TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

R.I.P. Angel

Old 02-13-04, 08:17 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.I.P. Angel

Well, I wasn't going to start a new thread till I saw it someplace other than aintitcool, but zap2it is reporting it too. They also have confimation from David Greenwalt. Let the mourning begin.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...346|1|,00.html
Old 02-13-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-13-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The article is vague... Since it sounds like it's the WB's call, all might not be lost. UPN had some serious interest in acquiring Angel if the WB canceled it while UPN was airing Buffy. With Jake 2.0 dead, Enterprise dying, I think it's highly possible that UPN might pick Angel up.

I can dream at least, can't I?
Old 02-13-04, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Im pissed. Buffy better be back
Old 02-13-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a feeling and even called it in a few other threads.
Old 02-13-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dream on brother colador!
Old 02-13-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here comes Dark Shadows.

kinda seems like they just wanted to keep it on the air long enough for syndication.
Old 02-13-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't say I'm heartbroken. I'm a huge Angel fan and I felt that it was the best show on TV last season, but this year's been frustratingly inconsistent at best. I just hope that Mutant Enemy received word in time to prepare some sort of series-ending arc.
Old 02-13-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I thought its ratings were up. Oh well, no romm for genre entertainment when there's reality crap to make!
Old 02-13-04, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
From The WB:
IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT ANGEL
A statement from The WB:
For the last seven years Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer have been cornerstones of our network. The sum total of the work done on those shows has produced some of the proudest moments in our history. Like some of the great series that are leaving the air this year, including Frasier and Friends, the cast, crew, writers and producers of Angel deserve to be able to wrap up the series in a way befitting a classic television series and that is why we went to Joss to let him know that this would be the last year of the series on The WB. We have discussed continuing the Angel legacy with special movie events next year, which is still on the table. In a perfect world, all of these details would be completed before this information went to the press so that we could be definitive about the show's ongoing future. But in any case, we did not want to contemplate this being the last year of Angel without giving the show the option of crafting their own destiny for this character and for this series. David Boreanaz continues to be one of the finest, classiest and friendliest actors we have had the pleasure to work with and we hope that the relationship furthers from here. The same can be said for all the actors and producers on the show.
Old 02-13-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Color me not surprised at this development. As an Angel fan I'd love to throw a here, but to be perfectly frank, it seemed as if this was a distinct possibility last year even with the wonderful storyline that was pursued. I agree with Doughboy in that saying this year has been inconsistent is kind at best. I can only but assume that the WB brought this issue up at the end of last season which was the impetus for the cast additions and the higher number of stand-alone episodes we've seen this year. While I appreciate Mutant's attempt to bring ratings up and starve off the threat in an effort to keep this series alive, they did so knowing that to some extent they would have to turn their backs on their loyal fanbase by abandoning season long arcs, the wonderfully dark turn of recent seasons and the extensive character development which older fans rightfully lionized. I'll simply have to make due with fond memories of seasons 2-4 and wish for what could have been.

R.I.P. Angel aka Mr. Snuffaluffafang

Last edited by meritocracy; 02-13-04 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-13-04, 10:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

It'll be intersting to see if they'll get SMG to make an guest spot now. I doubt it, but it would be nice if she did.
Old 02-13-04, 10:33 PM

Bloody hell. The WB certainly has the Fox mentality down to a T. Cancel popular shows for whatever reason. If UPN really is interested, it would be great if they picked it up for a couple more seasons. Or this could be some ploy to get more people to watch to boost the ratings even more. I sincerely hope it's the latter.
Old 02-13-04, 10:34 PM

Maybe Joss can go back to Firefly?
Old 02-13-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never watched it, but you guys have my condolences.
Old 02-13-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wow.

guess I won't be watching any television next season [other than Law & Order, Dave, Conan & NYPD Blue...]

way ta go guys!

I await the "When the Simple Average Schmos Attack" reality show i'm sure you have lined up..
Old 02-13-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sad news, but, given how this season has gone, some of the steam has left the creative engine. Let's hope they'll be able to finish out the season with a whiz bang hella finale.
Old 02-14-04, 12:11 AM

Here's a Petition that everyone's signing to keep angel on the air...atleast another year like Joss had wanted:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?ai5d0162
Old 02-14-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Why does everyone get so mad at the WB, and say they are like Fox? The WB isn't flooded with reality programming, and in case you don't remember this is Angel's FIFTH season. To say they don't let programs develop is really pushing it. I am disappointed even though I haven't been happy with this season, but maybe they can turn this season around and end the show on a high note.
Old 02-14-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Everytime I read a scripted show being cancelled, my kneejerk reaction is to assume a reality show isn't far behind...

we shall see.
Old 02-14-04, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by coladar
The article is vague... Since it sounds like it's the WB's call, all might not be lost. UPN had some serious interest in acquiring Angel if the WB canceled it while UPN was airing Buffy. With Jake 2.0 dead, Enterprise dying, I think it's highly possible that UPN might pick Angel up.

I can dream at least, can't I?
Unfortunately that was before Les Moonves became the man in charge at UPN. He will definitely NOT pick up "Angel" from the WB. He said before that if he was in charge of UPN when the decision was being, he would have not picked up "Buffy" since it didn't do as well as the network had hoped.

But the WB is dumb for cancelling "Angel" since any show they replace it with won't do as well as this show does and won't have as loyal a following.
Old 02-14-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-14-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mother f--king WB.

First Buffy (thank God for UPN).
Then Off Centre.
Then Do Over.
Now Angel?!?!

Mother f--ckers.

The Age of Joss Whedon is now over.

R.I.P. Joss Whedon Television Shows (1997-2004).
Old 02-14-04, 02:33 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, if that isn't the kicker for the season. Now my official must-see list of shows in broadcast TV is a big fat zero.

God-damn reality shows - a new blight on creativity.
Old 02-14-04, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
If Gilmore Girls wasn't so damn good and Smallville wasn't decent enough to warrant a Tivo, I'd be done with the WB.

I'm sure Fox will cancel Arrested Development soon, so I can stop watching that network.

I'm being pushed every so slowly towards nothing but TV boxsets.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.