Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Therion (or other metal/classical) CD recommendations?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Can anyone recommend a Therion CD that is considered one of their better efforts, and a good introduction to their music? A co-worker lent me a Therion tape several years back that was pretty good but I can't remember its title. I'm a big metal fan, and am also quite fond of classical, so the two combined together (if done well) is something I like to listen to. Recent albums from Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir featured actual orchestral accompaniment that I thought worked quite well and I've also liked Emperor vocalist/guitarist Ihsahn's classical or metal/classical side projects (Thou Shalt Suffer and Peccatum). Sooo, anything similar out there?

Last edited by cultshock; 02-06-04 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-06-04, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have Crowning of Atlantis. It is a good cd, but I think half the songs were in german. Kinda hard to get into on a regular basis when you don't know what they are singing. It is good for a listen every once in a while.
Old 02-06-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never heard Therion, so I can't help you there. Something that you might be interested in is a band called Tiamat. There album Wild Honey specifically sounds like what you are interested in.

From what I can remember (it has been awhile) there other efforts don't even come close to that album though.
Old 02-06-04, 12:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got you covered here. Each of these choices are great, and I think you will really be happy with them.

First Therion...

The album you want to start with is "Theli" It has a stupid cover, but it is their best album in my mind, and exactly what you are looking for.

For something else.

"Nightwish" Lead female singer, very opera-like in her singing, with great metal music. The first album you should try is "Wishmaster"

The next choice is one of my favorite bands, "Hollenthon" Actually a one man band of sorts, he samples in a lot of classical passages right into his music. He has two albums out, and both would be great choices. VERY heavy stuff, actually the heaviest of those I list, but actually the most classically influenced.

Also you might like "Trans-Siberian Orchestra" More of a metal opera, but very good stuff. Try their "Beethoven's Last Night" which is underrated.

Each of these choices would be great. Try some samples of them at their web site, or at amazon.com but if you are going to buy, try www.theendrecords.com where there is free shipping and the prices will be lower then anyplace else...

Last edited by foxdvd; 02-06-04 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 12:49 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a link to that Therion album...and on this page is a 60 second sample...give it a try..it might be the album you heard before...

http://shopping.theendrecords.com/s....t.A/id.1186/.f

Here is a link to Trans-Siberian Orchestra ....the few samples do not really give you an idea of how good this album is but listen to the few they have all the way and you will get a taste.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...420112-8361508

Here is Nightwish....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...420112-8361508

Here is a link to one Hollenthon album. There are some short low quality samples to listen to...to give you an idea....this was my favorite album of 2001

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Woe to the Defeated and Lords of Bedlam give you a small idea what he is doing with his work
Old 02-06-04, 07:28 PM

Yeah get Theli it's got 'To Mega Therion' which is a classic

Some other bands with opera/classical influences:
Arcturus
After Forever
Avrigus
Silencia
Haggard- medieval metal...i dont like em but maybe you will
Hollenthon definitely sounds alot like Therion but adds the stupid vox

Not really classical but try Opeth and/or any of their followers:
Katatonia
November's Doom
Heavenwood
Old 02-09-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Thanks so much for the help and recommendations everyone! Looks like I got a bunch of CDs to check out.

And thanks foxdvd. "Theli" sounds damn good. I'll probably pick that one up first.

Last edited by cultshock; 02-09-04 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-09-04, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.
The links were a nice touch.

I liked what I heard of Therion.
Old 03-18-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyone else is looking for this type of music, I just bought Therion's Lemuria/Sirius B and Ayreon's Human Equasion based on the ovewhelmingly positive reviews they've received.

Both are completely over-the-top pompous prog/metal/classical Epics (capital "E") that would work well as a soundtrack to LOTR. Amazingly pretentious stuff, but awfully fun to play air guitar to and blast in your car.
Old 03-18-05, 10:08 PM

Well... if you're looking for something along the lines of Testament type metal check out Susperia album name is Unlimited. Just discovered them a couple of weeks ago and I can't stop listening to the cd. They have two other cd's Predominance is one and I believe Vindication is the other.

www.susperia.net