Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

interesting message from Billy COrgan about THE SMASHING PUMPKINS

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-17-04, 11:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check this out:

http://www.billycorgan.com/

read his message from today, the 17th
Old 02-18-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting indeed. I had no idea, I guess no one else really did either. I suspect a lot of people are going to cry out about this and complain that he's being a baby and blaming someone else for possibly his own mistakes, but I respect the man for telling it like it is. That whole part about protecting the ones he loves and putting everyone before himself strikes a chord with me because I just passed a stage in my life where I did that exact same thing for 4 or so years.

I wonder why James wasn't interested in being in the band anymore? I never bought the whole Britney story anyway, so it's nice to hear the truth I guess.
Old 02-18-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Why did he feel the need to make something up for that? I don't see the big deal in saying "James wanted to leave and we didn't feel we were still the Smashing Pumpkins without him"
Old 02-18-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess maybe he felt like he owed him anonymity or something. I would have just said it like it was, but I guess maybe he might have been feeling a bit overwhelmed with the whole pop world also, and just blurted it out. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason they split.
Old 02-19-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Corgan Comes Clean About Pumpkins' Demise

As the four-year anniversary of the Smashing Pumpkins' break-up draws near, Billy Corgan took to his official Web site yesterday (Feb. 17) to clear the air about the true reasons for the Chicago's band's split.

"I am going to share some things with you that you have never heard me say," he wrote. "That doesn't mean I'm rewriting history; that means that I'm going to tell you the truth about who I am and what I believe in my heart. A lot of things that I have said thru the years seemed confusing, like I was hiding something, and oftentimes I was. 'Why,' you might ask. Many times I hid things to protect my band mates."

Corgan said he regrets initially blaming the split on "fighting the good fight against the Britneys of the world." "By saying that, I was seen as someone who was crying foul, taking his ball and going home, which was sad, 'cause it wasn't true at all," he continued. "The truth of the matter is that [guitarist] James Iha broke up the Smashing Pumpkins. Not me, not [drummer] Jimmy [Chamberlin], but James. Did it help that [bassist] D'arcy [Wretzky] was fired for being a mean-spirited drug addict, who refused to get help? No, that didn't help keep the band together, not at all."

The artist admitted he would have liked to press on with the Pumpkins, which he described as "essentially my entire life... a dream I still believe in. Many friends at the time suggested letting James leave, so Jimmy and I could continue on under the name. But I was too loyal to the man I had started the whole thing with, and so I protected him until the very end."

Corgan was particularly saddened after Iha left the band's final show at Chicago's Cabaret Metro "without saying goodbye to the two people he had won and lost and traveled the world with. So, I won't be protecting him anymore and I won't be protecting a whole lot of other people anymore."

In closing, he wrote, "We all deserve to flourish, and know happiness and joy. That is my new dream. The Smashing Pumpkins gave me that, and I am eternally grateful."

As previously reported, Corgan is working on his debut Warner Bros. solo album following the dissolution of his post-Pumpkins band, Zwan. The set will be preceded by a DVD of acoustic songs, featuring performances from a variety of venues and a spate of April recording sessions.

"What will be novel is that we plan on having an invited audience attend the recording sessions," Corgan said. "Just after the week of recording, I hope to do a single concert which would be filmed as well. The DVD would then be a compilation of material from [a show at Chicago's] the Hideout, acoustic sessions already recorded, poetry from [a Chicago] art institute benefit, the six days in April, and the one concert date."

Corgan will also release a book of poetry sometime this fall. "It's now basically all done, give or take a few word changes here and there," he said.

[BILLBOARD.com]
Old 02-19-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like he still has an inflated ego.....blaming everyone but himself. Perhaps Iha was tired of Corgan's BS?

Last edited by LiquidSky; 02-19-04 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-19-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't give Iha too much credit in all this. I buy Corgan's side of things...Iha was just as egotistical as Corgan ever was.
Old 02-19-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a huge Smashing Pumpkins and Zwan fan, I have to side with Billy on this one.

The only reason that we don't know James's opinion on the matter is because he never really talks to the press or the public.
Old 02-19-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Time to just move on. It will be interesting to hear the solo album but, IMHO, Billy should be fronting a band.
Old 02-19-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jay77
Time to just move on. It will be interesting to hear the solo album but, IMHO, Billy should be fronting a band.
Isn't he still going to be fronting a band though? Or is he doing this all by himself?
Old 02-19-04, 03:52 PM

It's a solo project.