Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weinstein has conspiracy theory for 'Cold' Oscar snub

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-05-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now THIS is good.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news...&w=RTR&coview=

BERLIN (Hollywood Reporter) - Miramax Films co-chairman Harvey Weinstein said Thursday he believes the low Oscar-nomination count for "Cold Mountain" was due in part to stories in the U.S. press attacking the moviemakers' decision to shoot the U.S. Civil War drama in Europe and not America.

Weinstein, who jetted in to support the Anthony Minghella-directed story, which opened the Berlin International Film Festival, hinted that there had been a whispering campaign against the production because the filmmakers chose to shoot largely in lower-cost Romania.

Said Weinstein: "I'm proud of 'Cold Mountain' being a European film. The movie has done $80 million at the U.S. box office so far and is on its way to $100 million. But I think it (being shot in Romania) did hurt us with the Academy (voters)."

Weinstein stopped short of calling it a boycott by voters but said negative press may have resulted in "a move to deny the movie awards." The film received seven Oscar nominations, but not in the key best picture and director categories.

Said Minghella: "There has been a reaction in America and a real campaign to stop movies leaving America to shoot."

While Minghella said he understood the criticism, he defended his decision to shoot in Romania on economic terms. "It was a choice between making the movie (outside America) or not," he said. "We still spent nearly $20 million in the U.S."

Weinstein also attacked what he called American "discrimination" against European films and cited an example of how few are seen in the United States.

"We believe in European quotas because European movies are discriminated against in America," Weinstein said. "The major networks in America have not shown one single European movie in 25 years."

The news conference saw Weinstein face down a question on why the movie's three principal stars -- Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger -- failed to travel for the evening's gala.

He said Law and Zellweger are shooting movies in London, and Kidman had returned to Australia because of a "family situation."

Weinstein said he had offered to buy out the production of "Closer," which Law is shooting, in order to secure the actor's presence in Berlin.

"You know my reputation," Weinstein joked. "If I couldn't get them out (to Berlin), nobody could."

He played down any suggestion that the stars weren't supporting the movie's European rollout, which begins Monday on a release tour of the continent's capitals. Law and Zellweger will be traveling with the film, while Kidman is gearing up to do satellite interviews upon her return to New York.

Other attendees at the news conference included the movie's Philip Seymour Hoffman and Brendan Gleeson.
Old 02-05-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Zzzzzz........

He has a million reasons. None of them faulting himself. Maybe the fact that people are SICK of Harvey Weinstein is the reason Cold Mountain was snubbed?
Old 02-05-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Zzzzzz........

He has a million reasons. None of them faulting himself. Maybe the fact that people are SICK of Harvey Weinstein is the reason Cold Mountain was snubbed?
DING DING DING!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!
Old 02-05-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't know...

The CM commerical touting Reneé that shows a clip of her going on about rain or something or other is kinda funny/annoying..
Old 02-05-04, 10:49 PM
Banned

Cold Mountain is pretentious crap!!! Only movie I seriously thought about walking out of. I stayed because I did pay for a ticket and didn't have much to do. I felt so dumb after seeing it. Like I had just been duped into buying something I didn't actually want.
Old 02-05-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As much as I detest HW I have to agree with one of his points (and disagree with him at the same time)

This is true:
"Weinstein also attacked what he called American "discrimination" against European films and cited an example of how few are seen in the United States.

"We believe in European quotas because European movies are discriminated against in America," Weinstein said. "The major networks in America have not shown one single European movie in 25 years."

YET....HE is also the reason why so amny European films never make it to US shores!!
Old 02-06-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh Harvey, my tears flow like warterfalls because of your plight.

Mine for pity again when you dont treat foreign movies like trash.
Old 02-06-04, 12:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is what, three days after he claimed that Cold Mountain didn't get any oscars because it was released in December? He's really grasping at straws here. Plenty of Hollywood films are shot in Europe. This is the first time I've heard of it being a problem.
Old 02-06-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ha, what a joke. I doubt most people even knew where the damn movie was shot until Harvey started bitching about it. Why did this movie not get a best pic nod? Did Harvey ever consider that maybe, just maybe, there are five other movies that people favored over his flick? And if we are to consider some movie political motive for it not getting nominated, it's as said before...because people HATE Harvey's Oscar push, and they are sick of him shoving his movies down everyone's throat. Really, he needs to shut up and let the movie speak for itself. It's on its way to 90 plus million dollars, has been well reviewed and nominated for a few awards. When a movie is considered a disapointment for not getting best picture nods, well, geez, perhaps they're jsut expecting too much.
Old 02-06-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey Harv....people didn't like the movie that much.

And Harv....put some dirt on Nicole if she's supposed to be a civil-war era country gal in hard times. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-06-04, 02:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
When a movie is considered a disapointment for not getting best picture nods, well, geez, perhaps they're jsut expecting too much.
Well, the English Patient did get an ungodly amount of nominations and awards. I'm sure Harvey was expecting a repeat, and perhaps more, due to the bankability of the main stars.
Old 02-06-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Return of the King was shot in New Zealand. That's kind of the Europe of the southern hemisphere.
Old 02-06-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Well, the English Patient did get an ungodly amount of nominations and awards. I'm sure Harvey was expecting a repeat, and perhaps more, due to the bankability of the main stars.
True. For me, "The English Patient" was pure torture to sit through.....and I love period films like "A Room With A View" and "Howards End".

I like Nicole but think she is over-exposed these days. Glad she is finally shutting up about her divorce.
Old 02-06-04, 07:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I didn't even know the film was shot in Europe until I read this thread. Quite frankly, I'm sick of Weinstein making excuses for Cold Mountain. Harvey, your film didn't nominated: GET OVER IT!

Not to mention:

Return of the King was shot in New Zealand
Lost in Translation was shot in Japan
Master and Commander was shot in Ecuador and Mexico
Mystic River was shot in Iraq
Old 02-06-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
Old 02-06-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
How about bad marketing. None of the previews looked remotely interesting. Looked like a standard chick flick with the civil war as a back drop, not a civil war movie with elements of a love story.
Old 02-06-04, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
. . . and Seabiscuit in a bowl of saccharine.
Old 02-06-04, 09:35 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Did the thought ever occur to him that Cold Mountain simply may not be Oscar material? I enjoyed the movie, but did not feel that it deserved an Oscar nomination.
Old 02-06-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

God he is such an Oscar whore. Why do they (Miramax Films) feel such a need to pander to/beg the Academy for nominations?
Old 02-06-04, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by boston george
God he is such an Oscar whore. Why do they (Miramax Films) feel such a need to pander to/beg the Academy for nominations?
Well how else is he going to have people publicly thank him and praise him? Next time I hear someone thank him while getting an award I think I am going to put my foot through the TV. I am so sick of it.
Old 02-06-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
Did the thought ever occur to him that Cold Mountain simply may not be Oscar material? I enjoyed the movie, but did not feel that it deserved an Oscar nomination.
That's whay I thought when I saw it as well.
Old 02-06-04, 01:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I enjoyed the movie, but did not feel that it deserved an Oscar nomination.
I agree
Old 02-06-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a common mistake mixing up the Mystic and Euphrates Rivers.
Old 02-06-04, 02:16 PM
Banned

No, it wasn't. Unless you consider Boston, MA as being part of Iraq.
Old 02-06-04, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
[B]
"Weinstein also attacked what he called American "discrimination" against European films
So...when Harvey's Miramax gets a Best Picture nomination for Life is Beautiful and then Cold Mountain does not, somehow "discrimination" comes into play?! Plus, I would swear I've seen this broadcast on one of the big four networks.

And oh yeah, The Return of the King was released December 17th, just two weeks before the end of the year, yet somehow it seems to lead the Oscar field with eleven nominations.

Grasping for straws, grasping for straws...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.