Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The West Wing 2/4/04

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
The West Wing 2/4/04

No thread for this yet? Come on, the episode wasn't that bad. Reforming Social Security should be that easy.
Old 02-05-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you serious? The episode was awful - loaded with interesting ideas, but crushed down to fit into 42 minutes (where in previous seasons it would have been six or seven episodes). The writing? Jesus, I had to open the doors and windows to let the stink out of my house...

Seriously, if you want to see just how the mighty have fallen, put this episode up against any episode from Season 1 or 2... I keep asking myself why I continue to tune in.
Old 02-05-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i usually like individual episodes and i thought that this one started off well, but by the end, was just too compressed. as usual, richard schiff did a fine job, but the storyline should have taken longer than one hour. it was also very un-josh like to ask donna to spy like that.
Old 02-05-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
It was okay - nothing special.
Old 02-05-04, 12:52 PM

Boooo....NBC's going down the crapper. This was/is my favorite show, but really the only thing I turn into NBC for anymore is Tom Brokaw and Scrubs.

Let's recap, shall we? In the last few years, NBC has done the following:
Lost the NBA
Lost the NFL
Lost the MLB
Pushed for an extra season of Friends - an extra-bad season at that
Allowed their 2nd biggest comedy to get away in Frasier
Allowed Ed to teeter totter on the cancellation tightrope for 2 years and in the process the show hasn't really had direction since then
Pissed Sorkin off until he left the best show on TV and now it's fallen into the crapper
Kept crap shows such as Good Morning Miami when they should have been fostering the growth of their shows of the future (ahem, Scrubs)
Allowed SNL to really fall off the charts into the super-crappy nether-region
Average Joe - 'nough said. I liked it until the last episode and don't even talk to me about AJ II

The list goes on, but I'll stop there before I get a coronary. The fact of the matter is that a broadcast network cannot foster their programming without major sports to throw in there - look at Fox as an example: they never really took off until they got the NFL - and NBC took a gamble on the XFL and lost bigtime, and now everything else is suffering as well.

I grew up watching everything on NBC, and now it sucks and I'm mad. That's the bottom line of this whole rant.
Old 02-05-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
It was okay - nothing special.
SOunds like I haven't been missing much. I was just checking to see if they brought back the funny yet.
Old 02-05-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was a somewhat interesting episode. I thought it illustrated pretty well that one of the big things that gets in the way of politics doing what it's supposed to do is politics.
Originally posted by kevin75
but by the end, was just too compressed. as usual, richard schiff did a fine job, but the storyline should have taken longer than one hour.
I do agree with this though, the episode would've been better served if things didn't get resolved in the end, as the rest of the episode was illustrating why things like that don't happen. Also it would've been interesting to see where the resignation took Toby's character.
it was also very un-josh like to ask donna to spy like that.
Actually, I think that was very Josh like.

Originally ranted by Meteu185
Boooo....
Wow, what an excellent analysis of "Slow News Day". After reading that I think I may need to revaluate my thoughts on the episode.
Old 02-05-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really hoped that this show could survive the departure of Sorkin. I really did.

I wanted to continue loving this show. I really did.

But, I also have to face reality. The show is bland, mediocre, and a pale shadow of its former self. The "best" shows this season have been merely OK. Time to either fix this or pull the plug. Frankly, without Sorkin, I'd vote for the latter.
Old 02-05-04, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Tscott

Wow, what an excellent analysis of "Slow News Day". After reading that I think I may need to revaluate my thoughts on the episode.
My analysis was of the current state of NBC, not of the episode. My thoughts on the episode were already stated by previous posters so I saw no reason to add the "Naw, didn't like it" post.
Old 02-05-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the episode started off really good, and there was some funny stuff but it was wrapped up way too quickly. Plus the whole Tobey giving his resignation thing was kind of lousy.

What I thought was really funny is that Ramon Salizar from 24 is flirting with CJ. That cracked me up.
Old 02-05-04, 04:20 PM

Yeah, the day after we all saw him blow up...like he could really have gotten past White House security. I mean, come on...
Old 02-05-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait, so Toby resigned?
Old 02-05-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Wait, so Toby resigned?
Briefly, then Josh helped him and THEY SAVED SOCIAL SECURITY!
The ending was way too rushed, there was no resolution of how they pulled it off, it was strictly "a miracle happened" and everybody is sitting down, compromising. But I have to be a contrarian and say I thought the first 50 minutes or so were quite good.

Next week should be interesting
Spoiler:
Looks like we are going to "slag" a new rogue nuclear state. But the promo is probably misleading.
Old 02-05-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by dcprules
What I thought was really funny is that Ramon Salizar from 24 is flirting with CJ. That cracked me up.
This saved the episode for me. No, episode wasn't good but they've had worse episodes.
Old 02-05-04, 08:02 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
The one redeeming thing about this episode was that it showed the political reasons why it is so difficult to do anything to bolster/change social security.

Ramon Salazar was cool, too.