Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for best value: 32-36" TV's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to purchase a 32-36" 4:3 Flat Screen TV. The place I'm moving to has a small family room where this set is going (11' max), so anything larger than 36" wouldn't really make sense. I've been looking at models at CC, BB, GG. It looks like the major players are Sony, Toshiba, JVC, Samsung, and Zenith. What really caught my eye were the HDTV sets (4:3) and sets with 16:9 enhanced viewing features.

For this TV, I will watch a decent amount of satellite TV (not HDTV yet) and lots of DVDs. I'm really interested in how 3:2 pulldown will affect the quality of DVDs. Probably 35/65 day/night.

Any recommendations for or against any particular brands? What currently out there offers the best quality for the price?

I've been looking specifically at the following models:

Sony Wega KV-32HS510 32" HD-Ready $1300
Sony Wega KV-32FS100 32" non-HD w/ 16:9 mode $700
Samsung Dynaflat 32" HD-Ready $900
Zenith C32V37 (w/ built in ota HDTV Tuner), 32" $1000 ***
Toshiba 32" 32HF73 HD-Ready $1200

The zenith had a sharp crisp picture with good colors and seems to give the best bang for the buck. If I go with this one, I'll definitely spring for an extended warranty...

This weekend looks like a good weekend with the pres day's sale and a 10% off coupon @ bestbuy. 32 inchers fall with my target range, but if I can find a good deal on a 36er, I'd spring for that in a second. my range is hopefully under $1200 out the door.

Appreciate any comments or feedback.
--sam