Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews on the AMC series of DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it mentioned a while back, but couldn't find the post, and couldn't do a search for only 3 letters.

So I'm at Amoeba and stumble across a Carey Grant 4-pack (4 movies on 2 discs). Good titles - Charade, His Girl Friday, Penny Serenade, (4th one???).

Anyhow, the cost was only $10, but if they look terrible I'd rather buy the real versions of each film.

So has anybody had experience with the AMC line of DVDs.

Thanks in advance!
- Mike
Old 02-09-04, 01:45 PM

That's the one that I bought at Wal Mart for 5 bucks and I regret even spending that much. The transfers are terrible. Maybe I'm just not used to bad public domain prints, but I tried watching His Girl Friday and Penny Serenade and couldn't even get through the first ten minutes of either. The audio is ok, but pretty difficult to follow sometimes and the video is atrocious. It looks like someone put about 8 layers of plastic wrap over your television (and this is just on a 19" tv - I can't even begin to imagine how bad it is on a bigscreen). There's huge amounts of pixellation at every scene change (aka every 10 to 20 seconds). In other words, don't buy it. If you're really interested in the movies and can find them somewhere else, I'd go for that option. If you have no other way of seeing the films, then I guess you could try to go for it, but don't expect a very pleasurable experience.
Old 02-13-04, 02:06 AM

Thanks, kingtopher. That's good enough conformation for me.

Most of the titles are available at Columbia House anyhow, so I'll just pick them up there.

Thanks for savind me $10. I'll think of you when I'm eating my Double-Double w/ Fries from In&Out with my savings.

- Mike
Old 02-13-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a word, CRAP. Even for cheapie, public domain releases, these are embarrasing. AMC should be ashamed to have their names on these (not that they seem to care about films anymore these days...) Stay far, far away.
Old 02-13-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, Criterion is re-issuing Charade in a month or so with a new anamorphic transfer.