Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Hornet - Seth Rogen (January 2011)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EDIT:

The latest news is that it's Seth Rogen picking up the pen - as well as donning the mask. We'll see...

-----------------------------------------------------

The old post from yonks ago, about Kevin Smith:
This is probably the "big news" that he was aching to let out of the bag.

From Variety.com:

Kevin Smith (Jersey Girl) will write and direct The Green Hornet for Miramax Films, reports Variety. Smith expects to have a script ready in time to begin shooting scenes of the masked Hornet and his kung-fu-fighting chauffeur, Kato, by late summer. The film will be based on the venerable character created by Fran Striker and George Trendle for a radio serial that launched in 1936.

"I dig the fact that he kicked off a run of billionaire playboys who decided to put on a mask and fight crime, and that he was Batman before there was a Batman," said Smith.

While he never thought he would make a superhero film, Smith made an exception for The Green Hornet, for several reasons. Among them is the fact that the character has high name recognition but isn't shackled by the storyline, says the trade. Most people remember the title character and Kato, but cannot name their adversaries or even recall the tricked-out car they drove. For Smith, that leaves plenty of room for imagination.

"I always said I'd never do one, based on my limited experience writing on 'Superman' and having to answer to the studio, the producer, the comics company and eventually a director," Smith said. "Then there's a fandom that gets up in arms if you even try to stray from their character. Here, there is simplicity in the character and the situation.

"Equally important, the only person I have to answer to is Harvey [Weinstein], with whom I've made four movies. This is the only circumstance that led me to take on a comicbook movie, and something so big."

Smith hasn't gotten to the casting stage yet, but said he was intrigued by both actors who were linked to the film while it was at Universal. George Clooney had a pay-or-play deal for the title character before Steven Spielberg extricated him to star in DreamWorks' first drama, The Peacemaker. Jet Li once was linked to the role of Kato.

Not sure how to take this. Kevin's an incredibly talented writer (that's a fact, not opinion), but he's a poor director, to be honest. He hasn't been a bad judge of comic book films either; he let down a few fans when he thought that the writing in Spider-Man was shoddy.

Then again, he did love Daredevil. Not a bad film, just not a very good one. When taken to task for his love of the film, he said "hey man! I'm just pleased as punch that there IS a Daredevil film!"

We'll see how this turns out, I suppose...

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 07-24-07 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, beat me by a second. Literally.
Old 02-18-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Jay & Silent bob = NO SALE!
Old 02-18-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smith himself has admitted that visually he isnt a very good director, his films look flat. Thats not exactly the kind of director you want helming a super hero action movie.
Old 02-18-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, Simon Birch dude made Daredevil visually interesting...
Old 02-18-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Clooney and Li would be interesting casting. Li should already be used to wearing a Kato mask after appearing in Black Mask, so why not?
Old 02-18-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
So according to Smith no one remembers Black Beauty (the car), Dollar Bill (on of the baddies), or Crimson Wasp (Kato's sister)? Strike one. Although he has a great sense of humour, it's his humour that makes his films work, not his flat photography or bland directing style. Strikes two and three, I suppose. I know Smith must have a good serious script (that wont be insulting to Green Hornet fans) in him but I'd rather he not direct.

Clooney and Li are practically made for the lead roles. I hope they get them to sign on.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-18-04 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-18-04, 06:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I guess this means no Fletch Won.
Old 02-18-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
ahem... the writing in Spider-Man was shoddy. Just because it became a big hit does not change that fact.
Old 02-18-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not trying to be a Kevin Smith directorial abilities apologist here, but the films he's made in the past don't really need to present themselves as visual spectacles. With the respect that he holds for comics and the comic film genre, hopefully he'll step up to the subject matter and learn about camera movement.
Old 02-18-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I guess this means no Fletch Won.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 02-18-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap.

I'm torn between my love of Kevin's writing style and my hatred for comic book movies.
Old 02-18-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta admit that Kevin SMith is NOT the person who first comes to mind as director for this, but then nobody expected Ang Lee to be hired to direct HULK and we know how that turned out .... oh ... wait ....never mind.
Old 02-18-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
Gotta admit that Kevin SMith is NOT the person who first comes to mind as director for this, but then nobody expected Ang Lee to be hired to direct HULK and we know how that turned out .... oh ... wait ....never mind.
Eh boy, yet another Hulk bash. Anyway, I think Smith will do a fine job writing it, but for directing we'll have to wait to see the movie when it's released.
Old 02-18-04, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by marty888
nobody expected Ang Lee to be hired to direct HULK and we know how that turned out
Yea, pretty good. A lot better than Spider Man IMHO.

Not starting a war, just providing another opinion.

Oh yea, I'm also interested to see how Smith does with this type of film.
Old 02-18-04, 10:13 AM

Smith has it backwards. The Green Hornet wasn't Batman before there was Batman. During the 60s he was Batman after there was Batman--his TV show was rushed out by the Batman producers to cash in on the superhero craze.

During the 30s the Hornet was the Shadow after there was the Shadow: again, he was rushed out to cash in on a craze for mysterious pulp heroes. He's always been a second string character, following in someone else's footsteps.

Now there's another superhero boom, and woo, big surprise, someone has resurrected the Green Hornet.

Christopher Nolan or Kevin Smith? I know who my money's going on.
Old 02-18-04, 10:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by RocShemp
So according to Smith no one remembers Black Beauty (the car), Dollar Bill (on of the baddies), or Crimson Wasp (Kato's sister)? Strike one.
No, I think Smith is right on this one.
Old 02-18-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Color me un-interested.
Kevin Smith writes a great script, but he can't make a visually interesting film to save his life. Not to mention 'The Green Hornet' is a terribly boring character. He's second string, at best, IMO.
Old 02-18-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Inverse
Christopher Nolan or Kevin Smith? I know who my money's going on.
Both for me please
Old 02-18-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
So, after hearing the Green Hornet theme in Kill Bill.. doesn't anyone want QT to direct Green Hornet?

I wished this happened a long time ago.. when they were talking about Greg Kinnear as the Hornet.

And have Jason Scott Lee as Kato. He already played him once

Last edited by devilshalo; 02-18-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-18-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by RocShemp
So according to Smith no one remembers Black Beauty (the car), Dollar Bill (on of the baddies), or Crimson Wasp (Kato's sister)? Strike one.

As a long time comic fan who watched the Green Hornet series as a kid, I still have to ask: Who?
Old 02-18-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting (and a lot of not-so-interesting) discussion about the film over at View Askew's board. I had to laugh at this message:

Originally posted by kentrel
He's always been proud of his dialogue and said that's what he'll stick to... Should we expect a fight scene to be cut to make room for Kato's monologue about the fighting style of the Jedi and how Leia probably sucked Han's c**k?
Originally posted by Kevin Smith
Yes! Expect that and so much less!

Relax. It's gonna be smoove...
Old 02-18-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Interesting (and a lot of not-so-interesting) discussion about the film over at View Askew's board. I had to laugh at this message:
Wow.. you still check out those boards?! You are a brave, brave soul.
Old 02-18-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Wow.. you still check out those boards?! You are a brave, brave soul.
Well, events like this bring out the old regulars; it's nice to know they're still about.

But for every smart poster, there's twenty "MewesBluntz2005"s... it's sad, but I deal.

Normally I'm over at angrynakedpat.com's boards, which is pretty stoced with old VA board regulars.
Old 02-18-04, 01:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
And have Jason Scott Lee as Kato. He already played him once
Only if Jason Lee plays the Green Hornet. That wouldn't be confusing at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.