Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a review of David Bowie's LA shows?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I'm going to the Shrine show tonight(2/2) and I wanted to hear some thoughts on the show.
Old 02-03-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh well, the show was great! We lined up at the ticket office and they released orchestra seats so we were 16 rows back. Not bad at all. The Shrine is a nice venue but the seats were very cramped.

I didn't expect much out of Macy Gray but she was really good opening for Bowie. Her band is tight and her whole show was very up beat. She seemed like she was high...but doesn't she always? I think the older audience liked her but you could tell there was a bit of gap between Gray and the crowd especially early in her set. However by the end the cooler crowd members had come in so the show got pretty exciting.

Bowie came on and it was pretty awesome. This man is so talented and he's such a legend how a person could not feel taken by his presence is beyond me. He opened with "REBEL REBEL" and who doesn't love that song? He went back and forth between old and new playing stuff from the "REALITY" and "HEATHEN" cd's and throwing in plenty of rare stuff like "IS THERE LIFE ON MARS"(?), "STARMAN", and a few others and 80's stuff like "ASHES TO ASHES", "UNDER PRESSURE" and "LOVING THE ALIEN". Apparently he's changing the sets each night so it's good he's mixing things up a bit.

He did a long encore ending the show at about 2 and 1/2 hours which by today's standards is great.

Another highlight for me was sitting 2 rows behind actress Scarlet Johannsen. She looked great even in just Jeans and T-shirt. My friend went and spoke with her and she was a sweet person. The girl is truly beautiful even just hanging out in casual.
Old 02-03-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a show here in Chicago...it was a lot of fun....iffy on some of the song selections but if you are a fan it is pretty good. Bowie sang very well and the band was on the money....even a lot of talking between songs...especially when he screwed up the lyrics to 'All the young dudes' and at the end made the band play a verse over so he could sing it correctly.

Personally I do not like Gray, and you are probably right that she was screwed up. I have been in the same room with her twice and she could barely stand.
Old 02-03-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I think Gray does a lot of weed.

My friend reminded me Bowie also screwed up at our show...he was about the announce White Light, White heat and they had done that one already. It's tough keeping all those songs in line while touring especially if the set changes. I can understand his confusion.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-04-04 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't Bowie say he was never going to play his early hits on stage again like 8 years ago. I know this falls under the never going to tour again and umpteenth retirement category but what's the point of making these announcements? Publicity?
Old 02-04-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by cungar
Didn't Bowie say he was never going to play his early hits on stage again like 8 years ago. I know this falls under the never going to tour again and umpteenth retirement category but what's the point of making these announcements? Publicity?

well yeah the SOUND AND VISION tour was supposed to be the last time certain songs would be played...but you know how that is.

The truth is most folks like older Bowie stuff better than his new...he has to understand that.
Old 02-05-04, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found out Bowie's coming to my town which *really* surprises me as it's not much of a town! I had a look at several setlists on this tour and it's definitely a fresh set each night. I know it's a longshot but he breaks into "Width of a Circle" I'll absolutely freak... and I won't be responsible for what happens.
Old 02-05-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Damage
I just found out Bowie's coming to my town which *really* surprises me as it's not much of a town! I had a look at several setlists on this tour and it's definitely a fresh set each night. I know it's a longshot but he breaks into "Width of a Circle" I'll absolutely freak... and I won't be responsible for what happens.
Yeah, the woman I went with has been into Bowie since the late 60's early 70's and has seen him several times. She said it was the best Bowie show she's seen because he played so many rare(played live) songs.
Old 02-06-04, 12:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I went to all three LA shows thus far, and will be first in line at the Wiltern come Saturday (actually, my friends will, but they will be saving me a place for when I stood in the rain for them on Tuesday).

The first Wiltern show was awesome. Great set. The second one was still great, but a little lackluster. I felt the band, except for Earl Slick, had no idea how to play Starman.

The Wiltern show was incredible. My spot was 2 feet away from Bowie. He was on fire. Gave his best set yet, and finally played Pablo Picasso. He also did Fantastic Voyage and Heathen (The Rays). Both were fantastic.

Can't wait for Saturday's show. If the other three are anything to go by, it will be beyond words.