Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

No Grammy thread yet? Okay.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, my question is why did the girl from Evanescence thank 50 Cent?

-edit-

Nevermind, I just read on another board that he walked on stage when they were called. I mean 'Evanescence' and '50 Cent' are pretty similar sounding...

But hopefully someone else will ask a question.

Oh yeah, who wants to start a betting pool on how many "Screw the Grammys!" replies pop up?

Last edited by fallow; 02-08-04 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-08-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish Trachtenburg Family Slide Show was on...
Old 02-08-04, 09:17 PM

50 cent is a sore loser. Maybe they didn't deserve the award and he did but have some class and suck it up.
Old 02-08-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grammys are a joke
Old 02-08-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Screw the Grammys! Okay, what's the pool up to?
Old 02-08-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
that's cuz we're all over here for some reason...
Old 02-08-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TV Talk?!? Jeesum, that only partially makes sense.

Projected # of StGR (Screw the Grammy's-Related) for first page: 6. For entire document: 13. For NRStGR (No Really, Screw the Grammys-Related): 3.
Old 02-08-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course, it wouldn't be the Grammy's w/o a file-sharing mention.
Old 02-08-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did somebody say file-sharing? Well, I just want everybody to know that I was one of the kids caught downloading from the inter-a-net. And thanks to Pepsi, I'm going to keep downloading from the inter-a-net. Viva la revolucion!
Old 02-08-04, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is that song called that The White Stripes played? anyone know?
Old 02-09-04, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by smirnoff
what is that song called that The White Stripes played? anyone know?
They did a little medley of Seven Nation Army (from Elephant) and Death Letter (from De Stijl). It really was one of the best performances I've seen on the Grammy's in a loooooong time!

oh...screw the Grammys!
Old 02-09-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haha thats great St. Anger won best Metal......ahahaha thats the worst metal album of the year, shows ya how far off they are.
Old 02-09-04, 03:16 AM

Does anyone have videos of the performances? Specifically, white stripes and the foo fighters. I completely forgot about this..
Old 02-09-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
havent been posted in the other thread yet.
Old 02-09-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Self Destruct
Does anyone have videos of the performances? Specifically, white stripes and the foo fighters. I completely forgot about this..
Anyone?
Old 02-10-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fan site WhiteStripes.net has a 48MB video download of the White Stripes performance.

Old 02-10-04, 06:19 AM

The "Grammys" are one of the longest running marketing ploys in the music industries history. One day, I hope, everyone will realize this, and stop putting this B.S. award show on such a high pedestal. Like I said, it is nothing more than a way for the recording industry milk the gullable/sheep consumer for more sales. It always has been, and always will.

That being said, I say...

"Screw the Grammys"
Old 02-10-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

B-b-but all the sheep already own the CDs they nominated!

Puh-lease.
Old 02-10-04, 12:02 PM

Maybe we shouldnt all be so crit........oh..screw the Grammys.
Old 02-10-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks man - NICE!

Originally posted by CreatureX
Fan site WhiteStripes.net has a 48MB video download of the White Stripes performance.

Old 02-10-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I remember from the Grammys was me cussing at the TV after Evanescence won Best New Artist then turning it off.
Old 02-11-04, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by fallow
B-b-but all the sheep already own the CDs they nominated!

Puh-lease.
N-N-No not all of them D-do.

So puh- lease yourself.

If you can't see that what I am saying is the truth, then you are blind!!! It is a known fact that it was started as a marketing ploy. How can you not see that? It is a good way to sell even more albums. Do you know how many dumb shits will probably pick Metallica's album up now, just because it has that sticker on it? There will be quite a few. Do you know what winning a Grammy did for Stevie Ray Vahuan's album sales? Probably not, but I'm gonna tell ya'. Sales shot through the roof, because all the sheep who beleave the Grammys really mean somthing went out and bought his music. You put that sticker on an album, and the sales go up, it's a fact. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more, nothing less.

Like it or not, I am right on this one God damn it!!!
Old 02-11-04, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by raiders757
Do you know how many dumb shits will probably pick Metallica's album up now, just because it has that sticker on it?
Nice.
Old 02-11-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raiders757, please post extensive insight into each of the albums listed, speak as a professional or someone very familiar with the albums, actually indicate that you have something more intelligent to say than "those ****in' sheep and their MTV/Grammy music!" before writing off every artist nominated. You have an embarrassing trend of labeling everything under a banner.

So, which of these CDs have you heard?

OutKast, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
The White Stripes, Elephant
Justin Timberlake, Justified
Missy Elliott, Under Construction
Evanesence, Fallen

Can you actually break down the problems with each of these albums? Do you know more than the singles? UNTIL THEN, stop acting like something is morally unjust about the Grammy's and that yr opinion is any more than just that. Yr taste isn't universal.

-edit-

Maybe the more direct question is: did you even know the albums nominated or were they guilty by association?
Old 02-11-04, 11:12 PM

Fallow you are not reading my posts right. I never said anyone didn't deserve to win a Grammy, nor did I bash any of the music that won, other than Metallica's latest album(really wasn't bashing the album as much as the people who will buy it now, because it won a Grammy). Your reading what you want to read into my posts, and putting words into my mouth.

Seeing who was nominated in the "Best Metal" category, I guess Metallica should have won, everyone else suckesd ass. You need to lighten up as well, young fella. I was having a little fun in my first post, but I guess you feel the need to pick a battle with me, because my views do not agree to yours on anything when it comes to music.

Nowhere did I say that the Grammys were moraly unjust. I'm just pointing out the truth, that it is a marketing ploy, and anyone who can't see that is just plain blind. I didn't know it would make you so mad, but then again....

I have an embarrassing trend of labeling everything under a banner, huh? Well 'kin sorry!!! I have a very opinionated view on the music industry, and music in general. Sorry I beleave Pop music is crap, and its' fans are sheep, but the truth hurts sometimes, deal with it! If you read the E-mail I sent you a month ago or so, you will see where I said we all are sheep to one extent or another.

I have studied music, and played guitar for over 23 years now, as well as played in many bands. I was once a sheep in my beliefs, being played like a fiddle by the music industry as well back in the day. I have learned many of the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scene's in the dog eat dog buisness of music, due to my interest in it from a young age, and people like you make me laugh. You think you know how it works, but from what I see, you don't know shit yet, and you say to speak as a profesional. Ha! Coming from someone who seems to have the wool pulled over his eyes, that is a funny statement. Your having a hard enough time understanding me now.

I probably do come across a little harsh on here, but it is a message board, and it is hard to make a negative opinion without someone reading it the wrong way. One day you will see what I am talking about. That is, if you are interested enough to dig a little deeper into the greedy wrold of the music industry to find out.

Yes! I have heard the White Stripes album, and the Evenesence album. I have heard half of the OutKast album, and will never waist my time with Missy Elliot or that Justin guy, because I don't like the music one damn bit. Sorry I just don't like it.

OutKast has some err' umm' catchy songs, but they are nowhere near as good as, say the songs on the Robert Randolf and the Family Band's album. Robert Randolf and the Family Band are one of the best bands to emerge in this modern era of B.S. crap they call music. Did they get a Grammy nomination? Honestly I don't know, but they deserve that sticker to be slaped on their album, that's for sure. Just as much, if not more than the others.

The White Stripes is O.K., but nothing worth jumping for joy over. Evenesence at first seems to offer somthing new, but after further review, they are no different than all the other Nu- Metal (or what ever you want tot call them) bands. Niether will be remembered ten years from now, and both of them are no more than a flash in the pan. That's jusy MY opinion though, and you'll find a lot of people who agree with it as well.

To think that the recording industry supports the Grammys for shits a giggles, and the sake of just rewarding thier artists, is funny. It is always about the $$$, always. The Grammys sell more albums. It is a promotional tool. It also helps sell commercial slots as well. If the Grammys didn't benifit both sides(TV as well) with lots of $$$, then there would be no Grammys. When people see that little sticker on an album, they are more inclined to buy it. The recording industry wants to milk that cow for all it's worth. I really thought YOU of all people would agree with that, seeing how you said your more into underground music on an older post. I kind of shocked you hold the Grammys in such a high place. I'm sure your boy Kurt Cobane(sp?) didn't have very many nice things about the Grammys at all, but that's just my guess. I really don't remember

I also recall a major artist (I want to say Elton John, but one again could be off on that one, but it was a huge artist) saying a Grammy was nothing more than a meaningless paperweight to promote his music. I guess he is full of shit to, huh?

Edit - I was once your age also, remember. I bought into all the B.S., and thought the old farts preaching to me were full of dung, just as you do. Now I am older, and had more time to see what they were taking about. Of course I still think they were wrong about the music I liked, but they were right about a lot of things, and one day you will see what I am talking about. I hope

Next time you in Newport News visiting your family, maybe we can meet somewhere, and I'll buy you a beer(or somthing), and we can talk about music, and such. I'm sure you will find I am not the person you perseve(sp?) me to be. My posts are troll worthy, but I am a very mellow, understanding, and nice person.

I have to go to bed now, so untill the next time...

Have a nice day!

Last edited by raiders757; 02-12-04 at 06:31 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.