Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ed Wood - What is reason for Lawsuit/Cancellation?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start off with an apology if this issue has already been addressed in one of the many Ed Wood Threads. I looked through a few pages but saw no answer for my question.

So, What is the nature of the Lawsuit which is preventing most of us from getting this movie?

I know it has been pulled from Store inventories, but why?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-05-04, 12:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mods, please don't merge this thread. I think it's good to seperate this topic from all the "I found it!" posts.
Old 02-05-04, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think there was ever an adequate answer given. The three leading rumors seem to be:

- There is something wrong w/ the DVD, while I've seen some reports of problems many more have reported having no problems w/ it.

- Recall to reissue w/ a new label after the Academy Awards.

- Recall due to ownership rights dispute (main speculation is that it's about the deleted scenes since everything else matchs R2/R4 releases, however generally different countries have different rights/royalty schemes so I don't know how much weight I'd put in that speculation).
Old 02-05-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disney accidentally released Ed Wood on their new disposable format. It will turn an unreadable black 48 hours after their packages are opened, exposing them to oxygen which reacts with the disc in a process similar to how Polaroid film develops.
Old 02-05-04, 12:55 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

No doubt Geoff will feature the concrete answer on the front page once it's known.
Old 02-05-04, 12:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Wannabe
Disney accidentally released Ed Wood on their new disposable format. It will turn an unreadable black 48 hours after their packages are opened, exposing them to oxygen which reacts with the disc in a process similar to how Polaroid film develops.
oh my
Old 02-05-04, 01:02 PM
Banned

That is not true....there are people who have had their copies for days and nothing has happened.
Old 02-05-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The reason that I've heard that makes the most sense is because of the "Dr. Acula" deleted scene/easter egg. In it Martin Laudau makes a pretty vicious reference to Universal pictures, so this seems most likely to me.
Old 02-05-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The comment was not vicious and even if it was, there is no way they would recall it. I'm sure there is some scene in some other dvd out there where someone says something negative about a studio.
Old 02-05-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The official response from the studios is that "distribution dates get changed all the time" and they plan to release it (unchanged) at a "better time".

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...5&catType=NEWS

Most people (myself included) feel that is pure B.S. Yes, release dates change all the time. But studios don't go through the trouble and expense of recalling a major title, at the last second. Unless there is a legal reason to do so.

There's something in the supplements (commentary, deleted scenes, whatever) causing this.
Old 02-05-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I heard they wanted to hold it until after the Oscars to see if Johnny Depp wins a Academy Award. If he does, they will mention this on the packaging.
Old 02-05-04, 01:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
I heard they wanted to hold it until after the Oscars to see if Johnny Depp wins a Academy Award. If he does, they will mention this on the packaging.

This doesn't make much sense either. It was cancelled before the nominations came out. Plus, the release of Lost In Translation was not delayed to see if Bill Murray wins. It has to be something else.
Old 02-05-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Seems like an INCREDIBLE amount of expense/trouble just to add the words "Academy Award winner" before someone's name, no? Not to mention that the odds of him actually winning are pretty slim. And also not to mention that adding those 3 words would likely increase sales by a whopping .0001%.

I know that is one of the rumors floating around, but it doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 02-05-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by THX7966
Plus, the release of Lost In Translation was not delayed to see if Bill Murray wins.
Different studio. But I don't think it's because of the Oscars either.

Rob
Old 02-05-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just think its amazing that the first page of dvdtalk has over 1000 posts concerning the Ed Wood dvd.

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 02-05-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 02:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by DavidH
The comment was not vicious and even if it was, there is no way they would recall it. I'm sure there is some scene in some other dvd out there where someone says something negative about a studio.
Don't underestimate the studios. Look at what happened with season 1 of "South Park."
Old 02-05-04, 02:21 PM
Banned

It's almost certain it's due to some rights/content issue, either the aforementioned Easter Egg, or the presence of deleted scenes.

According to the digitalbits:

Given the amount of money the studio and retailers stand to lose by pulling the disc at the 11th hour, it stretches credibility to believe that's the only reason. We've now heard off the record from sources that the title was pulled over a rights issue regarding material that was included in the supplements. If that's true, it would mean that any future release will likely be altered in some way (some extras might be edited or dropped entirely from the disc)... it seems likely that whatever the reason is, the disc will be released again in the future but not with the same bonus material. So use that information as you will.
Old 02-05-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
I don't think there was ever an adequate answer given. The three leading rumors seem to be:

- There is something wrong w/ the DVD, while I've seen some reports of problems many more have reported having no problems w/ it.

- Recall to reissue w/ a new label after the Academy Awards.

- Recall due to ownership rights dispute (main speculation is that it's about the deleted scenes since everything else matchs R2/R4 releases, however generally different countries have different rights/royalty schemes so I don't know how much weight I'd put in that speculation).
A 4th rumor, which I personally doubt but have heard mentioned enough places to be considered among the suspects for the recall is that Burton is unhappy with the extras and wanted to tweak them. Specifically mentioned is the commentary.
Old 02-05-04, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 4th rumor, which I personally doubt but have heard mentioned enough places to be considered among the suspects for the recall is that Burton is unhappy with the extras and wanted to tweak them. Specifically mentioned is the commentary.
I'd rank that above the redoing the case thing as far as believability. I still think though had that been the case Disney would have told him to piss off unless he has some sort of contractual final say so. I still think the one about the rights is the most likely as I don't see any company going through the expense of a recall unless the loss of more money was on the line.
Old 02-05-04, 03:09 PM

Seriously... if Burton wasn't happy, doesn't that just open the door for Disney to doubledip on Ed Wood, and release the 2-Disc Academy Award Edition?

I would imagine you'd see that before a costly recall...
Old 02-05-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
oh my
You're listening to a mere "member" on this? No offense to Wannabe, but when I saw that user name and "member" I knew not to put much stock into that post.

I can buy the fact that Burton is unhappy with the DVD. I am unhappy with the DVD. It is the same thing as the region two version, with the exception of the deleted scenes. For all the delay we have had on this so far, I was led to believe (mabye because I wanted to believe it, as I don't reall exact news postings on it in the past) that they were prepping NEW bonus features for the American release, and that it would potentially be a two disc set. Now that may just be my wishful thinking, but if they were delaying it all this time, I thought it was for a good reason. All we got was the same transfer and menus and supplements the region two had, with the exception of the deleted scenes. I think that's just plain sloppy and a slap in the face to the fans who have been wating so long for this.

We will know only when the re-release comes out. If it is the same and is void only of the deleted scenes, that will be our answer. If everything is different from the menus to the supplements and maybe even a two disc, then I think it will be much more justified, but I get the feeling a recall of this nature is due to legalities, not because Tim Burton didn't want to "double dip" fans for a two disc version later on.
Old 02-05-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think Wannabe was being sarcastic...
Old 02-05-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wannabe
link?
Old 02-05-04, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by UKingdom
That is not true....
It's not?!
Old 02-05-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I'd highly doubt that one. His previous commentaries were mediocre at best. He hardly says anything during the tracks. Also why would he wait until a weak before the release to find a problem with the extras?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.