Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

how is Chappell show doing ratings wise?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 06:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that show with a passion, and many of the people on this board seem to agree with me. Take away the constant advertisments and its an almost perfect show. (and im glad this season doesnt really have a musical guest every show)

anyway, its a big hit with me, with my friends and with the people on this board. I don't follow nelsen ratings, and really don't what the hell to look for. For a show that airs at 10:30 pm on a wednesday on comedy central, would this be considered a hit? How is it ratings wise in comparison to South Park and The Daily show?

Thanks.

"Nick cannon? Whose nick cannon?"

"Daddy, Nick Cannon's hilarious!"

"SHut the fu*k up son! I'm broke *****!"

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-05-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to watch it when it first came on but then he started haveing those stupid Rap guests at the end that take up a third of the show. You end up with less than 15 minutes of actual show so i dont really go out of my way to watch it anymore
Old 02-05-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Chappelle's show gets great ratings for a cable show. The debut episode this season brought in 3 million viewers. I remember reading last year that Chappelle's Show was there best performing first year series on Comedy Central since South Park. So I think Comedy Central will keep it around as long as Chappelle wants to do it. Plus it scores huge ratings in young males 18-34, beating any other show on TV, major broadcast networks included, at it's time slot.

Here's an article:
MTV couples strong reality bows
Sun Jan 25, 7:00 PM ET

DENISE MARTIN

(Variety) MTV's honeymoon ain't over yet.

A record number of viewers said "I do" Wednesday to the premieres of celebrity-couple skeins "Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica" and " 'Til Death Do Us Part: Carmen and Dave."

"Newlyweds" topped all cable and broadcast programs in 12-34 in the 10 p.m. hour. Premiere, up 80% in the target demo from the show's first-season debut, reached an impressive 4.7 million viewers and posted a 3.9 national rating/11 share in adults 18-34 and a 2.5/6 in adults 18-49.

"Newlyweds" also notched a stellar 6.1 national rating/21 share among female teens.

Launch of " 'Til Death Do Us Part" saw MTV's biggest 12-34 audience for a series premiere. Show ranked as the timeslot's top program in the demo among all cablers.

The 10:30 debut of " 'Til Death" drew 3.3 million total viewers; although it lost about one-third of the "Newlyweds" aud, the show posted a solid 1.7/5 in adults 18-49 and a 2.7/8 in adults 18-34.

Stumbling out of the gate, meanwhile, was the premiere of FX's frosh reality series "Todd TV," which drew 803,000 viewers. Number was about 10% lower than the cabler's primetime average from the previous year. Debut of "Todd TV," introducing the guy who's given up his life to the TV aud, lost almost half of its lead-in (theatrical "Dude, Where's My Car?") aud, posting a 0.5/1 in the key 18-49 category and 0.5/2 in 18-34.

Also, the second-season preem of Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show" drew a healthy 3 million total viewers, building on its "South Park" lead-in by 36%.

The 10:30 p.m. premiere was the most-watched cable show in its time period among viewers 18-49, posting a 1.7/5 in the demo and a 2.6/8 in 18-34. "Chappelle's Show" also ranked No. 1 in males 18-34 in its time period among broadcast and cable.

And on Nickelodeon, a new episode of "SpongeBob SquarePants" grabbed 3.7 million kid viewers, up 54% in the timeslot from last year's average. Show brought in 5.7 million total viewers, also up 50% from last year.

Copyright © 2003 Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. Variety is a registered trademark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. and used under license. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Dr_Evil; 02-05-04 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as there are guys like R. Kelly in the news and skits as funny as the ********** Family it will only grow.
Old 02-06-04, 03:42 PM

my TiVo never misses a chappelle's show episode.

i can't wait for the season 1 DVD box set.

now if only the Daily Show would come out with a DVD box set ... one can only hope.
Old 02-06-04, 05:37 PM

I recently started watching, and I have to say I love this show. It has to be the funniest thing on TV in quite some time
Old 02-06-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Vegas9203
I recently started watching, and I have to say I love this show. It has to be the funniest thing on TV in quite some time
Season 1 was hilarious.

If you love Dave's humor and are looking for more, pick up Dave's 1 hour stand-up - Killin Them Softly (if you havent seen it, it's definitely worth a blind buy IMO).
Old 02-06-04, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by the aftermath
Season 1 was hilarious.

If you love Dave's humor and are looking for more, pick up Dave's 1 hour stand-up - Killin Them Softly (if you havent seen it, it's definitely worth a blind buy IMO).
planning a trip to best buy tomorrow!
Old 02-06-04, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Puzznic
I used to watch it when it first came on but then he started haveing those stupid Rap guests at the end that take up a third of the show. You end up with less than 15 minutes of actual show so i dont really go out of my way to watch it anymore
22 minute show. Rap songs take - at most - 4 minutes.

That's almost 1/2 of 1/3. But hey, please, don't let facts get in the way.

RS
Old 02-07-04, 10:51 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just seems longer for those of us that loathe 99% of rap.

Glad to see the show doing well. It's the funniest thing I've seen on TV in a long while.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 02-07-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-07-04, 01:10 PM

My opinion on the music is that it's acutally done pretty well. It seems to be always towards the end, and I have to admit that DMX thing was pretty good. A lot better than other TV musical guest type stuff so far.
Old 02-07-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The "rap" on the last episode was hilarious.

Dave singing the theme songs to "Different Strokes" and "The Facts of Life" with the drummer from The Roots and John Mayer (or however you spell his name).
Old 02-07-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I also don't mind the rap at the end. I would actually go as far as saying I like it. I like how it's all about the performance, the beats and the lyrics. Unlike the music videos you see that are all about bitches and bling-bling and whips and other crap like that. It takes more to entertain when it's just them and the microphone. I think most of the people Dave has had on have delivered; he's made good decisions in that regard.
Old 02-08-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the music in the show. The Mos Def episode was the highlight for me. Overall my favorite sketch show since In Living Color's early days.
Old 02-11-04, 02:27 PM
Suspended

A friend of mine turned me onto this show the other night. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard. Already planning on getting the stand up dvd and season 1!

Another fan
Old 02-11-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been using that "What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!" joke all week.
Old 02-11-04, 06:04 PM
Suspended

5 fingers

5 fingers was great. and the Sam L JAckson beer still gets me every time. Did you see Chappelle on the Daily Show last night?? Classic. Another funny skit you can catch online is the IFC cartoon that has the voices of Janeanne Garofalo and Seth Green. very witty with the whole polish naked lesbian sausage maker bit!
Old 02-11-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked the Rick James skit, but I wish they would have had other stuff, too. In general, I, too, hate the friggin' musical guest crap.

Last week's rocked, though. LMFAO.
Old 02-12-04, 12:56 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Two words : Pop Copy
Old 02-12-04, 10:42 AM
Suspended

I didn't like season 1 as much as I'm liking season 2, it seems the humor is taken more to the next level this time around, though there were some classics in the first one like the R Kelly song Last night's rick james episode was great I agree about the musical guests though. In a 90 minute show like SNL it's ok, but to take up 1/4 of a half hour show is dumb. I know he wants to showcase rap artists and stuff but people aren't tuning in for that, in fact I bet most folks are switching channels when that comes on
Old 02-17-04, 02:14 PM
Suspended

chappelle on HBO

Chappelle did stand up on HBO last night. he was talking about how every black group should have a whte kid in the posse, ya know, for protection...funny stuff. I am a Janeanne Garofalo fan too. Woman pulls out all the stops. What is she up to lately?
Old 02-17-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I was a little disappointing in the Killing Me Softly special. Didn't really have that many laugh out loud moments as I thought it would. There are only so many ways you can tell the old "here's how white and black people are different" joke.
Old 02-17-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The recent "Samuel Jackson" skit was pretty funny.

"Why don't you stop yelling?"

"Because this is the way I talk, mother*****er!"

@ Chappelle
Old 02-17-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I was a little disappointing in the Killing Me Softly special. Didn't really have that many laugh out loud moments as I thought it would. There are only so many ways you can tell the old "here's how white and black people are different" joke.
True, but he's the only comedian who can make it funny 9 out of 10 times.
Old 02-18-04, 01:03 PM
Suspended

dave c

not only is it 9 times out of 10, but the material is so original! Challeppe said if he ever ran for president, he woudl have a Mexicano VP- so if anyone threatedend to veto him, he would instruct the VP to open the Mexico boarder flud gates! ha.

Last edited by Fletch F Fletch; 02-18-04 at 01:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.