Smallville: the Tricked Out Edition -- "Velocity" 02.11.2004

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Velocity

Pete gets in over his head when he gets involved in illegal street racing using Kryptonite-fueled cars; Lana confronts Adam about his mysterious past; and Chloe continues to secretly investigate Adam's background.
Lord. The guilt trips continue...Are we gonna have 12 episodes of angst between Pete & Clark now?

And as for Adam Knight and Chole "Lois Lane" Sullivan...
Spoiler:
Al Gough Talks To KryptonSite

Incredibly busy executive producer Alfred Gough recently took the time to chat with KryptonSite a bit about the third season so far, and what is coming up with the show. Be warned, there may be some spoilery details below:

Gough tells us that the April 14 episode, "Legacy," will find Dr. Swann confronting Clark about his careless actions of the past few months, such as pushing people away and being careless. Gough also promises a clash of titans as we see Dr. Swann come into contact with Lionel Luthor. The consequences of Jonathan Kent's proverbial "deal with the devil" - the deal he made with Jor-El to bring back his son - will also come into play. It sounds as though the door is open for future appearances by Dr. Swann, and more firmly places Christopher Reeve's character into the Smallville universe.

Gough thinks that fans will be pleased with the Season 2 DVD set, which will have many of the features they had been hoping to have all along. Not only will it have commentaries from himself and Miles Millar, but fans can look forward to commentary from the actors as well as directors James Marshall and Greg Beeman. The DVD will also include the first series of "Chloe Chronicles" webisodes, for which Gough says there will be a sequel in the future.

When asked if Chloe is indeed the cousin of Lois Lane, Gough reminds us of what was said at the San Diego Comic Con in 2002, so apparently the plan for that character has not been altered and they are indeed cousins. Another question about comic book characters once planned involved Krypto. Gough reveals that at one point it was considered to incorporate Krypto into "Whisper," but it just seemed to be too much for the episode. Some more DC Universe characters, particularly from the Superman area of the DCU, may show up in the future, but they'll probably have to wait for Season Four. Likewise, there's potential for a return story for the popular Sheriff Ethan that may show up in the show's fourth year. Characters like Ethan as well as Dominic, Lionel Luthor's former lackey, still exist in the Smallville universe and they will certainly be used if and when time permits.

On the subject of speculation, we also asked Al Gough what he thinks of all of the speculation surrounding the Adam character from recent episodes. "I think it's great. I will set the record straight, and say he's not Bruce Wayne, or Batman, unfortunately, but he's definitely a dark and mysterious stranger who's come into Smallville, and I think you'll see over the next four episodes he really shakes it up.," Gough said. He added that they've always wanted to incorporate the character of Bruce Wayne into the series at some point, but that would likely be vetoed because of the Chris Nolan/David Goyer "Batman: Intimidation" film that is coming up. Superman-related guests are much more likely.

A story involving young Lex and his mother is planned for the 19th episode of Season Three, which will be directed by Miles Millar. In other directing news, Episode 20 will be directed by series star John Schneider, who has already been doing some second unit work for the show.

Finally, we asked if the show will follow the cast of characters to college once the high school time is over, and we received this reply. "God willing that the show is still on the air, yes. Some will be going to Smallville, some to Metropolis."

Gough seems enthused and very appreciative that the show has maintained the following it has, and appreciates the hard work of the crew up in Vancouver, who consistently put out a good product.

Thanks very much as always from us to Al Gough for his time.
Old 02-11-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This week: 2Fast 2 Furious
Next Week: Swimfan

At least they're doing something with Pete. Overall the poorest episode this season though. Hurry up and wrap up the Adam thing. I can't beleive they'd only spend 10 lines of dialouge on Jonathan's heart attack and the Jor-El connection, but this Adam crap has stretched on for 6 episodes. They always know how to end the show in a great way. Even on the mediocre episodes they always seem to end on a great note.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 02-11-04 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It was an OK episode. Clark living with the decisions/consequences he has to make in order help Pete was good; saving the day doesn't always yield the expected results. In the end, he ended up hurting everybody.

Clark's conversation with his father at the end was also nice; it gave Clark more valuable lessons in life when it comes to making such decisions.
Old 02-11-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tonight reaffirms my belief that Lex is the best character in this show. Even when he isn't on for much of the show he always has a good scene.
Old 02-11-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pete has a need for speed that gets him in quite a quagmire that has him abusing his knowledge of Clark's powers. Who knew Pete was such a speed freak, running with racers using kryptonite-fueled tricked out cars.

Lana and Adam are shaping up to be a very disturbing couple of star-crossed love-nots. It's a little too X-File-ish (with all the blood coming out of Adam's eye (black oil, anyone?).

Lex is on the hunt for the strange platelets in Adam's serum/blood. He puts the screws on a research scientist (played by Francois Yip) who has more than a passing fancy for Adam. In some spots, Yip sounded a lot like Lana.

Jonathan recovers from his heart attack, and gives Clark a lesson in operating morally in a grey area.

Next week features Sarah Carter (of Black Sash fame) as "The Obsession". I guess the WB is finding working for their stable of young starlets on Smallville (Missy Peregrym was on a few episodes ago).
Old 02-11-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I lost count how many times I rolled my eyes during this episode. My God...
Old 02-11-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For every good episode, there is three bad one's..Or so this season has went.
Old 02-11-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...illegal street racing using Kryptonite-fueled cars
HAHAHAHA
Old 02-11-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The only really good part of the show was when Jonathan was talking to Clark about the choices Clark is going to have to make down the road.
Old 02-11-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Still not sure why they need to introduce a new character like Adam when there is Pete who is so underused. Like Clark said.. they take Pete too much for granted. I think Adam is uninteresting to begin with and is there just for Lana and Lex to have something to do.

Poor episode but small things here and there help the growth of Clark.. even Pete, into their eventual roles in the future.
Old 02-12-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
A lot of crummy things during the episode. Pete was annoying the whole episode, and i'm glad he hasn't been used much this season. It was great to see Clark walk away from Pete at the end of the episode... i'm glad the writers didn't go with the obvious "sure Pete, we're cool again!" after what happened. I could do without the gimmicky premises of this episode and next week's though.

Personally, i think the Adam character is real interesting.
Old 02-12-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know who did the cover of Wonderwall at the end of the show? It didn't sound like Oasis and TheWB.com has no listing for the song under it's music section.
Old 02-12-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ryan Adams. At the end of each episode they go through the whole "this episode features songs by _____." I was wondering the same thing
Old 02-12-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good episode. I like how Pete want to make his own mark. Looks like Pete and Clark's friendship is in jeopardy. I hope they can make up and be friends again.
Old 02-12-04, 04:13 AM

Wow, this was about as bad an hour of television as I can ever recall seeing. If there is one thing I learned from tonight's episode, it is, that while the powers of kryptonite are many, the ability to enhance the quality of the writing on Smallville is not among them.
Old 02-12-04, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rayw69
Wow, this was about as bad an hour of television as I can ever recall seeing. If there is one thing I learned from tonight's episode, it is, that while the powers of kryptonite are many, the ability to enhance the quality of the writing on Smallville is not among them.
That pretty much sums things up nicely.
Old 02-12-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pete's quivering lip (as he was begging Clark to go Kal) got a little too much for me.

Lex is slowly turning back into a more "what's in it for me" character, especially when he turns his back on Clark to go see the lady research scientist.
Old 02-12-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority because I liked it. At least they finally used Pete for something.
Old 02-12-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Check out the official fake newspapers about Dante's death

Smallville Ledger
http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/small...edger/home.jsp

The Torch
http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/small...torch/home.jsp
Old 02-12-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Is the red pickup truck a in-joke on this show? I hope so becuase wasn't it just destroyed for the 25th or so time last week and then it's just good as new again last night.
Old 02-12-04, 09:29 AM
Cool New Member

I think the truck is a joke relating to the Dukes of Hazzard, since it is Jonathan's truck. I always enjoyed the way they play up the fact that they have Bow Duke on the show. As far as Ryan Adams goes, I think his version of wonderwall is terrible. The original is so much better!

Originally posted by Timber
Is the red pickup truck a in-joke on this show? I hope so becuase wasn't it just destroyed for the 25th or so time last week and then it's just good as new again last night.
Old 02-12-04, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by rayw69

I will never bemoan the lack of Pete again. Man that was horrible.

SV really, really needs a Sorkin- or Joss Whedon-type to come in with a plan and a vision and run the show. I give credit to the guys for creating the show, but clearly they're not up to the task of producing good shows every week. I understand it's episodic TV, and that not every show can have earthshaking moments, and that they need to stretch out storylines, tensions, etc. But man I wish they had someone with a long-term plan...
Old 02-12-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
A fair episode IMO where a weak plot (racing) is used to nicely build on the characters involved. As stated above, the talk between Clark and "Pa Kent" works to instill more of the "Superman" morality, and the conversation between Clark and Lex was great in that it works into Lex's future "trust no one" mentality. Clark has now betrayed Lex and they both know it.

Nice that a FotW wasn't used, but can't anything happen in Smallville without kryptonite being involved? Kryptonite-powered cars... geez!

I had hopes that the sherriff would be a good recurring character, but she just seems to be petty and stupid now. "Thanks for sending us on a wild goose chase for someone I've been really suspicious about anyway" Huh??

Pete, Pete, Pete ... I like the character but this story was so out of left field that it just seemed way too contrived. It would be nice to see a few episodes where the characters are just themselves without an external "enemy/villain/device" tossed in. The interplay between the Luthors and everyone is strong enough to avoid a few FotWs. Also, it seems like the writers could occassionally have a bit more fun with Clark's emerging powers, like the x-ray vision thing. He adapts too quickly; these should be momentous events in the life of a teenager.

And what happened to Clark's glasses?? A perfect introduction that fell by the wayside... hmmm...
Old 02-12-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Oh and who was the babe who started the races?
Old 02-12-04, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Oh and who was the babe who started the races?
http://www.monecadelainonline.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.