Cassell
Kirelenko
Brad Miller
Ray Allen
Nowitzki
Peja

So, who got snubbed.

Perhaps Bibby and Zach Randolph?

You can thank the dumb ass fans who think Steve Francis is an All-Star for Bibby getting screwed.

AndyCapps
02-03-04, 01:26 PM
Glad to see Artest make the list.

El Scorcho
02-03-04, 01:33 PM
Ray Allen shouldn't be there. He's missed 80% of the first half of the season.

Plug in Randolph (21.5 ppg, 11.0 rpg) for Ray Allen.

reapersaurus
02-03-04, 03:26 PM
did Houston have some kind of huge ballot-box stuffing event, or something?

How could Francis possibly be voted in as a first-team All Star?
He has pretty much sucked this year - does he have some HUGE rep or something that explains how he made it this year?

Jericho
02-03-04, 03:44 PM
Did they change the voting for reserves this year? I know they still vote for 2 guards, 2 forwards, and one center reserve, but the last two spots went to the players with the most votes (which was horribly unfair) and why there was both Ilguaskas and Miller in the game last year.

As for the snubs, I guess Randolph does really stand-out. The West is just so loaded though. Ray Allen doesn't deserve to go since he missed so much time, but his replacement would be guard under the system.

A lot is being made that James isn't there, but it's tough to select him over Davis, Kidd, Pierce, or Redd.

El Scorcho
02-03-04, 03:54 PM
I think it's very easy to choose James over Redd. All Redd can do is shoot. James easily trumps him in rebounds, steals, and assists and is close enough in scoring to make James a good choice over Redd.

LurkerDan
02-03-04, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by El Scorcho
I think it's very easy to choose James over Redd. All Redd can do is shoot. James easily trumps him in rebounds, steals, and assists and is close enough in scoring to make James a good choice over Redd. Redd does more than just "shoot". James has 5.9 RPG to Redd's 5.1 RPG, not that huge a difference (and both are impressive for guards). Admittedly, it is a bigger margin in the other categories. However, in addition to scoring slightly more, Redd shoots for a much higher percentage, especially from beyond the arc. He also has a much better FT%. In other words, while he "only" scores 1.3 more PPG, he is much more efficient. That is also bolstered by his 1.5 TO's per game compared to James' 3.9 TO's per game.

I am not saying that they'd be fools to pick James, but it's not like they were lunatics for picking Redd.

BrewCrew
02-03-04, 04:25 PM
It looks pretty obvious to me that Redd is a better choice this year. James has more assists because he is more of a point guard. You can't just discount the field goal, three pointers and free throw shooting because that is what James seems to be criticized most for. Plus Redd is the best player on a 26-21 team while James is the best player on a 18-29 team.

Josh H
02-03-04, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by reapersaurus

How could Francis possibly be voted in as a first-team All Star?
He has pretty much sucked this year - does he have some HUGE rep or something that explains how he made it this year?

He's a popular player and the fan voting is just a popularity contest.

Aphex Twin
02-03-04, 04:51 PM
Snubs - Elton Brand and Lebron James

the aftermath
02-03-04, 06:35 PM
Snubbed - Lamar Odom

tofu
02-03-04, 06:47 PM
I'm glad that Cassell made it. Even though I like Ray Allen's game, I don't think he shoudl have made it this year because he missed so much with injury. But if he didn't make it, there aren't many other guards that might replace him except for say Bibby and I don't think that you can justify having 3 kings on the roster. Just my 2 cents

Quake1028
02-03-04, 07:52 PM
James and Anthony should have made it.

mytzplyx
02-04-04, 12:06 AM
Magloire

He may be the worst All-Star -- ever.

Am I right or am I right?

Some of those coaches' picks were dead on, but were they hanging out with the Blazers when they chose this guy?

fumanstan
02-04-04, 12:17 AM
I think Lebron should have made it... it would have been good for the game and probably made a few more people tune in to watch him.

edytwinky
02-04-04, 02:25 AM
Good job for Artest. Carmello got screwed.

davejt1
02-04-04, 07:36 AM
James and Melo not making the team sure made the rookie game much more interesting.

wildcatlh
02-04-04, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by mytzplyx
Magloire

He may be the worst All-Star -- ever.

Am I right or am I right?

Some of those coaches' picks were dead on, but were they hanging out with the Blazers when they chose this guy?

The only reason Magliore is an all-star is that there HAS to be a backup center... and, quite frankly, there isn't much out there in the Eastern Conference.

LeBron and Carmelo should definitely both be all-stars. They've both exceeded the expectations that were laid out there for them, which is pretty amazing considering how high the expectations were.

~~ PAL ~~
02-04-04, 08:35 AM
Yeah, Magloire sucks.

LurkerDan
02-04-04, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by WildcatLH
The only reason Magliore is an all-star is that there HAS to be a backup center... and, quite frankly, there isn't much out there in the Eastern Conference.

LeBron and Carmelo should definitely both be all-stars. They've both exceeded the expectations that were laid out there for them, which is pretty amazing considering how high the expectations were. Yup, it was either Magloire or Ilgauskas. Tough call...

As for Lebron and Melo, since when did "exceeding expectations" become the all-star standard? I'm not suggesting they shouldn't be on the team, because an argument can certainly be made for either of them, but exceeding expectations just doesn't do it for me. :p

And, FWIW, for all those who always claim the NBA is "fixed", you think David Stern is happy that both these guys didn't make the team???

kneijst1
02-04-04, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by davejt1
James and Melo not making the team sure made the rookie game much more interesting.

ditto. I'm more looking forward to seeing them play together on the same team than I am the actual all star game!!

Jericho
02-04-04, 11:32 AM
I'd also be interested in hearing from those who think that James or Anthony got "screwed", who they should have made the team over? And remember you have to follow the rules. Meaning James can't replace Magloire since you need a back-up center. I see no way Anthony should be on the team, hell he isn't the top forward who missed, that would be Randolph. James is much more arguable, mainly because the East is weaker, but you'd have to put him in over Redd or Pierce, which is very, very debatable.

devilshalo
02-04-04, 01:00 PM
Melo would have a hard time making the team because the west is loaded. But leaving out Brand and Randolph sucks. I would have dropped Allen and Nowitski.

cdollaz
02-04-04, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by devilshalo
Melo would have a hard time making the team because the west is loaded. But leaving out Brand and Randolph sucks. I would have dropped Allen and Nowitski.

Seriously? Nowitski is one of the best 6 or 7 players in the league.

devilshalo
02-04-04, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by cdollaz

20 & 8 average this year...

21 & 11 for Randolph
20 & 12 for Brand

It's very close.. but Dallas would do just as well, with or without Nowitzki. The Trailblazers & Clippers would have a seriously hard time without Brand or Randolph.

Aphex Twin
02-04-04, 02:14 PM
Now that KMart is on the all-star team this year, he will have more leverage in demanding that max contract again.

cdollaz
02-04-04, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by devilshalo
20 & 8 average this year...

21 & 11 for Randolph
20 & 12 for Brand

It's very close.. but Dallas would do just as well, with or without Nowitzki. The Trailblazers & Clippers would have a seriously hard time without Brand or Randolph.

I don't like to consider statistics as the only basis for grading players, but all 3 have similar and good numbers. Of course Nowitzki has those numbers with 3 or 4 other all-star caliber players on his team taking away from his numbers, while Brand and Randolph are by far the best players on their own teams (Rashit Wallace doesn't count because he is an underacheiving dipshit).

atari2600
02-05-04, 01:21 AM
melo got screwed!

cdollaz
02-05-04, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by atari2600
melo got screwed!

How did he get screwed? What forward on the team should not be on there?

Josh H
02-05-04, 12:01 PM
How did he get screwed? What forward on the team should not be on there?

Kirilenko shouldn't be there. But still, Melo didnt' get screwed as Randolph and Brand are both more deservign than him.

LurkerDan
02-05-04, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Kirilenko shouldn't be there. But still, Melo didnt' get screwed as Randolph and Brand are both more deservign than him. I wonder what Utah's record would be without Kirilenko?

Jeremy517
02-05-04, 06:10 PM
I don't like to consider statistics as the only basis for grading players, but all 3 have similar and good numbers. Of course Nowitzki has those numbers with 3 or 4 other all-star caliber players on his team taking away from his numbers, while Brand and Randolph are by far the best players on their own teams (Rashit Wallace doesn't count because he is an underacheiving dipshit).

On the flip side of that coin, it is easier to be on a team where the opposing team has to worry about 3 or 4 other all-star caliber players than a team where the opposing team doesn't have to worry about the other players much.

Aldarion
02-05-04, 06:21 PM
Kirilenko shouldn't be there. But still, Melo didnt' get screwed as Randolph and Brand are both more deservign than him.

I believe that Kirilenko is deserving of his selection, although Randolph and Brand would be deserving as well. Kirilenko's offensive stats don't match up, but he is an outstanding defender, and near the league lead in both blocks and steals.

mytzplyx
02-06-04, 12:55 PM

Not until he plays defense, he isn't.

mytzplyx
02-06-04, 12:58 PM

Wow...you really have to watch a Utah Jazz game. Just looking at his box score should tell you he deserves to be there. He averages over 2 steals AND 2 blocks a game.

El Scorcho
02-06-04, 01:09 PM
FYI, Kirilenko has been top 5 in fantasy player raters for the entire season. He shoots threes, blocks, scores, rebounds, passes, and steals well.

Josh H
02-06-04, 01:26 PM
Kirilenko's stats are great, but I'd put randolph and brand over him just for more ppg and rpg which have a much great impact game to game than 2 steals and 2 blocks IMO.

RJainMJ
02-06-04, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by LurkerDan
And, FWIW, for all those who always claim the NBA is "fixed", you think David Stern is happy that both these guys didn't make the team???

The argument is that both players will create a huge impact on the rookie game, while the impact may not have been as large on the All-Star game. While I actually see the validity of the argument (I sure wouldn't have tuned into the rookie game if Lebron and Carmelo were All-Stars and passed on the Rookie game), I don't think it was fixed in any way. Both are rookies and the coaches may want them to wait. After all, Lebron and Carmelo are going to be All-Stars for years to come.

It would be hard to choose a player in each conference to remove. I think the argument would be Ray Allen in the West, but Allen has been around and is one of the league's good guys. As for Kirilenko, I think he deserves his spot. I would say that blocks are a hugely undervalued stat since the thread of a shot blocker inside can change the way an offense runs. And Kirilenko's points and rebounds are right up there, not to mention the steals. His impact on his team and his versatility have to be recognized IMO. In the East, Redd and Lebron have comparable stats, but like someone said, Redd is on a better team.

reapersaurus
02-06-04, 07:24 PM
From Espn:
E-Mail of the Week

If Andrei Kirilenko gets left off the All-Star team, then I'm giving up on the sport entirely. Get this: AK-47 is averaging more than 15 points, eight rebounds, three assists, two steals and two blocks per game. You know how many guys have done that over the past 25 years? Two. Hakeem Olajuwon in 1989-1990 and David Robinson in 1991-1992.
Adam Hoff
Malibu, Calif.Randolph takes over 6 shots more per game than Kirelenko does.
And Andrei has almost as many Offensive Rebounds as Randolph does.
Defensive rebounds don't impress me as much as offensive RBDs do. Many times, the system a player plays in gets him 6 defensive RBDs a night, as least.

fumanstan
02-06-04, 09:22 PM
The problem with offensive rebounds is that players aren't encouraged to sit under the basket after a missed shot to go for them, as its much more important to get back on defense. So in that case, the offensive system a player plays in will also net him a couple of offensive rebounds a night based on the inside/outside offense the team is running.