Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trilogy at the Egyptian

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trilogy at the Egyptian

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Trilogy at the Egyptian

I'm surprised there weren't any posts about this before. This past weekend, the American Cinematheque at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood showed the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy (theatrical cuts), with special guests at each screening. I was there for Fellowship and Return of the King (I saw David Bowie and Saturday and thus missed The Two Towers).

For Fellowship, they showed the film first, then Peter Jackson did a Q&A. Some of the questions could have been answered by watching the extras on the extended DVD, but some of them were pretty good. Someone asked what dreams he had during the shooting. He said that whenever he shoots he has the same dream. He's lying on his bed, utterly exhausted, and the entire cast and crew are standing around him, asking what they should do, and he realizes he doesn't even know which film he's making.

I wasn't there for The Two Towers, but my friend who went told me that Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Howard Shore, and one of the costume designers did a Q&A before the show, but didn't tell me if anything interesting was said. Perhaps someone else who was there could fill that part in.

They did a Q&A before The Return of the King with Peter again, Fran Walsh (co-writer, co-producer, and Peter's wife), Phillipa Boyens (co-writer), Mark Ordesky (executive producer) and Bob Shaye (head of New Line). The appearance of Fran Walsh was a surprise, because on the Fellowship DVD everyone talked about how she never does any publicity. Mostly they talked about the full genesis of the project, from its days at Miramax, to Peter's pitch at New Line, right through to the release of the first one, with interesting little stops along the way. Bob Shaye jokingly said he was amazed he had the option to make the films one at a time (something Miramax was originally planning), to which Peter replied, "There are some things it's better not to know, Bob." Phillipa and Fran talked about shaping the script and how they would each take on certain characters. Fran started as Arwen, and Phillipa started as Eowyn. By the end, Fran was Gollum and Phillipa was Shelob. Peter then talked about some work on King Kong, saying his reason for doing it right after LOTR was that he had all the people in place to do it, whereas if he waited a few years, they would all be in different parts of the world.

Peter also mentioned he had just finished the extended cut of Return of the King and that it was four hours and ten minutes long.

All in all, a really fantastic experience. The whole trilogy sold out the day tickets went on sale, and people stood in line in upwards of two hours to get the best seats. A lot of fun.
Old 02-09-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, sounds like a good time. I wish something like this would come around to Chicago.
Old 02-10-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tickets did indeed sell out the day they were up for sale like most other high profile events that happen at the egyptian.
Old 02-10-04, 03:38 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Tickets did indeed sell out the day they were up for sale like most other high profile events that happen at the egyptian.
Thank goodness I'm a member and got my order processed before the general public. Apparently The Return of the King sold out solely due to members orders. No one from the general public got a ticket, unless a member faxed in a pre-order for them.
Old 02-11-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they will do it all over again when we have prints of all three extended editions.
Old 02-11-04, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jepthah
I hope they will do it all over again when we have prints of all three extended editions.

Someone in LA is going to show the extended trilogy when ROTK: EE is released. It will either be the Egyptian or the Arclight, if my suspicions are correct.