Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Star Trek : TNG movie is the best?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-20-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finished watching all the Seasons of DS9 and TNG. Now I want to discover the films. I've heard that some of them are flops. Which TNG movie is the best and why?
Old 02-20-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,021 Posts
In order of release:

Generations is a passing of the flame from Kirk to Picard. It's very underrated in my book. It's a fairly fun adventure, and Shatner honestly seems to be enjoying himself. It's next in line for a 2 disc reissue from Paramount, and there are supposedly over 35 minutes cut from the original version. It is unknown if they will be reinserted, but even the theatrical cut is a pretty nice romp.

First Contact is a very dark, very intense battle with the Borg, with a little "date with destiny" thrown in. Patrick Stewart is given a lot to chew on in this, but I don't think it ever really reaches silly levels. James Cromwell is fun as Zefrem Cochrane, and Alice Krige is disgustingly delectable as the
Spoiler:
Borg Queen

Insurrection was a remake of a bad episode. If the producers are going to dip into the series for ideas, they need to think "Space Seed/Wrath of Kahn" not, Who Watches the Watchers, or the episode where Riker shagged Frasier's wife. It's got some groaners, but to me seems to suffer most from bad editing. There are several shots where we needed to spend several more characters in a certain scene, but we were rushed onto the next set piece.

Nemesis. I heard so much bad buzz I'm waiting till the local used CD stores sell it for about $5-6.
Old 02-20-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

My vote is stil Star Trek II, btw.

- David Stein
Old 02-20-04, 10:35 PM
Banned

Star Trek: First Contact is my vote. Hold off on the current release because most likely you know of the 2-Disc Special Edition coming sooner than later.
Old 02-20-04, 10:53 PM

Star Trek: First Contact is the best TNG film.
Old 02-21-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that First Contact is the best TNG movie.

If you count all Star Trek movies, then Star Trek II is the best. Star Trek IV is also very good.
Old 02-21-04, 12:29 AM
Banned

For some strange reason I rate ST VI higher than II because I like a good mystery integrated into sci-fi. THEN it goes II, First Contact, IV, then slightly below for Nemesis out of the 'even' numbered. I won't even go into the 'odd' films.
Old 02-21-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Out of the four TNG films, First Contact is the best, and really the only good one. Generations is a decent film, not great, helped by a good villian played by Malcolm McDowell. Insurrection and Nemesis...well...they are nothing but 2 hour tv shows. And not that great ones.
Old 02-21-04, 01:18 AM

Being a fan of the next gen series and liking the movies that they have done, I don't know why everyone seems to think that First Contact is the best.. I personally think that Best of Both Worlds was far better than the First Contact movie. I remember when it was coming out, I was all excited about a huge borg/federation battle/story...which is not what we got.. One ship that gets destroyed in like the first 8 minutes!! I mean, what the hell? The whole idea of a queen in charge of the borg didn't really settle with me..basically I think that it could have been a lot better...I will probably be the only one who thinks this, but I think that either Generations or Nemesis are the best TNG films. I really don't know why Nemesis got such a bad rap, it is far better than the 9th film, and has a lot more action, and brings something that really hasn't been brought to the series..Romulans, and had some interesting incite on Picard and Data. Though I wish that the producers and writers of the TNG films would have focused more on "new" story lnes..For example the OS movies had story lines that flowed together and gave us something different each time, more or less. The TNG films, except for generations focuses more on a "action" setting more than a "science fiction" one..So beings I truly love the Next Gen Cast I like every movie they have done and hope that some or all will return to the screen!
Old 02-21-04, 01:56 AM
Banned

When it comes to story and such, I LOVE Generations and Nemesis! For outright conspiracy and the such, I'll go for First Contact and Insurrection.
Old 02-21-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First Contact was hands down the best TNG flick, but I really liked Generations and Nemesis. Insurrection, while not bad, I thought was just okay. Definitely the most mediocre of the bunch.
Old 02-21-04, 02:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dcprules
First Contact was hands down the best TNG flick, but I really liked Generations and Nemesis. Insurrection, while not bad, I thought was just okay. Definitely the most mediocre of the bunch.
I feel the same way.
Old 02-21-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by RaynMan2019
Star Trek: First Contact is my vote. Hold off on the current release because most likely you know of the 2-Disc Special Edition coming sooner than later.
What he said.
Old 02-21-04, 08:03 AM

I guess I'm the only one that had the best time with Insurrection. Maybe by that time, my expectations were very low. I think the quality of the TNG movies doesn't live up proportionately to the series, where TOS movies surpass the show.
Old 02-21-04, 08:19 AM

1. First Contact
2. Generations
3. Insurrection
4. Nemesis
Old 02-21-04, 08:34 AM

I'm surprised at the number of people here who liked Nemesis. I think it's the worst Star Trek film ever, including the original cast films!

First Contact is great, followed closely by the underrated Generations. I thought Insurrection was awful, but then I saw Nemesis. Yikes.
Old 02-21-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by angryyoungman
I'm surprised at the number of people here who liked Nemesis. I think it's the worst Star Trek film ever, including the original cast films!
Nemesis is by no means perfect, but it has some interesting elements, including the too brief interaction between Shinzon and Picard. I picked up the DVD used for 10 bucks, so I had already heard lots of negative press about it, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was a decent film. Much better than Insurrection, which I doubt I will even pick up to be a completist with the 2 disc special editions.
Old 02-21-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I defintely would go with First Contact as well. Nemesis would be next before Insurrection. And I've never actually seen all of Generations yet so I'll omit it
Old 02-21-04, 11:00 AM
Suspended

I'm going to go with: They all suck major ass. Which one is best? There aint no such beast. It's like asking which venereal disease would you rather have: aids or herpes.

Stay away. Stay far away. The movie series died after Undiscovered Country.
Old 02-21-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My personal ranking of the TNG movies:
1) First Contact-While I agree with a previous poster that Best of Both Worlds was really good (I saw it it the first time it aired and had no idea where they were going with the next season. For all I knew, that was it for Picard and Riker and Shelby were going to be the main two on the show from that point forward, and it would have worked if they did it that way. Still the best cliffhanger of all time!) I just liked how First Contact broke away from the formula of the series and did something new. It was a good story with good characters, but pissed off a lot of fans because they tampered with the Original Series by making Cochrane somebody completely different, both in looks and in character. I had no problem with the changes, though.

2) Generations. Yeah, I think this one is underrated too. I thought it was a good adventure and really transferred the spirit fo the series well to the screen. My only wish is that we got to see more of the Enterprise B crew (later on, maybe in their own made for TV movies or something else) and that they didn't leave Kirk the way they did. [spoiler]I had no problem with how he died, since he said he would die alone in Star Trek V, but to just leave his body on the barren planet. WTF???]/spoiler]

3) Nemesis. Not really all that bad after my second viewing. I hated this movie at first because all the great stuff was already revealed in all the trailers they had for the movie, but alone I thought it worked pretty well. I still wish they had done a mirror universe story and strayed away from the clone idea, and where the hell was Lore? Forget B4! We wanted LORE!

4) Insurrection. Easilly the weakest of the lot. I saw this in the theater and found it pretty forgettable, but it's pretty decent. Over all, I still find Star Trek V to be the weakest of the entire franchise, but this would probably be near the bottom, right above V and I.
Old 02-21-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find myself pulling out Nemesis to watch more than any other Next Gen film. Turn off the lights and crank up the sound...it's a good time.
Old 02-21-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Where's the "none of the above" option?

OT: My favorite TNG movie story.

I'm introduced as the new intern to Brannon (and the VOY staff). He's sitting there with Ken Biller (now co-exec producer on Smallville). He has me sit down, waits a few minutes, then asks if I've seen Generations. "What do you think?" he asks. I tell him flat out, "It sucked." He shouts, "**** you!" And after a long pause he laughs and says, "But you're right."
Old 02-21-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
First Contact, without a doubt. I think it's the best Star Trek movie of all of them.
Old 02-21-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First Contact, no contest. One of the best of all the ST movies.
Old 02-21-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
First Contact without a doubt. I rank it behind STII as my favorite Trek film. Here's hoping for a two disc set in the future!

That said, I like Nemesis as the second best. I honestly feel it got undeserved bad press and bashing, and I also think it was a fitting end to the Trek era in motion pictures.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.