Community
Search

Will you buy Schindlers List?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 02:59 AM
JM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will you buy Schindlers List?

It may initially seem like a silly question, but I am being serious.

It is a very powerful, hard hitting, emotional, harrowing and superbly made movie.

But I will not be buying it.

Why?

Quite simply because it is not a film I can see myself watching repeatedly.

Some movies you can throw on when you are in the mood and watch them, or even bits of movies. But a movie like this needs to be watched in it's entirity. And I would not describe it as a pleasant experience -you tend to admire it rather than enjoy it.

Enjoy is probably the wrong word, I know.

I try to buy movies I know I am going to watch more than once, otherwise I just don't buy them. It's been a few years since I saw this, and I could certainly sit and watch it again, but it would probably be a very long time before I would want to watch it again.

I am sure there are some that will just buy this movie anyway, either because of it's reputation, because it is Speilberg, or because they saw it originally and were moved by it - but are they thinking about the re-watchability factor?

I don't believe in having a movie just to say that you have it, y'know? Like it's expected of you to have certain classic movies in your collection. I am probably missing a lot of what would be considered classic movies, as much as I may like them.

I am not taking anything away from the movie at all, just wondering if there are people who may think the same way, or is everyone just going to rush out and buy this regardless?
Old 02-05-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would it be wrong to enjoy the film? I own the LD and I can say that I have seen it more then enough times to even begin to count right now. It is a very powerful movie and really, I know in my life time I will see this film more then 3 times. My judgement on films I buy is if the cost and trouble to rent them out weighs the cost of the dvd, I will buy the dvd without question. This is one of those cases.

I will buy it regardless of the fact that I wont pop the disc in and view only a select number of scenes. Most of my films I watch through the entire thing. Not to mention the ability to let others watch it.

I'm buying it.
Old 02-05-04, 03:44 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be buying
Old 02-05-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
NO! I was going to, but during the last poll on this very same subject I read the comments. Several people said that although it's a very good movie, that it's very depressing and not the kind of movie I would want to watch again and again. I have to agree with those folks. As I only buy DVDs which I plan to watch once a year or more, I'll be passing on this one. I'll rent it once, and maybe rent it again in another 10 years!
Old 02-05-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When they release it, I will buy it.

When I watch it for the first time it will be worth it because I can choose at the spur of a moment when I want to watch it.
Old 02-05-04, 04:14 AM
JM1

Jackskeleton, I respect your opinion. If you get enjoyment out of watching the film, and can watch it repeatedley, no problem. I am not saying that's wrong. I don't personally find this a film that I can enjoy because of the subject matter, but I accept it's an important piece of work, and one of Speilbergs greatest achievements.

Danwiz, gotta say I am a little disturbed that you have decided not to buy it because of what others have said. You have to at least watch this movie once, even if you only rent it or borrow it from someone before you make that decision.

Gotta make your own decisions, dude.

It should be your choice.
Old 02-05-04, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You know, sometimes a depressing film is in order, or for that matter, I have a taste for it. For as much sadness there is in the film, it does end with hope and on a note that someone did something which resulted in the saving of generations to follow.

That's not to say it's one of those films that is very powerful in it's own right, I own the virgin suicide even though I found the film to be very depressing. I enjoy the film making process, I enjoy the story, I enjoy how it shows the character developement of one man who is bent on making a buck to caring about others and saving them.

I can see why you wouldn't buy it. But for me, this film is one that I simply must own. I know I will rent it more then enough times if I wasn't going to buy it, so I might aswell go full tilt and buy it.
Old 02-05-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be buying.
Old 02-05-04, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Already preordered......have not seen in years...may view it and sell but I doubt it.
Old 02-05-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in.
Old 02-05-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You bet I will buy it.
Old 02-05-04, 06:37 AM

Even though it's a film I'll watch once a year (maybe), it's still an important film that should be in my collection.
Old 02-05-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
I will be getting it also... and the boxset, no less.

It's a film I love. That's the only reason I need to own it.
Old 02-05-04, 06:54 AM
JM1

Y'see Russ, that's interesting. That's exactly the reason why I would not buy it.

I can accept the once a year thing, because I probably have movies I will only watch that often (But I know I will at least want to watch it more than once), but it's the "having to own it because it's an important film" aspect that I don't subscribe to.

I have a reasonably large collection, but I have never felt the need to own movies because they are important, or critically lauded, or cult movies. And neither do I feel inadequate if someone asks if I have a certain movie and I don't.

My DVD collection is not a status symbol.

For example, I would not personally put a link to my collection on my profile. I accept that people will say they do it because others can see what sort of films they are into and get an idea of where the person is coming from, but in all honesty you cannot deny a slight narcissistic "Hey look at all my movies" element to it?

No offence intended here, just putting my point across.
Old 02-05-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm out.
Old 02-05-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This question was already put to a poll and covered here.
Old 02-05-04, 07:23 AM

Definitly buying it.
Old 02-05-04, 08:10 AM
JM1

Did not see the Poll thread, just had a look. A lot of very narrow minded and frankly offensive posters, which surprises me.

I give the movie it's due as an important piece of work, and don't subscribe to some of the over the top comments in that thread at all.
Old 02-05-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't plan on it, but most of my DVds were unplanned.
Old 02-05-04, 08:34 AM

I won't be, because like you, it's a movie that I can't see myself watching over and over again.
Old 02-05-04, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You know, sometimes a depressing film is in order, or for that matter, I have a taste for it. For as much sadness there is in the film, it does end with hope and on a note that someone did something which resulted in the saving of generations to follow.

I couldn't agree more. I have the laser disc, and when my LD player was hooked up, I watched Schindler's List at least once a year. I actually think it's a pretty good movie to watch when you're feeling down, as it tends to put your own problems in perspective. In short, not only does it end on a note of hope, but it reminds me to count my blessings that, all things considered, even when things aren't going my way my life is pretty damn good.
Old 02-05-04, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I will more than likely will be buying this film, but I have a question re: the specs, specifically there was a rumour that the DVD will include previousily deleted footage as a supplement, is this true?
Old 02-05-04, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I've never gotten around to seeing it before I'll watch it first and then decide...
Old 02-05-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I won't be buying it.
Old 02-05-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched it for the first time on widescreen VHS a few weeks back..... I will definitely be buying it on DVD. A very good movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.