Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What are the chances that the DVD studios will switch from keep cases to ThinPaks?

Community
Search

What are the chances that the DVD studios will switch from keep cases to ThinPaks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the chances...

that the DVD studios will switch from the current standard black keep cases to ThinPak cases?

I've started converting my collection to them, and they are fantastic. 2 ThinPaks to every one standard. My display area has now doubled and they simply look sleeker.

They could ship more DVDs to a box, and stores could display more copies.

Any downsides to a changeover?
Old 02-05-04, 11:09 AM

personally I'd be against - the thinpak cases look a bit cheap to (you mean something like this right?) and the thinness would make the spine text hard to hard as it would have to be resized. I actually would sometimes preffer something wider - like the size of the lotr:ee's

however, maybe you could snap some pictures of your now converted collection to show how it would look like?

btw, why do I keep writting thinkpad instead of thinpad? couldn't get it right for 3 times
Old 02-05-04, 11:16 AM

I'll take a few shots when I get home...
I've done about 25 titles so far, and it just looks better.

I'm planning on ordering some of the double ThinPaks to try them out as well. For now, anything with a cardboard sleeve or multiple discs keeps it's original...but in the future...

The coolest thing, for me, is that I can put the chapter listing behind the cover, and there's no worries about a kid getting their grimy hands on it. If the studios did them, I would expect covers like the ones on Futurama, which are printed on both sides, so you can see them through the clear cases.

PS - I also catch myself typing Thinkpad instead of ThinPak... IBM's marketing works!
Old 02-05-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey NYH, do you do anything on the spine so you can tell what the titles are? I've been thinking about ThinPak too.
Old 02-05-04, 11:26 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by silent
btw, why do I keep writting thinkpad instead of thinpad? couldn't get it right for 3 times
Do you mean thinpak?
Old 02-05-04, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Hey NYH, do you do anything on the spine so you can tell what the titles are? I've been thinking about ThinPak too.
If i was a cheapie/bargain DVD, or one I don't care much about the packaging, I'll just trim the original cover it to get the logo across the spine. It's pretty readable from about 10 feet.

On others, I scan it, and fit it to a template available on DVDcoverart.com and make the spine logo big enough to read.

You'll see in the pictures...whenever I do them.
Old 02-05-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm much too busy watching my dvds to diddle with them ... and keep cases take up half the room that a VHS took up, so I feel like I've already started saving enough space.
Old 02-05-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've converted over all my single disc television and anime series to thinpaks. I find that the spines remain distinguishabe even when thinpaked, but especially so on multi-disc releases like Space 1999. I've used the keep cases freed up by thinpaking the TV and anime series to convert my snappers to keep cases.
Old 02-05-04, 04:23 PM

That would be difficult for retailers - it would be even tougher to see when people are walking through the racks at Best Buy. They would have to double or triple the shelf space because all of the titles would have to face forward.

Secondly - there are some people who like dvd inserts. I am not one of them but there are those who crave them (for whatever reason).

For me - it's a moot point. All of my dvd boxes are in one much bigger cardboard box, while the disks sit in my 300 disk changer.
Old 02-05-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No chance in hell. They might as well just start using cd cases. Those save a bunch of space. I'd like to be able to pick a dvd off my shelf without the aide of a microscope to the the title of the movie Im selecting.
Old 02-05-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think keepcases are best -- though I do like digipacks for multi discs.

I doubt thinpaks will ever take off.

P.S. Anyone notice Grease is now available in a keepcase? Definitely looks much better than the thinpak.
Old 02-05-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by silent

however, maybe you could snap some pictures of your now converted collection to show how it would look like?
Here's an image on some of AnimeonDVD.com proprietor Chris Beveridge's DVDs with the thinpak treatment.

Originally posted by bogrod
Secondly - there are some people who like dvd inserts. I am not one of them but there are those who crave them (for whatever reason).
In the clear thinpaks most inserts look superb sitting directly behind the cover art unfoleded such that text and images are visable when the case is opened.
Old 02-05-04, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
In the clear thinpaks most inserts look superb sitting directly behind the cover art unfoleded such that text and images are visable when the case is opened.
Well, that might be true. Still - the sheer thickness of the inserts is still somewhat limited. There's only so much space inside those thin cases.
Old 02-05-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I think the one's in Chris Beveridge's picture are too hard to read. I don't think the regular case is that thick, so I don't have a problem with it.

I have looked at sets in the store that use them (Family Guy?) and those look good, but not for individual titles. Maybe just boxsets.

I do have one, it came with an AOL disc, and it sat unused for the longest time. When Best Buy released the unaired South Park pilot DVD, I printed out the cover and cut it to fit and put it in front of my Season 1 box. I used the low res version that somebody had posted in a thread, and on regular paper, so it kinda gives it a neat, bootleg feel
Old 02-05-04, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Here's an image on some of AnimeonDVD.com proprietor Chris Beveridge's DVDs with the thinpak treatment.

They look awesome...

I can't wait til I'm finished with my collection...
Old 02-05-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know who has the best price for these thinpaks?
Old 02-05-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, thinpacks are becoming quite popular with TV show releases. I like them for those, and for box sets, but I prefer Keepcases for most movies.
Old 02-05-04, 06:35 PM
Banned

I sure could save a shitload a room with thinpack cases...they look pretty cool too...but kinda hard to read ya know...
Old 02-05-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Wannabe
Anyone know who has the best price for these thinpaks?
I don't know if they're the absolute cheapest, but I checked several sites prices and then went with
U.S. Plastics Corp.

EDIT: Actually, in looking at my records it turns out I ultimately ended up placing my order with tapeandmedia.com. I paid $98.44 including UPS shipping for 260 thinpaks -- about 38 cents each.

http://www.tapeandmedia.com/detail.a...THINPACK-CLEAR

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I sure could save a shitload a room with thinpack cases...they look pretty cool too...but kinda hard to read ya know...
I agree to an extent. I think they work great with series -- I think Space 1999 looks far better in 16 thinpaks than it did in 16 keep cases. However, I don't use thinpaks for individual movies because I prefer the thicker spines, though I think the titles are still pretty visible even on individual titles. Here's another pic. This one of Chris Beveridge's non-anime DVDs some of which are thinpaked:

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 02-07-04 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 07:28 PM

Admittedly, I have fantastic vision...
but from how far away do you need to be able to read your spines? Mine are easily visible from 10 feet.
Old 02-05-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the thin-ness, but I don't think I could live with those tiny spine labels.
Old 02-05-04, 08:04 PM

I have heard some reports that some retailers (you know, the evil ones like Best Buy and Wal-Mart) are lobbying for either the Thin Paks or CD type cases for DVD's so that they can stock more in the available space.
Old 02-05-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What are the chances...

Originally posted by NYHOFSTRA
What are the chances... that the DVD studios will switch from the current standard black keep cases to ThinPak cases?
Slim to none.
Old 02-05-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would quit buying DVDs if they started shipping them in these things.

Even I don't believe myself.
Old 02-05-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brak55
I have heard some reports that some retailers (you know, the evil ones like Best Buy and Wal-Mart) are lobbying for either the Thin Paks or CD type cases for DVD's so that they can stock more in the available space.
Totally makes sense. There's no reason to have DVD cases as tall as they are. They could take two inches off the height of a standard case to display 25% more inventory. The only reason for the size of the keep case is that it is the same size as a vhs tape and it fit existing shelves (sort of like the old cd longboxes fitting the shelves designed for lps). Now that vhs is being phased out, they could move to a shorter case. However, while I like the width of the thinpaks, I think they might be too thin for retailer's shelves.

Last edited by Wannabe; 02-05-04 at 08:13 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.