DVD Talk
NBA Trade Rumors [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : NBA Trade Rumors


bigsoos
02-17-04, 12:33 PM
After watching some ESPN, I heard about some trade rumors.

Think 'Zeke is done dealing in NY?

Think there will be an Iverson/Francis trade?

Any ideas or thoughts?

wildcatlh
02-17-04, 12:50 PM
Here's a few rumors according to ESPN.com Insider

Dikembe Mutuombo (Knicks) -- Raptors, Wolves, Mavs, Grizzlies, Spurs
Rasheed Wallace (Hawks) -- Knicks, Pistons, Spurs
Juwan Howard (Magic) -- Celtics (with Pat Garrity and either Steven Hunter or Gordan Giricek for Chris Mills and Chris Mihm), Wolves (Michael Olowokandi), Sonics, Nuggets, Pistons
Dale Davis (Blazers) -- Bucks (Toni Kukoc), Raptors, Mavs
Antoine Walker (Mavs) -- Sonics (Ronald Murray), Warriors (Erick Dampier)
Antwan Jamison (Mavs) -- Cavaliers (for Zyrdunas Ilgauskas?)
Ronald Murray (Sonics) -- Mavs (for Walker?)
Eric Snow (Sixers) -- Magic
Shandon Anderson (Knicks) -- Blazers (Ruben Patterson?)
Corliss Williamson (Pistons) -- Bulls (Marcus Fizer and Kendall Gill), Celtics (Chris Mills and a 1st round draft pick)
Chucky Atkins (Pistons) -- Magic (Tyronn Lue and Gordan Giricek), Bulls
Gordan Giricek (Magic) -- Pistons (see above), Jazz (Carlos Arroyo or Jarron Collins), Bulls
Zyrdunas Ilgauskas, Cavs -- Mavericks (Jamison?)
Allen Iverson (76ers) -- ? (mentions a Iverson-Steve Francis swap offhand)
Vin Baker (Celtics, recently released) -- Knicks

NCMojo
02-17-04, 12:52 PM
I doubt there will be a Francis/Iverson trade. Big name for big name deals rarely get done mid-season. And although Isiah Thomas may be able to push Mutombo on someone (Dallas is pretty desperate)... I'm not sure who they could get in return.

wildcatlh
02-17-04, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by NCMojo
I doubt there will be a Francis/Iverson trade. Big name for big name deals rarely get done mid-season. And although Isiah Thomas may be able to push Mutombo on someone (Dallas is pretty desperate)... I'm not sure who they could get in return.

I don't think so either, but it's possible. Would be wildly unpopular, but I think AI is gone, either by the trade deadline or next summer (which is more likely). Sixers need to blow the team up completely and start over.

bigsoos
02-17-04, 01:02 PM
I think the Mavs made a mistake in trading Van Exel, but Jamison has been playing great off the bench. I hope that the Mav's don't f-up the team any more.

I think the current Rocket's team is like Philly before they got Eric Snow. The Rockets deperately need a good PG like Snow and move Francis to the 2 guard spot

RaptorsFan
02-17-04, 01:40 PM
I just hope we get a point guard before a big.

Meatpants
02-17-04, 01:42 PM
My poor Bulls don't even warrant a mention :(

Jerome Williams to Philly for Aaron McKie looks highly possible. If Giricek is off the market, we may be stuck with Fizer til the offseason. :p

Daryl
02-17-04, 01:58 PM
The Pistons were close to getting Wallace from Portland, now they are heavy into trying to get him from Atlanta.

Josh H
02-17-04, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by WildcatLH

Juwan Howard (Magic) -- Celtics (with Pat Garrity and either Steven Hunter or Gordan Giricek for Chris Mills and Chris Mihm), Wolves (Michael Olowokandi), Sonics, Nuggets, Pistons


Howard for Olowokandi is the rumor I've heard the most, given that Olowakandi comes back from his injury.

The Magic wanted to sign both in the offseason, but couldn't do it for cap reasons after the NBA refused to give them an injury exception for Hill.

They really don't need Howard, given that Gooden plays the same position and needs the minutes to improve since he's only a second year player.

Daryl
02-17-04, 02:58 PM
I've been informed from "a source" that Rashweed Wallace is now a Piston. No proof as of yet, though.

edit: no proof ever came. Source wasn't much of a source

retihsuhnt
02-17-04, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by WildcatLH
Antwan Jamison (Mavs) -- Cavaliers (for Zyrdunas Ilgauskas?)


This wont happen for one main reason, the Gunds love Ilgauskas, Mr. Gund thinks of him like a son.

boobietheclown
02-17-04, 04:20 PM
I could see Antoine Walker going to Golden State, but not just for Dampier. Prolly for Dampier and Van Exel. I heard a rumor over the weekend involving just Walker & Van Exel.

Do the numbers work on those deals?

bigsoos
02-17-04, 04:27 PM
I'd love it if Van Exel went to Houston

nickdawgy
02-17-04, 04:28 PM
Iverson and Yao would be brutal together. He'd either ballhog or they'd be the next Shaq-Kobe.

I guess either way, it'd be like Shaq-Kobe :lol:

cdollaz
02-17-04, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by bigsoos
I'd love it if Van Exel went to Houston

I wouldn't. The last thing we need is another player who shoots too much.

Meatpants
02-17-04, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by boobietheclown
I could see Antoine Walker going to Golden State, but not just for Dampier. Prolly for Dampier and Van Exel. I heard a rumor over the weekend involving just Walker & Van Exel.

Do the numbers work on those deals?

Walker for Van Exel would work, but adding Dampier wouldn't.

bigsoos
02-17-04, 05:06 PM
Van Exel carried the Mavs through the playoffs last year. I think him and Francis would be a better back court than Francis/Mobley.

grrrah
02-17-04, 06:22 PM
I would love to see the warriors get any decent talent for Van Exel. even walker -eek-

reapersaurus
02-17-04, 07:17 PM
Van Exel single-handedly beat the depleted Kings last year.

darkside
02-17-04, 10:36 PM
Spurs are supposedly trying to package Malik Rose, who has been rumored to be uncoachable since Robert Horry joined the team and took his minutes, and Ron Mercer who doesn't fit into the Spurs offense to trade. Not sure who they think they could get though. Neither one is a probably worth a major contributor from another team.

Mutombo would be a perfect fit for the Spurs, but I doubt they have anything New York wants.

Alyoshka
02-17-04, 11:11 PM
I can't see how Mutombo is going to last any longer in NY he's already been benched.

I doubt that the Mavs are going to make any trades by the deadline.

I think that Chicago is going to get rid of Jamal Crawford with how great Hinrich has been playing.

tofu
02-17-04, 11:59 PM
Who thinks Keith Van Horn might get traded again before the deadline is up? Poor guy, nobody wants him. Hopefully, the Warriors don't trade for him.

Tsar Chasm
02-18-04, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Daryl
I've been informed from "a source" that Rashweed Wallace is now a Piston. No proof as of yet, though.

I hope this ass gets bounced around the NBA like a soccer ball.

Alyoshka
02-18-04, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by tofu
Who thinks Keith Van Horn might get traded again before the deadline is up? Poor guy, nobody wants him. Hopefully, the Warriors don't trade for him.

i'm not sure can you do back to back trades with the same guy? I thought you had to hold them for a bit?

mgbfan
02-18-04, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Howard for Olowokandi is the rumor I've heard the most, given that Olowakandi comes back from his injury.

I don't buy it for a second. What do the Wolves gain from this trade? Look at their team as it will be when Hudson, Wally, and Kandi return. They're solid up and down the lineup, and deep into the bench. The center spot is the weakest, but going from Ervin Johnson to a healthy Kandi is certianly a step up.

If they send Kandi away, they're back to Johnson and Oliver Miller playing center, and what does Howard add? You've already got to find minutes for Cassell, Hudson, Spre, Wally, KG, and Trent. And their reserves like Hoiberg and Hassell have also been playing well. All adding Howard does is reduces minutes for everyone else. You weaken yourself a bunch at center and don't really strengthen yourself much at forward, where you're already VERY strong.

No ... I just don't see it. This trade does abolutly nothing positive for the Wolves, and it ain't great for the Magic either. Howard is the only guy down there who can be counted on to produce anything night-in, night-out, besides T-Mac. Kandi is more of a defensive presense. It would just further ensure that opposing defenses pay exclusive attention to him.

mgbfan
02-18-04, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by darkside
Spurs are supposedly trying to package Malik Rose, who has been rumored to be uncoachable since Robert Horry joined the team and took his minutes, and Ron Mercer who doesn't fit into the Spurs offense to trade. Not sure who they think they could get though. Neither one is a probably worth a major contributor from another team.

Mutombo would be a perfect fit for the Spurs, but I doubt they have anything New York wants.

Rose has a big, long contract. I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting to take him in a trade. He's the sort of guy that gets tacked onto a deal ... like a "we'll take on your dead weight if you send us this player along with him." I don't see anyone SA could package with him to make it attactive to another team.

darkside
02-18-04, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by mgbfan
Rose has a big, long contract. I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting to take him in a trade. He's the sort of guy that gets tacked onto a deal ... like a "we'll take on your dead weight if you send us this player along with him." I don't see anyone SA could package with him to make it attactive to another team.

I agree. I know they want to deal him, but finding anyone to take him is another matter.

As far as the above mentioned Keith Van Horn, I honestly think his spot up shooting style would fit the Spurs, but I'm not sure how he is on defense. Again, not sure the Bucks would want anything the Spurs would offer for him.

The current rumor from the Spurs is a trade with Boston for Rose. They would get nothing in return for him, but a couple of bench players. It would be purely a salary dump for the Spurs.

bigsoos
02-18-04, 10:09 AM
I'm sure the Celtics would be interested since they lost Vin Baker.

tofu
02-18-04, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Alyoshka
i'm not sure can you do back to back trades with the same guy? I thought you had to hold them for a bit?
that's what I thought too but then there are all these rumors about Atlanta wanting to trade Rasheed Wallace again. So if they can do it with him, why not kVH?

Josh H
02-18-04, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by mgbfan
I don't buy it for a second. What do the Wolves gain from this trade? Look at their team as it will be when Hudson, Wally, and Kandi return. They're solid up and down the lineup, and deep into the bench. The center spot is the weakest, but going from Ervin Johnson to a healthy Kandi is certianly a step up.

If they send Kandi away, they're back to Johnson and Oliver Miller playing center, and what does Howard add? You've already got to find minutes for Cassell, Hudson, Spre, Wally, KG, and Trent. And their reserves like Hoiberg and Hassell have also been playing well. All adding Howard does is reduces minutes for everyone else. You weaken yourself a bunch at center and don't really strengthen yourself much at forward, where you're already VERY strong.

No ... I just don't see it. This trade does abolutly nothing positive for the Wolves, and it ain't great for the Magic either. Howard is the only guy down there who can be counted on to produce anything night-in, night-out, besides T-Mac. Kandi is more of a defensive presense. It would just further ensure that opposing defenses pay exclusive attention to him.

Good points, but that's the rumor. But you do have to consider that the Wolves went after Howard, and signed Kandi after they didn't get him, and that the Magic signed Howard expecting to get the Injury exception on Hill and be able to get Kandi as well.

But I agree it does nothign for the Wolves. It does help the Magic though as they need the defense and rebounding inside. If Howards gone, and thus not taking Gooden's minutes and shots, Gooden will put up the same (or better) numbers. Plus Gooden needs the experience.

Aphex Twin
02-18-04, 02:11 PM
Detroit wants to trade Chauncey Billups for Steve Francis.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040218/JUNK18/TPSports/Basketball

cdollaz
02-18-04, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Detroit wants to trade Chauncey Billups for Steve Francis.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040218/JUNK18/TPSports/Basketball

Yeah, and I'd like to trade a $10 bill for a $100 bill.

darkside
02-18-04, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by cdollaz
Yeah, and I'd like to trade a $10 bill for a $100 bill.

:lol:

bigsoos
02-19-04, 09:57 AM
I'm sure they won't make that trade happen

Daryl
02-19-04, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Detroit wants to trade Chauncey Billups for Steve Francis.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040218/JUNK18/TPSports/Basketball

The Piston "Insider" on the radio here in Detroit yesterday said that this rumor was total B.S.

tofu
02-19-04, 10:43 AM
ESPN is reporting that Rasheed Wallace is going to be traded to Detroit if they can work in Chucky Atkins into the deal. They must also be including Bob Sura in the deal to make the salaries equal.

mgbfan
02-19-04, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Detroit wants to trade Chauncey Billups for Steve Francis.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040218/JUNK18/TPSports/Basketball


Well, duh. ;)

El Scorcho
02-19-04, 12:43 PM
Reports out of Boston claim that Vin Baker has made the move official --

One multi-million dollar NBA career in exchange for a case of Bacardi 151.

devilshalo
02-19-04, 01:18 PM
So should I hold onto Doleac, in hopes some desperate team will pick him up off waivers? Can't believe the Hawks waived him and start Pryzbilla.

wildcatlh
02-19-04, 01:21 PM
A few minor trades so far:

To Utah: Gordan Giricek
To Orlando: DeShawn Stevenson
------
To Utah: Tom Gugliotta, two future first round picks
To Phoenix: Keon Clark, Ben Handlogten
------
To Orlando: Sean Rooks
To New Orlans: Shammond Williams

RUN-DvdMC
02-19-04, 01:23 PM
I didn't even know that Tom Gugliotta was even playing?

wildcatlh
02-19-04, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
I didn't even know that Tom Gugliotta was even playing?

I don't think he is, but he still has an expiring contract. Plus it gets the Suns below the luxury tax threshold.

Daryl
02-19-04, 01:27 PM
here's the "Rasheed deal is close" rumor from locally here in Detroit and from Chad Ford on ESPN (Pistons have two #1's):

Pistons get: Rasheed Wallace, Mike James

Celtics get: Chucky Atkins, Lindsey Hunter and a No. 1

Hawks get: Chris Mills, Zeljko Rebraca, Bob Sura, and a Pistons No. 1

Daryl
02-19-04, 01:36 PM
It's finally official: Rasheed is a Piston

wildcatlh
02-19-04, 01:40 PM
Which would be why Chad Ford said this in his chat:

Chad Ford: (1:39 PM ET ) OK big Sheed news coming in just one minute. Hold on, I think we may have a deal. I'll be back in one minute.

cdollaz
02-19-04, 02:22 PM
Looks like Utah is re-whiting their team.

tofu
02-19-04, 02:24 PM
Dang, what a crazy frontline for the pistons. It's like the all Wallace team now.

darkside
02-19-04, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cdollaz
Looks like Utah is re-whiting their team.

:lol:

Aphex Twin
02-20-04, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by cdollaz
Looks like Utah is re-whiting their team.

How many white guys are now on Utah's roster, with their recent trades? I'm surprised in today's 'pc' world there isn't more attention drawn to the fact that Utah obviously prefers whites to blacks. I could personally care less but I have seen corporations and people crucified for much less obvious racial favoritism...I mean you HAVE to be going out of your way to aquire that many white ballers over the last 20 years...its like 30% of the white guys I can think of that bumped around the league for any period of time have played on the Jazz at some point...

Ostertag
Scott Padget
John Stockton
Pete Chilcutt
Matt Fish
Ben Holdgen
Adam Keefe
Horny
Mark Eaton
Curtis Borchardt
Older version of Tom Chambers
John Crotty
Matt Harpring
Googs as of today
Gordon Giricek as of today
Carlos Arroyo
Raul Lopez
AK-47
Pistol Pete
Mark Iavaroni
Aleksandar Pavlovic
Kelly Tripuka
Danny Schayes
Fred Roberts
Greg Foster
Tim Legler
Larry Krystkowiak
Gail Goodrich
Todd Fuller

Jeremy517
02-20-04, 02:36 PM
Carlos Arroyo is Puerto Rican

reapersaurus
02-20-04, 03:40 PM
Lovely.
Next, Aphex will be calling the Kings racists. :rolleyes:

wait a minute!
Didn't the Lakers get rid of MArk MAdsen!

Those racists a-holes!!1!

ruk
02-26-04, 09:11 PM
man get over your sad and pathetic kings, they never have won anything and never will

Dead
02-27-04, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by reapersaurus
Lovely.
Next, Aphex will be calling the Kings racists. :rolleyes:

wait a minute!
Didn't the Lakers get rid of MArk MAdsen!

Those racists a-holes!!1!


Second verse, same as the first...

I'm going to make this short and sweet... if you don't stop the comments directed towards other members, you will be suspended.

On that same note, there are a couple of others that are slowly moving toward this same type of attitude. I suggest you think twice about how you post, even if it's in response to something like this.