Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

product placements used on tv shows

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
product placements used on tv shows

Hello

I am doing marketing research project on product placement on tv shows for my college class. Product placement is the tactic of embedding products and brands in a movie or television show. Its not referring to the advertisements before a movie or tv show starts, or during commercials breaks for tv programs. It refers when product/brand placement is presented in tv show, the camera would focus on the brand or logo for a few seconds.

Examples of product placement:
Jack Bauer driving a Ford truck on 24.
Clark Kent using an Apple computer on Smallville.
Sydney Bristow using a Nokia cell phone on Alias.
Kramer drinking Coke on Seinfeld.

I hope some of you would mind answers some questions about this topic. I would greatly appreciate it.

Are product placements effective?

How do you define “effective”?

What is your reaction towards tv shows that use product placements?

Does your recall for the product increase?

If you see a specific product used by a television character, are you more willing to buy it?

Would rather see more product placements than regular commercials?

Thank you, those who have answered these survey questions.

Last edited by tucker; 02-22-04 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-22-04, 01:07 AM

I'll take a go at this...

- To a degree, I feel they are somewhat effective.

- Effective in that the "product" is able to slip by into your subconscious easier when you see it in your favorite show. People tend to let their guard down while they watch their shows. As long as the "product" is not force fed into the viewers mind, it's able to kinda go under the radar.

- As long as they are not force fed into my mind, I actually like them. Nothing pulls you out of the "possible reality" of a show when they pop open a bottle of ice cold COLA DRINK. It makes things a little more real. It's all in the details.

- Sometimes. I guess if I were searching for a new cell phone, I might recall that I saw a cool new model on "24" the other night and add that to my searching.

If you see a specific product used by a television character, are you more willing to buy it?
- No. I mean If I see something really sweet looking, I'd be inclined to maybe do some research on it. I think with younger kids though, this is the sole reason for product placement. Their favorite superhero drinks "NEW Watermelon Pepsi" and little Tommy has ta have it!

- Commercials? They still have those... I have a Tivo and am no longer required to watch commercials. I think with the rising popularity of PVRs, commercials will soon be not needed. Product placement will continue to grow and unfortunately will most likely be dominated by the force-fed versions. Ever see Josie and the Pussycats... What I'd like to see are more things like what Ford did with the first episode of 24. Show an extra long commercial before and after the show, make it like a mini movie and give some of the smaller companies ad placement in the show. I think there are too many commercials now, and it's gets ridiculous seeing the same ads play during each commercial break.

Well hope that helped some..good luck on the paper

Timmio
Old 02-22-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-Are product placements effective?

To a degree yes.

-How do you define “effective”?

effective is if you want to buy the product after seeing it.

-What is your reaction towards tv shows that use product placements?

If it's subtle then it works. I think the main factor here is to make it seem like it's reality. not using a real product may through you out of the scene. say everything is as normal but they are drinking Generic or a fake product. Your attention is now drawn to that fake product and may distract from the actual show. If it's not forced like the above mentioned said then it works well. I would suggest looking at Jewel's music video where it goes from realistic to product placement. that would show you an example of laying it on thick.

-Does your recall for the product increase?

Yes. I when I see the product on the shelf I do think of said show that it was on.

-If you see a specific product used by a television character, are you more willing to buy it?

Depends. if I'm in tbe market for it, I would be swayed a little by the product used. I am indeed more willing to buy it.

-Would rather see more product placements than regular commercials?

Frankly, the way that Video on demand is going, I think that advertisers will have to go this route. The more often that people use a tivo, the quicker that the companies will try to return to the classic "Hallmark presents" type of show where the entire show is brought to you by the said product. It's all steps in which to get the product out there. Look at American Idol. they had the coke colors and logos flying all over the place in the last few seasons. Not to mention the commercials within the show where the contestants sing about the product (I recall when they were singing about a car).

The problem with companies sponsering the entire show is that the cost of a television show is huge. They will have to toss a lot of chips on one color instead of spreading them out. The idea of an ad company is to get the most possible eyes on the commercial. By narrowing it down to one show you limit your viewing public to the public that is going to watch that show.

I think the best product placement is the sort of underwriting. You know it's there, but it's not force fed to you so you really don't know it's embedded in your mind till you are making your choices infront of the market isle. Hope that helped.
Old 02-22-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hate how on every single show with a lap top it's always a Mac. That just pisses me off because it's unrealistic.
Old 02-22-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, you can always drive around with Randy, Simon and Paula in a Ford while drinking Coke.

next time NBC plays Dog Eat Dog make sure you use the Netzero countdown clock.

I hate when they pimp the products on these shows.

*this message was brought to you buy Dodge and the ALL NEW HEMI
Old 02-22-04, 10:25 AM

I don't know if I'd be good for an unbiased response, but I'm glad o help you out.....
-------------

- Are product placements effective?

It all depends on the context in which they were used. For all intents and purposes, products are thrown into shows based on appealing to a certain demographic. When a Coke can is prominently displayed on someone's desk, it may help to trigger someone's desire for Coca-Cola. Remember, Marketing is all about cost-benefit. They wouldn't place products in TV shows if they weren't cost effective.

- How do you define “effective”?

Anything that motivates your target market to go out and purchase your product.

- What is your reaction towards tv shows that use product placements?

Its a necessary evil as long as its used properly. I hated the days when somebody would reach into their fridge and pull out a product that had the "basic" name written on it (i.e. Beer, Soda, etc). Its not realistic. But when the placements are glaringly obvious, I get peeved. I'm here to watch a TV show, not a commercial for a product. But such is life.

- Does your recall for the product increase?

Most definitely. Any awareness is good awareness.

- If you see a specific product used by a television character, are you more willing to buy it?

Because of my marketing background, no. People will endorse anything if you give them enough money. The rest of America, however, are easily influenced.

- Would rather see more product placements than regular commercials?

No. Commercials are commercials. Leave the exaggerated prodduct placements for the 2 minute blocks in-between shows.

Hope my comments help.
-r
Old 02-22-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: product placements used on tv shows

I guess that depends on their purpose. If the goal is to get me to go out and buy the products (and I do assume that was the purpose) then no. I didn't think about buying a Focus or switching to a Nokia phone just because they put them on Alias.

As I mentioned before, effective to me would mean people going out and buying the product. On the other hand, companies could simply be going for product recognition. If that was the case then the placements have been effective. I remember that the season premiere of 24 was sponsored by Ford and I remember the ham-handed product placement on Alias.

I know it is simply a way for the show to make some cash so it doesn't bother me so much. The only thing I would like is for the placements to be a wee bit more subtle. There's no need to beat us over the head with it.

For the most part.

No.

I try to avoid commericals whenever possible (thank you PVRs) so I wouldn't cry if they went away all together. Since I don't think that will ever happen, I agree with Timmio: if we can have a single sponsor for a particular show, dwindle the multitude of commericals down to one or two per episode with subtle product placement within the show, I'd be happy.

Good luck with your project.