Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

RFC: THE VEIL (Boris Karloff's cancelled series)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in your thoughts about this one. I'm not a big horror buff, but I am a huge Karloff fan and this looked quite yummy.

The Veil, produced in 1958, was a made-for-television series of creepy, supernatural dramatizations hosted by Boris Karloff. Only finishing ten episodes before going bankrupt, the production company was never able to get the shows aired before it went under. A few films were created from the footage at one point, but this set contains the actual episodes in their entirety, as they were intended to be broadcast.

MISS PEACH

2-DISK SET
DESTINATION NIGHTMARE
FOOD ON THE TABLE
GENESIS
GIRL ON THE ROAD
JACK THE RIPPER
SUMMER HEAT
THE CRYSTAL BALL
THE DOCTORS
THE RETURN OF MADAME VERNOY
VISION OF CRIME

Old 02-03-04, 04:25 PM

Greetings!
I have it, I wouldn't really classify it as "horror" more of a Twilight zone/Outer limits anthology type series.
I like it, but I like that kind of show.
If your a HUGE Karloff fan,I would get a copy-no question.

CHEERS! jefff
Old 02-04-04, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Etrigan
Greetings!
I have it, I wouldn't really classify it as "horror" more of a Twilight zone/Outer limits anthology type series.
I like it, but I like that kind of show.
If your a HUGE Karloff fan,I would get a copy-no question.

CHEERS! jefff
Took me a minute to figure out that "copy-no" wasn't a version of the title somehow related to "question" ha ha. (copy, no question)

Jeff, you see that's precisely why it looked intriguing to me — The TZ-ish nature of the stories. Also I just think Karloff is a fabulously-underrated Classical Actor.

I guess what's giving me hesitation is the half-hour nature of these stories. I do wish they were one-hour episodes (were the TZ episodes one hour? can't remember). That JACK THE RIPPER episode looked particularly intriguing (don't spoil it for me though Jeff ha ha, I'm probably going to be getting it).

The set looks yummy to me precisely because it isn't horror-focused, and (for once) Barnes & Noble's price is actually lower than most others. (I get many of my DVDs from B&N free because of my Rewards program with them and I've got about $100 in certificates coming in over the next few months, thus I'm vetting this title.)

I'm very sensitive to voices (one of the reasons I can't stand Tom Cruise) and imo Karloff had one of the most gorgeous speaking voices. I always thought he was quite handsome in his own way, too.

Thanks for the feedback!

PEACH
Old 02-07-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MISS PEACH
... I do wish they were one-hour episodes (were the TZ episodes one hour? can't remember)...
From tvtome.com:

Note: Seasons 1-3 & 5 have a running time of 30 minutes. All of the episodes in Season 4 have a running time of one hour.
Old 02-07-04, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by obscurelabel
From tvtome.com:

Note: Seasons 1-3 & 5 have a running time of 30 minutes. All of the episodes in Season 4 have a running time of one hour.
Okay so, two of the episodes are 1 HOUR and the other eight are ½ HOUR? Math challenged here heh.

PEACH
Old 02-09-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 10 episodes of THE VEIL are also available on this Brentwood DVD set:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=578985

along with 10 other movies. Not a bad deal, although quality is likely suspect (as with all Brentwood releases).
Old 02-09-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Veil is decent, not great. I had this set, watched it once and traded it... Mostly forgettable TZ style series... Entertaining enough one time around but nothing that I wanted to watch again... YMMV of course.

Technical - The transfers are fine... Again, not great, but I've seen much worse...
Old 02-09-04, 07:24 PM

I have always loved anthologies like this. I just ordered it from DDD. I also noticed that the entire original "One Step Beyond" is coming up 2/24. Every episode for around $75. I will wait and read feedback and possibly get it. I have original "Outer Limits" Vols. 1 and 2. Great stuff. Glad you brought this to my attention MISS PEACH.
Old 02-09-04, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
The Veil is decent, not great. I had this set, watched it once and traded it... Mostly forgettable TZ style series... Entertaining enough one time around but nothing that I wanted to watch again... YMMV of course.

Technical - The transfers are fine... Again, not great, but I've seen much worse...
I love your signature. I wonder how our boy danol is doing? Too bad he got banned forever. He was a trip!
Old 02-10-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarnower
I also noticed that the entire original "One Step Beyond" is coming up 2/24. Every episode for around $75.
Every episode? Do you have a link?
Old 02-10-04, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
The 10 episodes of THE VEIL are also available on this Brentwood DVD set:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=578985

along with 10 other movies. Not a bad deal, although quality is likely suspect (as with all Brentwood releases).
Thank you for listing this bboisvert. 7 of the 10 (non-VEIL) titles I now have on my 50-MOVIE MONSTER PACK:
ATOM AGE OF THE VAMPIRE
DEAD MEN WALK
KING OF THE ZOMBIES
REVOLT OF THE ZOMBIES
THE APE
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN’T DIE
THE SCREAMING SKULL

But it's good to know this alternate collection is available. I'm still leaning toward buying the Boxed 2-Disk version, as I have a sneaking feeling this one will become a Collector's item in time. Something Weird indeed heh.

PEACH
Old 02-10-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still leaning toward buying the Boxed 2-Disk version, as I have a sneaking feeling this one will become a Collector's item in time.
I'm not trying to sway you into buying any particular edition with this comment but... I can't think of too many public domain titles that become "collector's items". I don't know what would lead you to believe that this case would be any different. ??
Old 02-10-04, 05:46 PM

Every episode? Do you have a link?
Just go to Amazon. It's listed along with many other "One Step Beyond" episodes. It's the one that something like $75.00. Coming up on 2/24.
Old 02-11-04, 08:19 AM

I'm not trying to sway you into buying any particular edition with this comment but... I can't think of too many public domain titles that become "collector's items". I don't know what would lead you to believe that this case would be any different. ??
Ah. The packaging my friend. If you doubt it, observe some of the auction sales on OOP books. Based upon your argument, why would anyone buy a smelly old 1st Edition of Mutiny On The Bounty when fresh, new versions (hardcover and paperback) are readily available? Because they aren't making that dustcover, that printing, and that binding any more.

This (somewhat obscure) DVD Set is ripe to become a Collector's Item, not because of how broadly the prints were circulated in Public Domain editions, but because of how limited they were in this one version. If you doubt it, trying locating a 1st Edition of a Hardcover version of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Book Of Lost Tales (either Book 1 or Book 2) in a 1st Edition for under $100 (it could be worse by now, I haven't checked in years).

THE PEACH
Old 02-11-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarnower
Just go to Amazon. It's listed along with many other "One Step Beyond" episodes. It's the one that something like $75.00. Coming up on 2/24.
Are you talking about this one?:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=1076512682

I don't see anything there that indicates that it includes every episode... am I missing something?

EDIT: In fact, the cover says "over 20 hours". It would be closer to 45-50 hours for the entire 3-season run.

Last edited by bboisvert; 02-11-04 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay so, two of the episodes are 1 HOUR and the other eight are ½ HOUR? Math challenged here heh.

PEACH
All of the episodes were produced for a 30 minute time slot except for all of the episodes from season four, which were produced for a one hour time slot.

This page has a complete, season by season listing of episodes and running times. Total shows, 156, season four shows at one hour, 18.
Old 02-11-04, 05:29 PM

Are you talking about this one?:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=1076512682

I don't see anything there that indicates that it includes every episode... am I missing something?

EDIT: In fact, the cover says "over 20 hours". It would be closer to 45-50 hours for the entire 3-season run.
I guess you're right. For some reason I was under the impression that it was the entire series. Sorry if I misled you, or got your hopes up for nothing. Hopefully it's the whole Season One. I just hope it's not "selected" episodes. Being a completist, that kind of thing just drives me nuts.
Old 02-12-04, 07:15 AM
Defunct Account

I have this set and enjoyed it. I wasn't the best series ever, but there were some wheat amoung the chaff. It included two episodes of "13 Demon Street" a plot that apparetnly never was picked up. Lon Chaney Jr is the host. While the show has hard Sweedish subtitles, it was a nice bonus. I definitely think it was worth the price.

I strongly disagree with Miss Peach's anaylisis of collectability. Yes, those books that she cites are valuable, because of their literary status and rarity. I collect books. I have many that are out of print 1st editions, and not worth squat. Rarity does not equal value, there has to be some sort of following too.

I don't think DVDs translate well to being collectable. A first edition of Dracula, (in book form,) will always be worth a lot because it was the first time it was printed. There is some history there. Video doesn't work that way. My VHS copy of the Weird Al movie "UHF" used to be worth quite a bit, but now that it is out on DVD I'd be hard pressed to sell it. If someone puts out an equally good looking copy of "The Veil" after this one is OOP, the original will not demand a premium.

Just my $0.02,

-Videophile