Acclaim reports significant losses

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6089552.html

Despite cost-cutting and a smarter release calendar, the once-mighty publisher loses $31 million over nine months.

When is a loss of $31 million over a nine-month period cause for celebration? When it's $9 million less than you lost for the same period the year earlier. Such is the bittersweet news out of Glen Cove, New York, which is home to Acclaim Entertainment.

The game publisher of such classics as Mortal Kombat and the NBA Jam series released both three- and nine-month financials yesterday. For the nine-month period ending last December (of 2003), Acclaim reported a net loss of $31.0 million off of net revenue of $113.7 million. The previous year it reported a net loss of $39.6 million on net revenue of $180.1 million.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that even though the company put itself on a strict cost-cutting regime--implementing "planned reductions in the company's marketing and selling expenses, its general and administrative expenses, and its research and development costs"--its tallies were "forgettable," as one industry reporter put it.

The Motley Fool financial site almost seemed to gloat at Acclaim's financial situation. "Between its heavy debt burden, bloody financials, and negative book value, Acclaim needs more than just a hit," the site said today. Not mentioned in the Motley Fool coverage were the positive results of the belt-tightening efforts. Acclaim said its operating expenses over the past nine months decreased by 37 percent, or $44.2 million.

Michael Pachter, senior vice president of research at investment firm Wedbush Morgan says there is still hope for Acclaim. "I think they're on course--if they can execute. It was essential for them to get costs under control--which they did--and to scale down their development effort to fewer, smaller games--again, which they did. The key is that they need to execute on branding and marketing to make sure that the games that they do produce are profitable," Pachter told GameSpot today.

For just the most recent quarter, the three-month holiday season ending December 28, 2003, Acclaim reported that it lost $9 million, which was significantly less than the almost $14 million loss it reported the year previous. Revenues for the quarter were $39.3 million, down some $23 million from the quarter a year earlier.

Looking ahead, Acclaim is projecting a loss in the current quarter of between $20 million to $25 million. However, in its outlook for the full fiscal year 2005, it expects to be profitable. Can the turnaround be accomplished? Says Pachter, "They haven't had a great track record, so we have to wait and see."
No surprise here. Guess they can't blame the Gamecube this time since they already cut their GC games last time they posted losses, its evident now that the real reason for bad sales was that no one wants to buy their crappy games. (No offense to anyone who might be working there but I based that statement off the fact that I haven't seen anything great from them personally in years).
Old 02-21-04, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The only decent Acclaim game I can think of was Mortal Kombat V....but that was released over a year ago.
Old 02-21-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe they'll stop making games
Old 02-21-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What, BMX XXX wasn't an A+++ big money title?
Old 02-21-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure its all the GameCube's fault and not their craptacular software.
Old 02-21-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WildcatLH
What, BMX XXX wasn't an A+++ big money title?
Man, you stole what little thunder I was going to have on this thread.
Old 02-21-04, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by dancinns
Maybe they'll stop making games
We don't need any more companies with quality baseball efforts going under.
Old 02-21-04, 04:14 PM

Darn, I was hoping for another this-gen Turok (yeah right). Crap games=crap sales=crap profits.
Old 02-21-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I'm sure its all the GameCube's fault and not their craptacular software.
Agreed! Nintendo needs to go thirdparty so Acclaim can get back on solid ground. Oh, PS2s always break down and MS is the devil.

I had to get them all in there!
Old 02-21-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should really try to be cutting edge. Maybe mix up genres. Like a topless bowling game, or "Tittie Lawndarts".
Old 02-23-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Not surprised either. But personally I do want them to stick around as some form of "competition" and keep game prices in general low. The only game I've ever bought from Acclaim was Super-Bust-A-Move, and that was 2 1/2 years ago...
Old 02-23-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
There are so many game developers I really doubt that they affect game prices in any way whatsoever.
Old 02-23-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend