23-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Completely un-needed.
Old 02-23-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of that, on one disc and they call it a "set"? Someone needs to be fired.
Old 02-23-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have a Spine Number? That's all I need to know.
Old 02-23-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ha! I couldn't care less. I have this theory concerning re-releases of certain types of "popcorn" movies. Movies that are largely dependent on hype, fads and novelty for their success (such as ID4) generally don't live long - in other words, they have a high "growing-out" ratio (for lack of a better term). I believe that almost everybody who ever liked ID4 will at some point outgrow it, however old they were when they first saw it. This happens remarkably fast; possibly as soon as a year after the first viewing of the film.

After a while, the silliness/ineptness/etc of the film will begin to "shine out", savagely limiting the enjoyability of the film on subsequent viewings. This isn't just because of the film "dating" technically or thematically (look at the ongoing popularity of the original Star Wars); it's mainly due to the thrill of the film being a cheap one, a quick one, in the first place. (Interestingly but not surprisingly, ID4 was written over a weekend.)

It's not necessarily a matter of the viewer developing a more cultivated taste in films but more like a matter of the film's facade falling off. This phenomenon illustrates why it's never a good idea to leave low-quality elements in a film on the basis of having it flanked by oither more thrilling or spectacular stuff. In time, even the scene that was one of the main selling points of the film (e.g. ID4's "Today, we celebrate..." speech) can be voted the cheesiest moment in film history. I certainly hope Emmerich's new film will have something more tangible and lasting.

For this reason a re-release, no matter how much "good stuff" it has going for it, will very likely not generate much interest, even though the film has been out of print (as I understand the previous Five Star edition of ID4 has been). I suspect the same fate will befall, to a lesser extent, Spider-Man. The re-release looks not only desperate but downright embarrassing because it only serves to highlight the film's shortcomings. In this sense the "let sleeping dogs lie" approach may be the best one. But try telling the studios that.

Rant over...

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 02-23-04 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-23-04, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's wrong with the current 2-disker?
Old 02-23-04, 11:09 AM
Banned

Fox...you SUCK!
Old 02-23-04, 11:46 AM

lame
Old 02-23-04, 11:49 AM

gimme a break, for every one of you guys complaining there are probably 10 on this forum that would pick this title up in a second if they saw it at best buy for 10 bucks, stuff like this makes money, as for ID4 losing its rewatchability, I would say yes but no more than any other movie, and for me personally (even though I don't own the DVD and probably won't ever) it has above average rewatchability because I love apocalyptic cheese, heck I would probably buy this on a whim if I saw it for under 7 bucks
Old 02-23-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

isn't the 5 star edition got the "extended cut" or "alternate cut/ending" too?
i can't remember whether its in the deleted scene section or branching like T2

FOX released the single disc theater cut awhile ago (the same time they pulled out the 2-disc SE) & now i think they're trying to release the "extended cut" from the SE too...

no big deal for me, they have the right to milk the title if they wanted to

for those who already got the 2-disc SE won't lose anything from it

just my take
Old 02-23-04, 12:17 PM

I think the film holds up well as fun big budget camp/cheesy entertainment which is what it was intended to be in the first place

Only those who bitch & moan about all 'popular' films at the moment,including the mindless action films while pretending to be 'serious' film critics love to gang up & rip films like these apart. They never intended to be Citizen Kane,so why act like they were but failed severely? That proves who the stupid person is in this case

Anyway I already own the great 2 disc SE release & see no need to ever repurchase the film at all.

If someone missed out on that release & does not care about extras. I see nothing wrong with them having the opportunity to own the film for a decent price.
Old 02-23-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The only thing that confuses me is... there already is a single disc release of this. So the only difference is the ability to get the original cut?
Old 02-23-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fumanstan
The only thing that confuses me is... there already is a single disc release of this. So the only difference is the ability to get the original cut?
Only difference is the 8 minute making of "documentary" of the upcoming The Day After Tomorrow. AFAIK, the one-disc set has always had the option for theatrical and extended cut.
Old 02-23-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked ID4 (and Armageddon for that matter since they are kind of similar) --- good mainstream "let's save the world" action movies. I have the original 5-star ID4 so there has been no reason for me to buy any other release. The transfer still looks very good even though it's almost four years old.
Old 02-23-04, 02:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Such crap. Just a release to promote The Day After Tomorrow, made by the same filmmakers.
Old 02-23-04, 02:19 PM

I thought the version of ID4 out there now was definitive.

I suppose this is nothing more than a tie-in with The Day After Tomorrow. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me how that movie is not simply ID4 without the aliens?
Old 02-23-04, 02:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 02-23-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This piece of shit now is entering Army of Darkness territory for re-releases:

ID4 Five Star
ID4 Single Disc
ID4 Digipack
ID4 Limited Edition

Heck the list doesn't even include the pan and scan versions out there.
Old 02-23-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Only those who bitch & moan about all 'popular' films at the moment,including the mindless action films while pretending to be 'serious' film critics love to gang up & rip films like these apart. They never intended to be Citizen Kane,so why act like they were but failed severely? That proves who the stupid person is in this case
That's bulls**t. If you thought I was speaking of all "popular films" then you obviously did not read my post very carefully or you have a very narrow-minded definition of 'popular'. As for the age-old "it's not supposed to be [insert masterpiece here]" argument, that's the laziest excuse I've ever heard. There are degrees of quality in everything and no good film is mindless. And I hope I don't have to list some of my favorite blockbusters to prove to you I'm human.
Old 02-23-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Lame, just like the movie. I thought it was great when it first opened, but once I saw it on the small screen, the stupidity really began to show.
Old 02-23-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOT COOL.

If Day After Tomorrow flops, it could truly be "limited."
Old 02-23-04, 03:17 PM

Such a waste of resources.

Same goes for the 900 versions of PEARL HARBOR.
Old 02-23-04, 03:49 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm happy with my ID4: Five Star Collection 2-disc set.
Old 02-23-04, 03:57 PM
tpc

I happen to love this movie for what it is: Good, brainless camp. I can pop it in and enjoy it any time. I have the two disk set, but I don't see any problem with these re-releases at a different price point. They're designed to appeal to different segments of the audience. Buy it or don't. If it flops, it's no big deal.
Old 02-23-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Masamune
Such a waste of resources.

Same goes for the 900 versions of PEARL HARBOR.
Wait, there were 898 more?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.