Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How was it watching the SB in HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How was it watching the SB in HDTV?

This year was the 1st time I watched the SB in HD and surround sound.

I must admit it was the most enjoyable Superbowl (any TV show) experience I have ever had. Well, except the 1/2 time show.

I only have a Zenith 32 inch HDTV, but it was the clearest I could have ever imagined. The pre-game show was amazing and entertaining because it was the best HD signal I have seen yet - only 2 weeks.

It felt like I was at the game with the crystal clear picture and the crowd cheering around me.

The only thing the was weird is when they would cut to another camera that was not HD. Next time they need to make sure all the cameras are HD, it was a little distracting when a grainy picture would pop up.

I cannot wait for everything to go HD over the next 2 to 3 years.

Oh, and it was a great game to watch as far as football goes.
Old 02-02-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was amazing in HD. I watched it on a 110" screen at a buddy's house. I guess my 47" wasn't big enough...

Yeah, I can't wait until everything goes HD.
Old 02-02-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sooooo jealous
Old 02-02-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched on my 32" Sony HD TV in HD and really enjoyed it.
Old 02-02-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I finally got off my butt and re-activated my HD cable box up in the "home theater". Watched on a 57 in Toshiba RPTV (HD).

It was awesome. I was especially happy that I didn't have to use my stretch modes to watch. It was broadcast in 16:9, as were many of the commercials. I would rather watch anything in HD up there than on my regular 36 in 4:3 downstairs.

I would rather watch regular 4:3 for anything not in HD, though.
Old 02-02-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched it OTA on my 50hdx82 Toshiba... I've been watching HD for over a year, archived last years SB, and this just wasn't as sharp as ABC's broadcast last year. Perhaps I was just influenced reading too many negative comments on AVSForum during the game. I feel quite a few of CBS's regular season games looked better and the half-time show's audio quality, lip-synching aside, was just poor.

The close-up shots all suffered from too much grain, lower in quality then I recall the regular season CBS games having. And then there were the SD cameras... I watched the game with a couple of people who are not used to HD, and kept listening to complaints of "why is the picture so grainy". That simply shouldn't happen when displaying the high point of the HD year.

The sound of the movie commercials in HD... I'm not sure if it's because my local station left 5.1 on during the ads, or the movie commercials were just meant to be twice as loud as everything else. Bottom line, having my sound up fairly loud to enjoy the surround sound of the game, I'm lucky my speakers still function.

That said, it's not in the same ballpark as SD. It looked great, but was just disappointing when I expected better than what the regular season CBS HD games were, and received something slightly lower in quality. Now here's hoping Fox remains on schedule to implement 720p and we aren't forced to watch next years Super Bowl in 480p. Then there will be a legitimate reason to bitch about the quality...
Old 02-02-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll agree with coladar, it wasn't nearly as good as it could be. Way too many grainy shots.
Old 02-02-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how it was. My local Comcast doesn't have CBS or FOX available on High Definition.
Old 02-02-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was my first Superbowl in HD which I watched via DirecTV on my Mitsubishi 65" Plat Plus.

Without last years broadcast to compare it to I really enjoyed it.
My complaints relate to audio more than video.

I had a couple of significant audio dropouts and then the already mentioned movie commercials that nearly blew our heads off when the volume was set at an enjoyable level for the game itself.
Old 02-02-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Really, cause Comcast just reached a deal with Viacom not that long ago. I guess it must be the local affiliate. Anyhow, I thought it looked reasonably well. I saw the Super Bowl last year in HD as well, and this year I think it came off better. And this is one of the only times you get 16:9 commericals. Whenever I watch HD programming, they normally have non-HD commericals. But the Super Bowl usually has a few, especially movie commericals.
Old 02-02-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was my first SB in HD. I was highly impressed with the quality, although not as crisp as some of the hockey I've seen on HDnet.

The people I had over were also impressed. Especially when I switched back to SD to show them the difference.

I think my house has now become the place for big sporting events.
Old 02-02-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
CBS regular season games looked better to me
Old 02-02-04, 11:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
My first SB in HD experience as well. Awesome stuff!
Old 02-02-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My HD signal came over my powered rabbit ear antenna. The signal level stayed strong throughout the broadcast and picture I thought was perfectly clear.

Does anyone know of a place that would have compared the HD signal from OTA, Comcast and DirectTV?

I hear the Comcast compress the signal way to much and will cut in and out? Is this true?
Old 02-02-04, 11:35 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I thought the picture was fantastic. I'm wondering if some are confusing the grainy shots with shots that came from the few SD cameras that were used.

The sound is where the game seemed to suffer. The pre-game 5.1 sounded great. But during the game it was too muffled sounding.
Old 02-02-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was weird:

For most of the first half, the local CBS affiliate was pushing out the SDTV feed, so the picture looked like doo-doo for the long range shots, and I was only getting the right channel audio feed.

And then when the game got exciting with about 5 minutes left in the 1st half, the HDTV feed finally came back, and for the rest of the exciting game, the HDTV feed held true, and all was right in the world again. But that was a long time to suffer through the SDTV feed... I was making up new curse words during that time...
Old 02-02-04, 03:08 PM

Not the best I've seen, but certainly better than standard def.
Old 02-02-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
even in standard edition, it looked damn good. usually with hd simlcasts (especially on espn) its edge enhancement hell)but not here.
Old 02-02-04, 07:40 PM

It looked good on my Panasonic 51" and except for a few grainy shots the whole overall presntataion was pretty good.

I liked the long shot better as it seemed clearer and crisper...
Old 02-02-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nip-tastic.
Old 02-03-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im only able to watch HDTV at work usually...I do find it annoying how many SD cameras CBS uses set to 16:9 during their HD broadcasts. I think during the Colts-Chiefs playoff game, they had one of these cameras shooting a 4:3 image that was being stretched to 16:9 (causing the players to look fat anytime they went to that shot). Stupid CBS. But I will say the stuff that was in HD looked very very nice.

Granted I didnt see the entire game, but the parts of the Sugar Bowl and the Panthers-Cowboys game on ABC in HD was entirely in HD...no SD cameras anywhere.
Old 02-03-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw the first half at my friend's home. He has a 92-inch projector screen.
Old 02-03-04, 08:52 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
My buddy just had DirectTV HDTV dish installed a few weeks ago, so we wathed it over there on his 52" Mitsubishi HDTV, in DD surround.

It was really great. Wonderful color and picture.

The sad this was not all of the cameras used in the broadcast were HiDef cameras, you could easily tell when they switched to cameras that weren't equipt. That was annoying. That and the signal would drop every once in awhile, but it was all good.

Even the half time show.
Old 02-03-04, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
...I hear the Comcast compress the signal way to much and will cut in and out? Is this true?
Totally false, probably a lie started by some satellite company. Read the HDTV Programming area at avsforum.com for verification.
Old 02-03-04, 12:51 PM
Suspended

My cable company only offers NBC & FOX local channels in HD/480