Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom Cruise Is Obese

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tom Cruise Is Obese

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom Cruise Is Obese

What do baseball slugger Mark McGwire and actors Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise have in common?

They're all fat.

They may be hunky in the eyes of fans but according to the federal government's body mass index (BMI), that hunk is chunk. In other words, they have too much body fat for their height and weight.

The Department of Health and Human Services came up with the standard 10 years ago. The BMI classifies people as obese, overweight or government-approved fit, depending on a person's height and weight.

A BMI of 30 or more means you are obese. At five feet seven inches and 201 pounds, Tom Cruise scores a BMI of 31.

President Bush and basketball legend Michael Jordan are only slightly better off. According to the BMI scale they are just overweight.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,111304,00.html

How can Cruise be 201 pounds ?
He looks like he is about 150.
Old 02-13-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem with the BMI is that it only uses height and weight. If you are 200 lbs and all muscle, or 200 lbs and all fat, the BMI is entirely the same.
Old 02-13-04, 08:12 AM

Cruise is not 201 unless he's turned into a fat pig within the last few months.

He's 150 most likely, 160 is top.

BTW, celebrities always have their height/weight inflated to make them sound bigger/stronger/taller. It's simply not true.
Old 02-13-04, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Cruise is not 201 unless he's turned into a fat pig within the last few months.

He's 150 most likely, 160 is top.

BTW, celebrities always have their height/weight inflated to make them sound bigger/stronger/taller. It's simply not true.
and the fact that filmmakers can alter and misconstrue an actor's appearence by varying camera angles. I heard that Tom is pretty short as well.
Old 02-13-04, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Giles
and the fact that filmmakers can alter and misconstrue an actor's appearence by varying camera angles. I heard that Tom is pretty short as well.
Agreed. I saw the flight suit that he wore in the film "Top Gun" at a Planet Hollywood once, and I was amazed at how tiny the thing seemed. I'd always thought he was taller; obviously the movies did a great job of making him appear that way.
Old 02-13-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old is this? I remember reading this when the stupid BMI crap came out.

Wasn't Arnold on this list as well?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 02-13-04 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 09:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
5'7"? What a little dweeb. Jeez. They should put him on that "Littlest Groom" show.
Old 02-13-04, 09:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DavePack
Agreed. I saw the flight suit that he wore in the film "Top Gun" at a Planet Hollywood once, and I was amazed at how tiny the thing seemed. I'd always thought he was taller; obviously the movies did a great job of making him appear that way.
On a similiar related topic and actor, I remember reading that Emilio Estevez had to stand on a box for several scenes where he played oppoiste (tall) Rene Russo in the film 'Freejack'
Old 02-13-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

5'7"? What a little dweeb. Jeez.
<---- 5'5"
Old 02-13-04, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Giles
On a similiar related topic and actor, I remember reading that Emilio Estevez had to stand on a box for several scenes where he played oppoiste (tall) Rene Russo in the film 'Freejack'
same was done when Cruise played the vampire Lestat in Interview with a Vampire. Lestat is supposed to be one of the tallest characters
Old 02-13-04, 10:19 AM

No way in hell Cruise is 200 lbs. Impossible.
Old 02-13-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Very possible. the BMI does not take into account other factors. So someone who has muscle mass really get screwed out on this:

http://www.weight-loss-institute.com/bmi_calculator.htm

But here is a good read for you if you are really think this is an issue:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/oped_...fm?OPED_ID=160

Tom Cruise: Hottie or Fatty?

Published: Orange County Register
By: Dan Mindus
Posted On December 25, 2003

If Tom Cruise had been accidentally decapitated in the making of the Last Samurai, he would have become one more victim of our "obesity epidemic." Sound strange? Welcome to the politics of fat, where bathroom scales can be tax-deductible, lawyers are lining up to sue anything rumored to contain calories, and the press has fed us a steady diet of hysteria and hyperbole.

The first thing you need to understand is that in our twilight zone of fat hysteria, he is officially obese. That's based on the Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement that separates us into government-approved, overweight, and obese categories by taking into consideration only our height and weight. A BMI of 30 or more makes you obese, and at 5-7, 201 pounds, Tom Cruise has a BMI of 31.

According to the BMI standard, 61 percent of Americans are overweight or obese. You have probably heard that number. Along with the claim that obesity costs the United States $117 billion a year and kills 300,000 Americans annually, it is one of the three most commonly cited figures associated with our so-called obesity epidemic.

But it's more like an epidemic of bad statistics. All three of these numbers are seriously flawed.

Fatty Cruise is in good company. Thanks to the absurdities of the BMI yardstick, Sylvester Stallone (5-9, 228 pounds, BMI of 34) and Mel Gibson (5-9, 214 pounds, BMI of 32) are also "obese." So was Mark McGwire (6-5, 250 pounds, BMI of 30) the year he hit 70 home runs. And if politics is your thing, you'll be interested to know that the new governor of California (6-2, 257 pounds, BMI of 33) is obese, too.

Here's how the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains these counterintuitive results: "Overweight may or may not be due to increases in body fat. It may also be due to an increase in lean muscle."

It's not just full-blown obesity that has been bungled by numerical hocus-pocus. 39 million Americans went to sleep one night in 1998 at a government-approved weight, and woke up "overweight" the next morning, thanks to a change in the government's definition. That group includes presently "overweight" (BMI greater than or equal to 25) movie stars like Will Smith (6-2, 210 pounds, BMI of 27) and Pierce Brosnan (6-2, 211 pounds, BMI of 27). Michael Jordan (6-6, 216 pounds, BMI of 25) and Cal Ripken Jr. (6-4, 220 pounds, BMI of 27) were also "overweight" at the height of their athletic powers. And so is our ultra-fit President Bush (6-0, 194 pounds, BMI of 26). Moreover, the standard that we abandoned in 1998 had the virtue of distinguishing between men and women--something we now do not even attempt to do.

So what does Tom Cruise's imaginary swordplay mishap have to do with obesity? Chalk it up to more bad statistics. The regularly recycled factoid that excess weight causes 300,000 deaths a year bizarrely assumes that if you die while overweight, you die because of that excess weight. As insane as it sounds, if Cruise were to kick the bucket for any reason, his death would count toward the mythical 300,000 total.

The respected New England Journal of Medicine knows this is bogus. It maintains that the 300,000 figure "is by no means well established. Not only is it derived from weak or incomplete data, but it is also called into question by the methodologic difficulties of determining which of the many factors contribute to premature death."

Nevertheless, this statistic finds its way into nearly every discussion of obesity--as does the spurious claim that obesity costs Americans $117 billion per year. The source of this figure: a single study published by the journal Obesity Research in 1998.

This study had serious limitations, as the authors themselves admitted. They acknowledged that their methodology resulted in the "double-counting of costs" which "would inflate the cost estimate." There's also this stunning admission: "We are still uncertain about the actual amount of health utilization associated with overweight and obesity. Height and weight are not included in many of the primary data sources."

But even if they had good data to work with and somehow controlled for the double (and even triple) counting of costs, these researchers still would have reached a unrealistic conclusion. Why? They used the wrong definition of obesity.

A BMI of 30 or more makes you obese, but the authors of this study for some reason decided to set the threshold at "BMI greater than or equal to 29." Thus they erroneously included the economic cost of individuals with a BMI between 29 and 30. A small error? Not at all. That covers more than ten million Americans, including Bruce Willis (6-0, 211 pounds, BMI of 29), Brendan Fraser (6-3, 234 lbs, BMI of 29), and George Clooney (5-11, 211 pounds, BMI of 29).

$117 billion cost. 300,000 deaths. 61 percent overweight or obese. All wrong. Unfortunately, these bad statistics are the shaky ground on which a growing number of activist groups seek to build their nutritional utopias.

The primary cheerleaders of inflated obesity figures are the self-described "food cops" at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, who advocate "sin" taxes on foods they don't want you to eat. An animal rights group called the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine uses the bad stats to force a vegetarian diet down our collective throats. And then there's the American Obesity Association, which aggressively promotes these concocted numbers in its quest to have obesity classified as a disease for the financial gain of its pharmaceutical industry clients.

Common sense tells you that obesity is no more a disease than coach-potato-itis; that replacing milk and chicken with tofu won't magically shed the pounds; and that Tom Cruise isn't fat. But obesity fears and inflated statistics have tipped the scales against sound judgment.

Also here's another:

September 21, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with BMI
Jonah Lomu is fat ... according to the official method of measuring obesity, the body mass index. There must be a better way, says Michael Hann So who is Jonah Lomu.

There are not many sportsmen in the world who have made an impact on their sport as great as Jonah Lomu has.

He burst onto the scene during the 1995 World Cup in South Africa aged 19, scoring eight tries, helping New Zealand to reach the final.

Since then, Jonah has become the most famous rugby player in the world.

He has become a role model for young rugby players in New Zealand and across the world.

Ah, there, Jonah Lomu is apparently the Michael Jordan of rugby. In this country one would substitute Michael Jordan in the headline and get the same effect. Many world class athletes have high BMI (body mass index). The body mass index does work for most patients. This article makes some interesting points about when we should not use BMI and discusses a better indicator of disease risk - body fat.

Well, that shudder may have been a little premature, because in individual cases the formula is not as helpful as you might believe. The BMI, a method used worldwide to determine how healthy a person's weight is, is based on the relationship between an individual's height and weight. At a reading of 25 or above, you are overweight. But so, according to the calculations, is Mel Gibson. And at 30, you become obese; but so are Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jonah Lomu and Sylvester Stallone.

The simplicity of the BMI makes it a godsend for looking at trends. But it is also something of a broad-brush tool. It takes no account of age, sex or race; it makes no allowance for your fitness. Most importantly, it does not measure how much fat you are carrying or how that fat is distributed.

Professor Ian Macdonald, co-editor of the International Journal of Obesity, explains that the fat you need to worry about is abdominal fat. Fat above the hips puts a strain on your heart, putting you at risk. Below the hips, it is not such a problem.

The system also fails to take into account the amount of fat you are carrying - hence the reason for the "obesity" of Jonah, Arnie and Sly. Dense, muscled physiques can weigh more than flabby, unfit ones, with the result that the superfit can end up being categorised as obese.

Campbell, Macdonald and others say there is an easy and simple alternative: look at your waist size. For men, a waist size of more than 91cm (36in) should give you cause for concern. More than 101cm (40in) and you need to lose weight urgently. The equivalent figures for women are 80cm (32.5in) and 88cm (34.5in). By this criterion, Lomu, with his 27in waist, kicks the obesity tag into touch.

Macdonald, though, offers a word of caution to those who think this gives them an excuse to avoid that trip to the gym: "You can't get away with saying, 'I've got a big frame, so this doesn't apply to me.' It does."
Old 02-13-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
There is no way Sylvester Stallone is 5' 9", He is SHORT. I have met him and he is a much shorter guy than you think.
Old 02-13-04, 11:05 AM
Banned

WOOT WOOT! at 6'5 and 315 lbs...Im obese...even though its mainly muscle and I work out 3-4 times a week!

And Arnold is like 5'8...I met him once...and Sly is even shorter...like 5'6-5'7 I believe...
Old 02-13-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I could be fat like Tom Cruise.
Old 02-13-04, 11:19 AM
Banned

I believe TC is 201lbs., the guy is very muscular...not that I noticed or anything
Old 02-13-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fat with Pootang! AM I RITE?
Old 02-13-04, 11:25 AM
Retired

Originally posted by UWSarge
The problem with the BMI is that it only uses height and weight. If you are 200 lbs and all muscle, or 200 lbs and all fat, the BMI is entirely the same.
Yep, and this is compounded by the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, and that it doesn't take into acount bone structure (i.e. big boned people score to high on it).
Old 02-13-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chrisedge
There is no way Sylvester Stallone is 5' 9", He is SHORT. I have met him and he is a much shorter guy than you think.
I agree. I met Stallone in person too. He is a shrimp. At most he is 5' 6".
Old 02-13-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
5'7"? What a little dweeb. Jeez. They should put him on that "Littlest Groom" show.
Actually Cruise is a bit shorter than this, believe it or not!
But I'm sure his "official bio" raises him a few inches.
Old 02-13-04, 04:16 PM

God, that article if full of fallacies...
Old 02-13-04, 04:21 PM

I can't believe that people are saying that Tom Cruise is 201lbs.

Take it from a former bodybuilder, that's BS. At 5'7", 201lbs, and lean like Tom is, he should be jacked up to the point of getting "Disgusting!" and "Freak!" comments. As I said earlier, he'd be lucky to be 160, most likely 150. And yes, he is quite lean with a small amount of muscle.
Old 02-13-04, 04:30 PM

first of all there is no chance in ell tom cruise is under 165 pounds for those of you saying he is barely 150. I weigh 150, am 5'7 and have a little bit of muscle. from recent movies he has been in, like the last samurai, tom has a significant amount of muscle. has has to be at least 20lbs heavier than me, i was up to 160 a few months ago when i was working out over the summer and didnt look remotely close to the size of cruise. and arnold at 5'8?? yeah right he is a lot more than an inch taller than me. i know i am 5'7 and i have seen him in person, i would guess he is around 5'10
Old 02-13-04, 04:30 PM

i was 200lbs at 6'3" and wasn't as lean as cruise is........no way he's 200
Old 02-13-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
No way Cruise is 5'9"-5'10"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.