TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Interesting TiVo Statistics from the Superbowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 03:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Interesting TiVo Statistics from the Superbowl

http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=200

2/2/2004

Justin and Janet Top Super Bowl Show According to Annual TiVo Audience Measurement Analysis

"Wardrobe Malfunction" Most Replayed Moment TiVo Has Ever Measured

February 2, 2004 - SAN JOSE, CA – Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson stole the show during Sunday's Super Bowl, attracting almost twice as many viewers as the most thrilling moments on the field, according to an annual measurement of second-by-second viewership in TiVo households.
The Jackson-Timberlake moment drew the biggest spike in audience reaction TiVo has ever measured. TiVo said viewership spiked up to 180 percent as hundreds of thousands of households used TiVo’s unique capabilities to pause and replay live television to view the incident again and again. Overall, the halftime extravaganza had a powerful grip on viewers. According to TiVo’s analysis of aggregated data from an anonymous sample of 20,000 households, viewership of the game’s intermission increased by 12 percent compared to last year’s halftime show.

Commercials once again drew a bigger reaction from viewers than any of the action on the field. And humor seemed to be the best weapon for attracting the largest audience. Budweiser’s humorous spots were an especially big hit. Commercials for Bud Light filled three of the top five slots of commercials, as measured by TiVo.

"The ‘wardrobe incident’ during half time was the scene stealer of the Super Bowl," said Marty Yudkovitz, President of TiVo. "In fact, the half time show during the Super Bowl is now running a close second to the commercials as the most compelling content for viewers. The actual contest on the field continues to be the secondary event during the Super Bowl."

TiVo Top Ten Super Bowl Commercials
1. "Sleigh Ride" -- Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light)
2. "Dog Bites" -- Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light)
3. "Shards of Glass" – Truth
4. "Slam Dunk Contest" – Seven Up
5. "Talking Monkey" – Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light)
6. "Homer Simpson" -- Mastercard
7. "Must Be Tough" Designated Driver Campaign – Anheuser-Busch
8. "Time Travel" – Time Warner (AOL)
9. "Washed Out with Soap" – General Motors (Chevy Trucks)
10. "We ID" – Anheuser-Busch

Overall, 40 percent of TiVo households tuned in to watch the game. Unlike last year’s less competitive contest, the TiVo ratings saw almost no drop off in the second half and viewing numbers remained high to the game’s exciting conclusion. The most watched play of this year’s Super Bowl was Jake Delhomme’s fourth quarter 85 yard touchdown pass to Muhsin Muhammad.

TiVo’s audience measurement analysis is based on aggregated data from a sample of 20,000 anonymous TiVo households. TiVo viewership information gauges the interest in programming content by measuring the percentage of the TiVo Super Bowl audience watching in "play" speed.
Old 02-02-04, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it was all those "outraged" people trying to REALLY see what they were outraged about....over and over and over and over again...
Old 02-02-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We called that one. We replayed that scene about 4 times, and someone said "I bet $1000 that this will show up as the most TiVoed moment of the Super Bowl."
Old 02-02-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Vegas9203
Maybe it was all those "outraged" people trying to REALLY see what they were outraged about....over and over and over and over again...
That was me.

"I'm shocked"

"Now I'm digusted"

"yep, still shocked and disgusted"

"No wearing off of my shock and disgust"

"Wow, even in slow motion, I am shocked and disgusted"

"Did you guys see this? It is shocking and disgusting."
Old 02-02-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK. I have no doubt Tivo is capable of tracking my viewing habits. But I have a hard time dealing with the “second-by-second viewership” stuff.

I mean, you’ve got to have the program to do the tracking, and you’ve got to store all the data – that’s got to take up a lot of MY hard drive space.
Originally posted by kvrdave
"Wow, even in slow motion, I am shocked and disgusted"

"Did you guys see this? It is shocking and disgusting."

You gotta love a guy who can have a serious problem with an issue and still take a moment to make fun of himself.

Old 02-02-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great. They can figure out what "moment" I replayed, but I still don't have folders. Effing DirecTV DVR with TiVo programmers.
Old 02-02-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
That is really strange that they can track that.
Old 02-03-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
I mean, you’ve got to have the program to do the tracking, and you’ve got to store all the data – that’s got to take up a lot of MY hard drive space.
I think you are probably over-estimating the amount of space it takes to track this sort of stuff. It is probably a delimited text file that takes up less space than 3 seconds of a High Quality recording.