Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RocShemp! regarding your Rocketeer question in other thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I’m posting this is because RocShemp asked a question about a post I made in the A-hole celebrities thread about 5 days ago and I didn’t see it ‘til today.
I haven’t been able to get my home computer online for months and slow times at work (a rarity) are the only times that I can maintenance netflix and pop in here sometimes.
I figured since it was off the subject of the other thread, I’d start this one to answer RocShemp cuz I don’t shine people on when asked a question if I’m aware of it.

Originally posted by Kudama
Dave Stevens: Totally cool. I told him I couldn't afford a Limited Rocketeer print and he still talked to me for 20-30 minutes about his experience on the film, why there'll never ever be a directors cut and why they used Howard Hughes instead of Doc Savage in the flick. I decided I could afford the print as a souvenier of meeting him.
Originally posted by RocShemp
Could you go into a little more detail regarding his answers and comments on those subjects?
As I remember it Mr. Stevens told me that he spent a year and a half of his life working on the film. The deleted footage (If I remember correctly it was 40+ minutes) was mostly character exposition, primarily Cliff and Jenny. The original footage ended up in the trash. It cannot be recovered and nobody at Disney would care if it could.

As far as Doc Savage vs Howard Hughes: He said it wasn’t really an issue of licensing so much as the fact that it was agreed that most wouldn’t have a clue who Doc Savage and his cohorts were. I told him that I could see that point, but it still would have been cool to see his versions of these characters on film. He was like, “mm-hm.”

Cheers!
Old 02-10-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 645 Likes on 496 Posts
Thanks for the answers, Kudama. And don't worry. I understand how hard it can be on ocassion to get computer time. Really appreciate the reply.

Too bad about the lost footage. It would have been a nice bonus if they ever grace this film with a much needed re-release/remaster. And, yes, it would have been cool to see Doc Savage & Co. in this movie. Oh well, it's still a great superhero flick!
Old 02-10-04, 01:45 PM
Banned

Old 02-10-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love this movie and still watch my VHS copy occasionally. I'll have to upgrade to a DVD one of these days.
Old 02-10-04, 03:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember running into Dave Stevens in the DVD section of Fry's 2 or 3 years back. He was searching through the racks looking for... something. After a few minutes I had to ask the obvious question.

And yep that's what he was looking for, the studio never sent him a copy. Even though the movie had been out on DVD for a while at that point, he'd only just gotten a DVD player.
Old 02-10-04, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Toonview
And yep that's what he was looking for, the studio never sent him a copy. Even though the movie had been out on DVD for a while at that point, he'd only just gotten a DVD player.
So did you buy one also and have him sign it?

Pity about the footage - but it's also a pity that the film crashed and burned hard. Rocketeer is one of the best pulp genre to have come out in the last 10 years or so.

(Well, Indy aside, that is. )
Old 02-10-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's too bad the transfer on the current DVD (R1 anyway) really sucks. And I don't mean just cos it's non-anamorphic. I borrowed it recently from a friend to see if it was good enough to purchase and what I saw where really poor colours, terrible (almost non-existant) blacks, piss poor definition, etc. It was a real shame that it actually looked better watching it via DirecTV.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-10-04 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-10-04, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is why I'm still hanging onto my laserdisc. At least that looks good.
Old 02-10-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh how I envy you. Sadly, I couldn't afford Laserdiscs back when they were readily available.
Old 02-11-04, 12:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
So did you buy one also and have him sign it?
They didn't have any in stock. Not that I would have had him sign it anyway, I'm not the autograph type. I bought one of his prints from a Comic Con some years back and a friend of mine had to twist my arm to get me to ask Stevens to sign it.