Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

how to save angel ....MUST DO TODAY!!!!!!!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-16-04, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an online petition to get Angel picked back up, but here's what James Marsters(Spike) has to say on the subject.

Update from the James Marsters forum...

Quick Postcard Campaign to Save Angel

Unfortunately, emailing networks or posting in online petitions is a waste of time. As soon as they start getting emails, they set up spam filters to delete the mail and they don't ever see what comes in. Waiting around for somebody to organize something is wasting precious time--organized campaigns are going to be great but here's something you can do NOW.

If you want to actually do something that actually might--MIGHT--help to get another season for Angel...

DO THIS TOMORROW

1. Go and buy some postcards that show scenes from your city. Tourist postcards. Postcards that have the name of your town or city or area of the country on them. You don't need anything fancy, just something that will show immediately where you are located so they know this is coming from all over.

2. Write a short message on the postcard in your own words saying that you want Angel to be renewed and support the show. Keep it positive. Don't be insulting. Don't be abusive.

3. Address the postcard to one of the people on the list of addresses in this message. Levin may ignore the cards coming into the WB, but the media outlets will see there's a story in this and publicize it. The names on the list are in order of importance so start at the top and send as many postcards as you want to (or can afford to send).

4. Go and get at least six friends who probably aren't reading this on the internet but would be willing to send postcards, and get them to do the same thing.

5. DO IT TOMORROW! Speed of response is what counts along with the size of the response. Don't wait for instructions from some group. Just DO IT.

Here are the addresses to mail your cards to:

Matt Roush
TV Guide
Box 500
Radnor, PA 19088-0500

The Hollywood Reporter
Attn: Cynthia Littleton
5055 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036-4396

Entertainment Tonight,
Paramount Pictures Domestic TV
Roddenberry Building
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

Extra
Warner Bros
4000 Warner Blvd.
Triangle Building, 4th Floor
Burbank, CA 91522

Entertainment Weekly
1675 Broadway New York
NY 10019

TNT is the best possibility to pick up Angel since they've gotten good ratings with the reruns and do some original programming.

Turner Network Television
Attn: Robert DeBitetto (pres, original programming)
1888 Century Park East, 14th Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Attn: Julie Wietz (exec vp. original programming)
1888 Century Park East, 14th Fl.
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Attn: Attn: Mr. Jamie Kellner, Chairman and CEO
1050 Techwood Dr. NW
Atlanta, GA 30318

Attn: Garth Ancier, Executive Vice-President, Programming
1050 Techwood Dr. NW
Atlanta, GA 30318

Rumor is that Levin doesn't accept cards or letters and they get returned, but a flood of mail might make news even if it doesn't get through

Warner Brothers Network
Attn: Jordan Levin, CEO
4000 Warner Blvd., Building 34R
Burbank, CA 91522
(818) 977-5000

And, if you want to send cards to Joss to express support and let him know the level of interest, here's where to send them:

Joss Whedon
C/o Mutant Enemy Productions
PO Box 900
Beverly Hills, CA 90213

And to send cards supporting the cast and crew:

Angel Productions
20th Century Fox
PO Box, 900
Beverly Hills
CA, 90213-0900

Now, if you actually want to accomplish something, make some news, and maybe, just maybe, get a sixth season for Angel...

DO THIS TOMORROW AND DON'T PUT IT OFF!

Also, permission is given to repost this message to other lists, message boards and other places that are interested in supporting Joss and Angel. Spread the word and let's do something quickly. Speed counts.
Old 02-16-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not gonna happen.
Old 02-16-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I do this, will Bill Gates send me $20?
Old 02-16-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
If I do this, will Bill Gates send me $20?
$20 or not save the damn_show!
Old 02-16-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure it won't work...but I'm gonna do it anyhow... couldn't make things any worse!

MATT
Old 02-16-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It sounds like fun anyways.
Old 02-16-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't TNT owned by Time Warner/AOL.....the same company that owns The WB.

Something does not compute.

Send 'em crackers, see how little it helps.
Old 02-16-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Angel sucks now,why save it?
Old 02-17-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by neiname
Angel sucks now,why save it?
Thanks for the insightful comment.
Old 02-17-04, 08:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Do what you want, but realize that WB really won't give a shit. Similar things have been done in the past (Jack & Jill comes to mind), with no positive results.
Old 02-17-04, 08:46 AM

I'll do it, why not, nothing to lose, Angel fans go down fighting, not on our knees Good television needs to be defended.
Old 02-17-04, 08:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Until yesterday, I probably would have joined in the campaign. Then I saw the promo for the "Muppet" episode. Time to put this cow out to pasture.
Old 02-17-04, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Until yesterday, I probably would have joined in the campaign. Then I saw the promo for the "Muppet" episode. Time to put this cow out to pasture.

Judge the show on one episode, smart, smart. And the week after will be totally different tune, Muppet may just be the funniest episode of the whole series, and you just judging it by the promo. Muppet will be a classic for some fans.

Last edited by SeanValen; 02-17-04 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Similar comments came from previews of the "Buffy Musical"* episode, and that one seemed to have worked out OK.

<small>* "Once More With Feeling", Season 6, episode "6ABB07", original air date 11/6/2001.</small>
Old 02-17-04, 10:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I walked away from Buffy completely after the musical episode.
Old 02-17-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Ben Edlund (The Tick) wrote and directed it, so I have no fears that it won't be excellent.

I was the first to hate the idea of the musical Buffy (and I love musicals) but that episode showed me that it's possible to take a chance with a one-hour drama, do something different and have it pay off big time.
Old 02-17-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Guys, the show's already been cancelled...give it up. Unless you're willing to give the WB the million-plus per episode it costs to make Angel, I doubt they are going to be responsive. They can make two new shows for that kind of money...and since there's no way they are going to cancel their OTHER expensive show (Smallville), it's time for Angel to go.
Old 02-17-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Guys, the show's already been cancelled...give it up. Unless you're willing to give the WB the million-plus per episode it costs to make Angel, I doubt they are going to be responsive. They can make two new shows for that kind of money...and since there's no way they are going to cancel their OTHER expensive show (Smallville), it's time for Angel to go.
What's the harm in sending a few postcards?

If nothing else, it might make the cast/crew feel more appreciated than they do right now.
Old 02-17-04, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
give it up.
Never.
Even in 20 years when David has grey hair, I'll vote for him to be a human day walker vampire in a newely concept Angel show of the future

Originally posted by Draven
What's the harm in sending a few postcards?

If nothing else, it might make the cast/crew feel more appreciated than they do right now.

Agreed, I'm proud of the Angel show, and whether it works or not, glad fans are fighting for it, it's like were apart of Billy the Kids gang in Young Guns 2, going down in a blaze of glory, post as many post cards until the fatal wound arrives

Last edited by SeanValen; 02-17-04 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Similar comments came from previews of the "Buffy Musical"* episode, and that one seemed to have worked out OK.

<small>* "Once More With Feeling", Season 6, episode "6ABB07", original air date 11/6/2001.</small>
I hated that episode so much, it effected my enjoyment of the whole series. If I had ranked the shows I watched each week, Buffy fell down near the bottom from where it near the top. I returned the season DVD set that I had picked up and hadn't opened yet and haven'te bothered to watch any reruns since.

At least Angel hasn't had an episode that bad...yet.
Old 02-17-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by resinrats
I returned the season DVD set that I had picked up and hadn't opened yet
Wow. Overreact much?
Old 02-17-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
Wow. Overreact much?
Considering I now had no desire to watch the episodes on it, it would have been a waste of money to keep it.
Old 02-17-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope
Old 02-17-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps
Do what you want, but realize that WB really won't give a shit. Similar things have been done in the past (Jack & Jill comes to mind), with no positive results.
That's well and good, but it might be good if you posted all of the facts instead of the ones that let people draw the conclusion that you are apparently already set on.

I was not aware of a "Save Jack & Jill" campaign, but apparently it didn't work. Okay, but does that mean that all "Save _______" campaigns will not work?

There were letters written that saved the original Star Trek and brought it back for a 3rd season (no, I don't want to hear any "It was the 60s..." arguments). Then there was the tobasco campaign to save Roswell which succeeded. Likewise, I'm sure there are more that have failed, as well as several more that have worked.

Point is, please don't chalk something up to failure without even trying simply because you don't want it to, or because you don't think it will.

As others have said, I agree that it can't hurt. However, I am a little suspicious as to the "order to send them in". I realize that Matt Roush has a steady following of readers, but I doubt the WB will mind much what Matt has to say. Similarly, I'm not sure if SciFi, Bravo, or FX will really work out for Angel - it just doesn't seem to fit. More so with UPN because of the very non-intelligent person running it and CBS.
Personally, I have a feeling the best chance is for Angel to get picked up for an additional season on the WB. Sure fans will say "I want 7 seasons", "I want 8 seasons", and of course "I wasn 11 season like ER cause I LUV DB. Hez so HOT!"..., but at least with a sixth season fans will have a sense of closure going into the season. With Buffy there was a feeling it might be the last season, and not because UPN was going to pull the plug. As a result, sure fans were hurt, but at least there was an idea that it was coming. Here the WB yanked the rug out from everybody, including Joss.

Hope everybody else who at least has some hope and desire to see Angel return next season will go out and grab a few postcards. I know I will, but to each their own.

Sorry for the rant, have a good one!