Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Will using a European PAL DVD player eliminate the 4% speedup?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-03-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a projector which will accept a PAL signal. As it stands now, I play my R2 PAL discs on a Cyberhome which does PAL->NTSC conversion, but of course has the 4% speedup. If I were to buy an actual PAL DVD player from the UK for instance, and played an R2 PAL DVD on it, would the audio output be at the correct pitch or would it still have the 4% speedup? (Obviously I'd need a voltage converter to operate it.)

Please help me, I'm an idiot.
Old 02-03-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PAL speedup is due to their video. I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but NTSC runs at like 26 frames per second, and pal is 29.

The problem is how was it filmed.

I could be wrong though, numbers I'm sure are off.
Old 02-03-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PAL is 25 FPS and NTSC is 29 FPS I believe. I don't think you can get past the speedup since the FPS are fixed for the specific formats.
Old 02-03-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your projector accepts and outputs PAL, and you're using a PAL player, then there shouldn't be any speed up. If your projector converts it to NTSC (don't see why it would) then you would get the speed up. Just doublecheck that the projector won't convert it to NTSC, and make sure you can use the PAL DVD player on you electrical outlet and you'll be good to go.

I'm almost willing to bet that you won't see a difference. Most people don't notice the speed up, and those that think they do are often wrong. It's mainly psychological. Ask anyone from a PAL country like the UK that gets a lot of US NTSC programming also if they notice anything on the conversion.
Old 02-04-04, 03:03 AM

The speedup is there regardless if pal native or converted to ntsc if the dvd audio hasn't been pitch corrected. The root issue is going 24 -> 25 FPS. As with any pitch issue, it entirely subjective. There are far too many people in this world who think they sound good when they sing...those of us with ears know otherwise. Pal speedup is akin to this.
Old 02-06-04, 06:28 PM
AOD

Originally posted by Furious
The speedup is there regardless if pal native or converted to ntsc if the dvd audio hasn't been pitch corrected. The root issue is going 24 -> 25 FPS. As with any pitch issue, it entirely subjective. There are far too many people in this world who think they sound good when they sing...those of us with ears know otherwise. Pal speedup is akin to this.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The speedup is due to the format. So, if you were to get a PAL dvd player, the 4% speedup will still be there. It's the nature of the format, not whether or not to get a PAL player.
Old 02-07-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
What I don't understand is that 25fps is closer to 24fps than 29fps is to 24fps. So wouldn't it be that the NTSC versions are too slow and we're just used to that and that's why PAL usually sounds fast to people? Genuinely confused by this.