Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Deleted scenes on a DVD you thought should have been in the film?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's face it, most deleted scenes included as extras on DVDs are best left deleted.

BUT, have you ever encountered a deleted scene which made you think "Wow! That should have definitely been part of the film!"

If you have ever encountered such deleted scenes, discuss.

Thanks
Old 02-02-04, 11:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There aren't many. The one that comes to mind right now is the toy soldier scene from The Sixth Sense.
Old 02-02-04, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prostitute scene in J&SB.
Old 02-02-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Corleone
Prostitute scene in J&SB.
that was deemed "too explicit" for the R rated movie by the mpaa.
Old 02-02-04, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
that was deemed "too explicit" for the R rated movie by the mpaa.
And it should have been in the film.
Old 02-02-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gladiator:

The scene where Commodus hacks away at a bust of his father.

The scene where Commodus walks between the execution squad as they are about to kill the men who lied to him about the death of Maximus.

Hannibal:

The "Il Mostro"(sp?) subplot

Last edited by Robert; 02-03-04 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really a deleted scene, but in the theatrical version of LOTR: Fellowship, I think Jackson should have included the scene in the beginning where it shows Isildur swimming and the ring slipping off his finger, then him getting shot by arrows. Before the extended edition came out, I always wondered how the hell he ended up in the river with arrows in his back.
Old 02-03-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Most the deleted scenes in Driven should have been in the film. Sly wrote a pretty good movie, but the editors chopped it down to a big music video. Watch the deleted scenes for that one and you'll see how much more depth was supposed to be in it.
Old 02-03-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't care much for Blow, but it would have been a LOT better with virtually every deleted scene put back in. I think there are probably more out there that would warrant inclusion.

Mallrats is much better explained by it's deleted scenes. I don't know if it would have been much funnier(there is a 20 minute opener that is not meant to be played for laughs and is indeed joyless, but effectively set up what was to come better).
Old 02-03-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A number of deleted scenes in High Fidelity were easily good enough to fit in with the rest of the movie. The scene with the lady selling her cheating husband's record collection for pennies on the dollar comes to mind, for example.
Old 02-03-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with Robert on his Gladiator choices, and I'd also add the bit where Maximus looks on at condemned christians.
Old 02-03-04, 12:44 AM

Deleted Scenes in Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind come to mind.
Old 02-03-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not that anybody really cares about a "spoiler" to a qualiity film like Forces of Nature, bit I will put it in spoiler text, just in case anyone that hasn't seen it doesn't want to know the ending.

I think that the alternate ending to Forces of Nature when

Spoiler:
Ben and his Wife are in the water in Hawaii, and a Volcano starts to erupt, signifying their demise,

would have been a more complete and darkly funny closing to the little picture.
Old 02-03-04, 12:47 AM

All of the deleted scenes on the Attack of the Clones DVD were better than most of the scenes they actually left in the movie.
Old 02-03-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a deleted scene, but I thought the alternate "TV" dialogue version from Training Day where Denzel Washington's character says, "King Kong ain't got nothing on me!" worked so much better.

From Superman II. the scene where the two mission control men are trying to figure out a technical problem. The full version plays out a lot funnier than the theatrical cut.
Old 02-03-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by eatntae
Not really a deleted scene, but in the theatrical version of LOTR: Fellowship, I think Jackson should have included the scene in the beginning where it shows Isildur swimming and the ring slipping off his finger, then him getting shot by arrows. Before the extended edition came out, I always wondered how the hell he ended up in the river with arrows in his back.
I agree, although not deleted scenes, I do like all the stuff added back into the first 2 LOTR movies on the extended editions, it makes things more clear and more enjoyable.
Old 02-03-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also really like the scene in Hannibal w/ Lecter in Starling's truck. Actually, most of those scenes could have been safely put back.
Old 02-03-04, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

American Pie 2, scene where kevin is trying to have lunch alone with vicki and jim has to use the diareah excuse to depart. Me and my gf laughed out azzes off on that deleted scene.

j
Old 02-03-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All the deleted scenes for "Shanghi Noon"

The scenes that were cut explain things in the movie that left me questioning.

Like how the other Chinese guys looking for the princess ended up with the wagon they had at the end of the movie.
Old 02-03-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like that scene too, but I disagree that it should have been in the theatrical version. It would have completely ruined the surprise moment of Bilbo disappearing at the party, for those who were unfamiliar with the story. Having it in the extended version for those who already know about the Ring's powers is great, though.
Old 02-03-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second Mallrats original opening. The first few minutes of it are fairly dry, but the setup for the news crew at Svenning's house is hillarious. Brodie informing the news of the satanic rituals is priceless.

The movie is actually worse off without the original opening as far as I'm concerned. Leaving the scene where the guy originally says "Didn't I see you on CNN?", to which TS responds by slugging him and redubbing it "Aren't you the guy that broke up with Brandi Svenning?" is just stupid and makes no sense. The meeting of Brodie and Mr. Svenning later on where Brodie is referred to as Svenning's "neighbor" is humorless without the setup.

The bottom line is the original opening was the premise for the entire movie, and a poor job was done cutting it out and leaving jokes and scenes referring to it in the theatrical cut. I look forward to Mallrats eventually being rereleased on DVD with the original story put back in as an option. Everytime I watch the movie, I start with the cut opening and then simply skip to Brodie and TS arriving at the mall.
Old 02-03-04, 05:53 AM

Keeping the Faith, the scene with the vibrating cell phone. I laughed harder at that one scene than I did the whole movie (although I really enjoyed the movie too).
Old 02-03-04, 07:18 AM
Banned

I'm surprised no one mentioned the giving of the gifts from Lord of the Rings: FotR.

Last edited by JestersTear; 02-03-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 07:34 AM

The best example I can think of are the hallway gun scenes from Aliens (and all the cut bits leading up to that)... fortunately they are back in now

For continuity's sake the scene in Galaxy Quest in the engine room where Weaver opens her top to the aliens 'cause otherwise it makes no sense why one scene it's buttoned all the up and the next it's not.

I also seem to recall some from Jacob's Ladder being pretty good but it's been awhile since I've seen it so I wouldn't testify to that

Last edited by nemein; 02-03-04 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-03-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really short, but I love in Super Troopers wehn the kids get pulled over, and they guy in the back, tripping out says: "there's one back here, too" or something like that. The delivery is priceless.

Also, in The Cell, I much prefer the extended version of the raid on Vincent D'Onofrio's house. From the tracking shot around Roger Corman's desk at the command centre, the dialogue before they go out, the part (lifted from Mamet's Homicide where we follow one agent, only to see him give the signal for the next agent to go to the house, the shaky-cam following him up to the house. That whole scene is so good at building tension, because (IIRC) you see D'Onofrio start to freak out, but you don't really know what they're going to be facing. The theatrical cut has no tension, because you see D'Onofrio
Spoiler:
collapse before they go in, so you know he's neutralized already.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.