Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Now You Know...or do I?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Now You Know...or do I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now You Know...or do I?

I've heard about this movie for a long time. I'm a Kevin Smith fan, and even though I was disappointed by the first "spin-off", Vulgar, I still would still be interested in seeing this.

When is it coming out...or did it go the way of the Clerks Animated Movie?
Old 02-09-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not so much a spin-off. It's Jeff Anderson's first film as a director, and the audience at the event I attended enjoyed it thoroughly. Jeff Anderson, on the NYK message board, said there'll be a DVD in "summer or fall, depending on how long it'll keep doing business in theaters."

But that was last year.

Looks like Lions Gate has picked it up for a 2004 release, though.

(I regretfully did not see the film... I was feeling terrible... but then Kevin & I had a grand chat in the lobby and his mother drove me back to my hotel. So I was all sorts of happy then)
Old 02-10-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started a thread on it way back in November, 2002. Don't bother clicking, no one responded . . .

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=250769

Here's what I originally posted:

This amiable and flawed romantic comedy written, directed and co-starring Jeff Anderson (Randall in Clerks) manages to continue the New Jersey no-wave Kevin Smith claims to have abandoned. Now You Know features the same marginal acting, spotty direction, and down-to-earth characters as a Clerks or Chasing Amy.

The skeletal plot concerns a dumped fiancé played by Jeremy Sisto (Six Feet Under) trying to understand why his bride-to-be (Rashida Jones) cancelled their wedding. Their return to New Jersey on the weekend of what would have been their wedding provides the framework for a series of conversations about life, love, sex, marriage, impending motherhood, and how cool Prince is (relatively). And while it shares the same flaws as some of Smith's work, it also has the playfulness, warmth, and maturity that distinguished those films. It's also paced well, never staying too long on any one conversation and interjecting some funny slapstick at just the right moments.

This isn't a View Askew picture. The producers are actually from Libertyville, Illinois. One of them was at the screening to introduce the film. Smith does appear in the film to deliver a funny monologue about marriage.

Overall, it's a likable debut from Anderson. For anyone who dug Randall, there's plenty of him here in the guise of Sisto's friend Gil. Also Trevor Fehrman plays another compadre and is quite funny.
That was a one-shot screening, then it played in a second-tier theater in Chicago for a week in early 2003.
Old 02-10-04, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no clue.
Old 02-10-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
...and knowing is half the battle.