Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews on THE RETURNER?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw previews for it on SO CLOSE (great action scenes, mediocre movie) and it looks cool (if a bit cliche), and I know if streets next week. Just trying to decide if I should preorder from DD or just hit Best Buy on street date.
Old 02-04-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Read one at DVD File just now.
Old 02-04-04, 09:39 AM

just found the DVD Talk one too, I missed it the first time I scanned the current reviews.
Old 02-04-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Oops, I missed that one too. Here it is...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9357
Old 02-04-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Read one at DVD File just now.
Here's the link:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi.../returner.html
Old 02-04-04, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the link, looks like I'll be using a suncoast gift certificate instead of paying actual money for it.
Old 02-05-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Thanks for the link, looks like I'll be using a suncoast gift certificate instead of paying actual money for it.
Good plan.
Old 02-09-04, 06:35 AM

I bought this when I saw the trailer on Ain't it cool news, Got the R3 dts version from cdwow for £7, but there is a better version with postcards etc but it is more expensive.
I liked the film, it stolen loads of ideas from other films but uses them in a good way, not much dialogue ( for all those people who don't like to subtitles).
I would say buy it.
Old 02-09-04, 06:45 PM
Cool New Member

I really liked this movie, granted it does borrow a lot from many other films, it had a style that kept you hooked. I have the R3 from an early pressing that is actually R0!
Any idea how this compares to the R1?
Old 02-09-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad Josh & I agree on this film.
Old 02-10-04, 12:27 AM
Dai

I've seen another version of this release, which I'm assuming is either the HK or some other asian release.

The cover looks like this:

I saw this at a local Futurshop, so it would have to be either Region 0 or 1.

Anyone know the difference between this and the new release???
Old 02-10-04, 08:19 PM

I ran out and bought it @ Walmart - cant wait to see this.

Last edited by BiMonSciFiCon; 02-11-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
As long as you think that imitation is the sincerest forM of flattery.. you should enjoy this flick. I will give it mad props for tying up all loose ends. It was fun, but if you try to take it seriously, you're gonna be one mad viewer.
Old 02-11-04, 05:12 PM

Well , just got it in the mail today from netflix , will have to watch it tonight.
Old 02-16-04, 12:08 AM

Here's the one I did for my site two weeks ago:
http://enterline2.tripod.com/enterline/id119.html

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell
Old 02-16-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got done watching it...

I really dig this film. It was a good B-movie sci fi action fest. Sure, its a B-movie but that's what made it good. It didnt try to be anything more. THe characters were cool, the aliens were cool, the transforming ships were cool, the slow mo shoot em ups were cool. I am definitely going to pick this movie up when it gets cheaper.

LIke Ultraviolet's review, watch it in the original dialogue. The english does change it alot, especially when the old man and the main baddie are talking supposidly in two languages. In english this is not even mentioned and there is an interpreter that just talks to the old man for no reason... SOme of the other stuff is changed too in the English dub.
Old 02-16-04, 09:21 AM

i went ahead and just bought it after seeing a trailer on the 'so close' dvd. the trailer rocked. and the movie itself rocked even more. i just wanted to say that i really liked this movie. it's my kind of movie, cool guy in leather coat, sunglasses, guns, bullet-time, great visual and special effects, great story, and hip dialogue. highly recommended for matrix/equilibrium/japanese action crowd.

the bullet-time sequences were great
Old 02-17-04, 05:55 PM

i finally had a chance to watch this over the weekend - no new ground covered here - but what a fun flick. Watch it if u are a fan of b movies.
Old 02-22-04, 08:35 AM

Well, I picked it up and for some reason totally forgot to post a review.

I'll start with the negatives, first there is nothing original in this movie. It is all completely cliche and you can actually sit there and name the other movies they are stealing from. While the acting is very good for the most part, can someone explain that why is it in Japanese and Chinese films the "American" actors speak worse english than the Japanese/Chinese actors who usually only know the english words they are reading off the script? Also, while viewing, be careful not to fall into any plotholes, as they litter the film.

Now for the positives. The picture is great, didn't notice any artifacting or the likes. The sound is also well done too. I already mentioned the acting, which was overall very good (I even liked the way the villain was played over the top). Now, what makes this movie worth watching again (seeing that everything in it has been seen before) is the action and FX scenes. The FX in this movie are better than anything I have seen in some of the more big budget US movies to come out recently (definetly better than the crap in Matrix Revolutions), and thankfully they are generally used sparingly. The action scenes themselves (with or without FX) are very nicely done and have a real thrill level to them (without spoiling it by becoming too over the top). This is definitely one of the better foreign language action films out there at the moment if you are looking for something with a sci-fi twist to it (even if you are not, pick this up over the EXTREMELY disappointing SO CLOSE, a movie the I really wanted to like and now will not even give it the second viewing I give all movies before writing a review).
Old 02-22-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
So Close succeeds at the GwG genre while Returner is a bland rehash of ideas stolen fron countless Hollywood sci-fi films. It has some good actions scenes, some good and some not so good CGI, and it's a waste of Takeshi Kaneshiro's talent. But that's just my humble opinion.