Community
Search

the original Bram Stoker's Dracula dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the original Bram Stoker's Dracula dvd?

I could have sworn this had a major price drop in the past few years,especially considering the SuperBit release. Yet all the online retailers still list it as $19 full retail & $14-$17 'discounted'.

Since both dvds are basically the same in terms of features(zilch!). The high price for the SB release seems like a waste of money. Also since the first release is 16.9 & supposed to have really good audio & visual. I was thinking it would be the better buy,to tide me over until an possible SE release?

So can the dvd be found for $10 or under anywhere & is it a worthy buy?

I have not seen the film in years,but am dieing to see it again. I loved it as a kid & the wait has been killing me,since a SE does not seem to be on the horizon anytime soon.

Also if anyone has found this in stores(say WM for example). Can you please verify it has NOT been replaced with a pan & scan version only like Columbia has done with all their earlier releases lately?
Old 02-21-04, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your a big vampire fan then yes it's worth the buy. Or even if your just a big collector...
Old 02-21-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the original MSRP was $27.95 (but that may have been the "jewel case" release).
Old 02-21-04, 04:27 PM
Banned

get it!
Old 02-21-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the Superbit for $16.35 shipped from koreandvds.com if you're interested. I got mine from CD Wow! when they ran the same sale and it's a beaut. They're all region, but are legit.
Old 02-21-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I'd say get the Superbit since the first release crammed the the whole movie on a single layer. Since the first release doesn't have any features, you may as well get the SB and get a better transfer and DTS.

If you're looking for extras, there's a Criterion LD with some pretty nifty stuff.
Old 02-21-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
If it's a choice of DVDs you're looking for, go with the Superbit. The DTS is very atmospheric and enveloping.
If you're looking for extras, I highly add another recommendation for the Criterion Laser. I can't believe I spent over $100 for it but still a good watch.
Old 02-21-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
I'd say get the Superbit since the first release crammed the the whole movie on a single layer. Since the first release doesn't have any features, you may as well get the SB and get a better transfer and DTS.

If you're looking for extras, there's a Criterion LD with some pretty nifty stuff.
My ex uncle in law was the screen writer for this film, James V. Hart. He gave me that LD for free. But, when I got divorced the ex took it with her, just to piss me off. I wish I still had it.
Old 02-22-04, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Tazwolff
My ex uncle in law was the screen writer for this film, James V. Hart. He gave me that LD for free. But, when I got divorced the ex took it with her, just to piss me off. I wish I still had it.
Damn, that's cold. And to think I got mine in a pawn shop for less than $10. I guess I should be more grateful for the few LDs I was able to pick up cheap.
Say, have you checked ebay? I just remembered that I had considered selling the set at one point, but the going prices weren't worth my trouble.

I just checked, one went 10 days ago for six bucks.

If you're looking for extras, I highly add another recommendation for the Criterion Laser. I can't believe I spent over $100 for it but still a good watch.
rexinnih, do you also have the Columbia Tristar release of this title? I thought I read once that there was a unique documentary on their release that wasn't on the Criterion. Would it be worth looking up?

thanks
Old 02-22-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still need to get this one. I've seen it at Target for $9.99 (the original, not the superbit). However, it is Columbia/TriStar, so there is a good chance they'll redo the disc and make a SE. This was one of the first ones they released that still hasn't been rereleased. Considering they just announced A League of Their Own SE, it would not surprise me at all if they rerelease it within the year.
Old 02-22-04, 05:48 AM
Banned

I think Im gonna sell my old one and get the Superbit...
Old 02-22-04, 08:12 AM
Banned

rexinnih, do you also have the Columbia Tristar release of this title? I thought I read once that there was a unique documentary on their release that wasn't on the Criterion. Would it be worth looking up?
Very weird about that documentary. The criterion cut it up to only include the making of segments of the documentary and I believe that the Columbia one had the whole documentary. I actually only have the Criterion but have the documentary on tape somewhere when it was broadcast on Sci-Fi. It originated on HBO. Different places got different versions. I remember it was shown on another network and each had a little bit more footage or different footage.
Old 02-22-04, 02:33 PM

I'd pay anything if the Criterion laserdisc were released on DVD. This is one of my favorite movies and the lack of extras is terribly frustrating.
Old 02-22-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the SuperBit DVD, go with that for sure.
Old 02-22-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I've only got the Criterion release.
Didn't even know about the other documentary floating around.
Maybe can find the LD in a bargain bin somewhere.
Thanks DigitalfreakNYC for the explanation.
Old 02-22-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
There were three laserdisc editions of the film:

1) Columbia TriStar movie-only (the most common).
2) Columbia TriStar SE (has the making-of documentary).
3) Criterion SE (audio commentary and many other extras).

The making-of doc on the TriStar disc is nothing special, just your typical HBO First Look-type promotional program.
Old 02-22-04, 06:14 PM
Banned

Waiting for Special Edition.
Old 02-22-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can confirm that the SB version is one of the few SB discs that's actually worth getting. The DTS track (as previously noted) is one of the best on DVD and the video is much better than the original. This is a great movie that never got its due, IMO.
Old 02-23-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I am sure a SE will be released sooner or later. So I would prefer spending the least amount of money on a decent dvd to tide me over for the time being.

I thought the Goodtimes Airport WS dvd was pretty good considering it was on a single layer & that is even longer than Dracula! I did sell that recently though & plan to get the Airport set later on.

I think I will check ebay or even target,since I know I saw this for $10 & under someplace before.
Old 02-23-04, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Hiro11
I can confirm that the SB version is one of the few SB discs that's actually worth getting. The DTS track (as previously noted) is one of the best on DVD and the video is much better than the original. This is a great movie that never got its due, IMO.
I agree the DTS is great and the picture is excellent too.
Old 02-23-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The picture is pretty good on the Superbit, however, the film print was fairly dirty -- particularly noticable in some of the daylight scenes.

Audio was even more impressive.
Old 02-23-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have owned both DVDs and they are the exact same transfer.
There is more detail in the Superbit but I wish they went the extra mile and remaster the print like they did for Desperado.

I had always heard the best looking version is the Criterion because it used a special process that is similar to what they did with Seven.

Doug
Old 02-23-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Doug Schiller
I had always heard the best looking version is the Criterion because it used a special process that is similar to what they did with Seven.
No, Dracula was not shot with the silver-retention process used for Se7en.

The Criterion laserdisc did have a better transfer than the TriStar laserdisc, but I've never compared it to either DVD.
Old 02-23-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i found the hour-long documentary was very insightful on the making of the movie. Oldman's interview on how he got into the role was particularly revealing, as was the entire cast's input on the script. i'm holding onto my LD for just for this documentary...well worth it if you can still find it.

Originally posted by Josh Z
The making-of doc on the TriStar disc is nothing special, just your typical HBO First Look-type promotional program.
Old 02-23-04, 05:26 PM
Suspended

vamp times

So you found a vamp documentary? cool. I am into vamp culture too. I just saw a new online add for Mad Mad House. Have you heard of it??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.