Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Questions for Harvey Weinstein

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought it's an interesting read.. taken from oscarwatch which took it from TIME

More than any other modern movie mogul, Miramax's Harvey Weinstein has changed the film industry, taking small, independent films out of the art-house ghetto and into the mainstream. He has also been skewered in a new book for his fearsome temper and ego. He talked with TIME's Jeffrey Ressner about that reputation, and a Miramax film that suffered an unexpected snub.

Miramax got 15 Oscar nominations, but Cold Mountain was ignored for Best Picture. What happened?

I opened the movie at Christmastime so I could hopefully get Oscar nominations to fuel the box office. With the early [Oscar voting] this year, we fell short. There's a lot to do for Academy members, and I don't know how many members we got to. We just plain ran out of people who had seen this movie.

Are you going to rejigger release dates for Oscar-worthy movies this year as a result?

I just moved J.M. Barrie's Neverland with Johnny Depp to October. With Martin Scorsese's The Aviator, which we talked about for a Christmas release, we're going to have to see if we can push that to November.

The book Down and Dirty Pictures alleges the independent-film movement has been co-opted by big corporations, starting with Disney's purchase of Miramax. Do you agree?

Yeah, my brother Bob and I sit in a little room with chemicals bubbling in test tubes figuring out how to hurt something we once loved. But seriously, the Academy Award nominations are almost an affirmation. I spent 54 weeks keeping City of God in movie theaters, and it got four nominations. How in God's name does anybody think we're not devoted to independent films?

You've often taken a strong hand in the editing of films you've released. Do you interfere for good reason?

It's not that I ever want to take the integrity out of movies; it's that I want to put the integrity into them. I've seen directors and producers want to keep stuff in that's dull and boring and pretentious. Everybody thinks, "Oh, my God, the five-hour cut must be incredible!" But the five-hour cut is usually like The Picture of Dorian Gray: it should be sitting in someone's attic and never seen.

You've been portrayed as a rampaging bully. Have you turned over a new leaf?

Some things about me that make for great press have been exaggerated. The stuff I did do I take full responsibility for, and it's usually been on behalf of a movie. I'm passionate in that area. What's happened to me and my pals Sean Penn and Russell Crowe and Johnny Depp is that we all have children, and fatherhood has softened our approach. It's time for us to mellow out.

You've also blamed your diet as a factor in inciting your temper. have you changed your eating habits?

I was never a big eater of meals, but I was an expert M&M hider. I took M&M's, opened the bag, put them in my jacket pockets and sneaked them at meetings. Now, everybody knows the way carbohydrates affect the insulin levels, which shifts the adrenal gland and triggers the temper. If somebody pulls out chocolate chip cookies now at a marketing meeting, my staff will take them right off the table for safety reasons.

How do you feel about Disney chairman Michael Eisner's recent $6.25 million bonus?

We've just had our biggest year in the history of the company, and nobody gave me a bonus.

You donated money to several Democratic candidates. What's your perfect ticket?

I like John Kerry, John Edwards and General Clark. I think they're three very strong candidates. One can dream of them getting together in some way.

When are you going to direct your own film?

Pretty soon, probably the fall. The script is done. Anthony Minghella and Martin Scorsese are going to produce it, and they've said when they see my first three-hour cut, they're gonna gladly cut it down to a 10-minute short.

What are you going to wear to the Oscars this year?

I always read, "He looked like a longshoreman." I was at a screening in Italy, and Giorgio Armani asked me if I was sick of reading about how I looked. So he graciously designed a tuxedo for me.
Old 02-01-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What an idiot. Talk about an ego! He seriously think that Cold Mountain was snubbed JUST because it wasn't released on the right date?

HELLO - the film received 7 noms, so people OBVIOUSLY saw the film. Maybe it's because people don't think it deserves Best Picture? OH no, HArvey would never come up with *that* in his head.

"It's not that I ever want to take the integrity out of movies; it's that I want to put the integrity into them"

- Yes, and only Harvey knows what integrity is, right?

Lastly, him directing his own picture...where's that barf icon?
Old 02-01-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Harvey just accused anthony minghella and martin scorsese of being pretentious for having long movies.

See, harvey knows more than these talented filmmakers.
Old 02-02-04, 12:48 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

look what he did to Kill Bill.

**** him.

yeah, he knows more about good cinema than scorsese and minghella.
Old 02-02-04, 03:01 AM
MrN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harvey thinks he supports indie films but clearly he means he supports indie films that are geared to winning Oscars. With some of his 'integrity' of course.
Old 02-02-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't like him.
Old 02-02-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He is my idol
Old 02-02-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Harvey's directing... wow. He wants that Oscar with his name on it!
Old 02-02-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and how is keeping city of god in 2 theaters for 52 weeks, "helping it stay alive".
Old 02-02-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I wonder if Weinstein might be interested in helping push ROTK's campaign? While he wouldn't be able to get the Oscar, he would most likely be able to get thanked by PJ. Afterall, the Weinsteins were given Exec Producer credits.
Old 02-02-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Wow - surprised by some of the reaction. Harvey comes off as an intelligent guy with a great sense of humor in this article. Plus he actually seems to KNOW something about movies...how many other studio-heads can you say that about?

My admiration of Harvey just went up a few points with this interview.
Old 02-02-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
HELLO - the film received 7 noms, so people OBVIOUSLY saw the film. Maybe it's because people don't think it deserves Best Picture? OH no, HArvey would never come up with *that* in his head.
So if it were you, you'd publically state that it doesn't deserve a nomination, it's not good enough, risking sales and pissing off the big names that worked for you to make this movie. I'm glad Harv is in charge!
Old 02-02-04, 12:53 PM
Banned

That reporter sure hit him with the hard hitting questions! Wow.

He could only ask 10 questions and he asked him "What are you going to wear to the Oscars this year?" Wow it's the journalistic Joan Rivers!

Eisner's bonus and democratic fundraising? Yeah these are the burning questions we demand answers to.

Question #11: Hey Harvey you bloated idiot, when can we expect a release of Through the Olive Trees?
Old 02-02-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
question:

what was Harv's connection with LOtR..?

I know people were saying that he looked all kinds of pissed after the camera panned to him when PJ was accepting the Golden Globe for Best Picture..
Old 02-02-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
question:

what was Harv's connection with LOtR..?

I know people were saying that he looked all kinds of pissed after the camera panned to him when PJ was accepting the Golden Globe for Best Picture..
Originally Miramax was the studio that was going to finance LOTR, but only as 2 movies instead of the trilogy. I'm not sure just why Miramax let the property go(probably budgetary reasons), but the stipulation of another studio picking it up was that the Weinsteins be given a credit.
Old 02-02-04, 02:18 PM
Banned

Wow, that guy is a bigger moron than I had originally thought. Well DVDTalkers you were right. That guy is an ass!
Old 02-02-04, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Originally Miramax was the studio that was going to finance LOTR, but only as 2 movies instead of the trilogy. I'm not sure just why Miramax let the property go(probably budgetary reasons), but the stipulation of another studio picking it up was that the Weinsteins be given a credit.
A credit and 5% of the gross. Don't worry, I'm sure the Weinstein's are fine with LoTR. They're still makin the money.
Old 02-02-04, 06:28 PM

Who said that every interview with Weinstein has to be hard-hitting? I thought he came across well. And I took the Minghella/Scorsese comment as a joke about himself.
Old 02-02-04, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
So if it were you, you'd publically state that it doesn't deserve a nomination, it's not good enough, risking sales and pissing off the big names that worked for you to make this movie. I'm glad Harv is in charge!
No, it's called a reality check. He comes across as a sore loser - at least he could be gracious about not getting the BEst Picture nom. Cold Mountain wasn't nominated - deal with it.
Old 02-02-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He ended up suggesting LOTR be 1 2-hour film, and feature female hobbits in the fellowship, or killing off a few. At the behest of Disney, of course. So any attempt to take credit for what LOTR became later is really
Old 02-02-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Jepthah
He ended up suggesting LOTR be 1 2-hour film, and feature female hobbits in the fellowship, or killing off a few.
Didn't he want Reneé Zellweger to play a hobbit called 'Squinty McGee' in hopes of yet another Oscar nomination? Or was that just another internet rumour..?
Old 02-03-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Didn't he want Reneé Zellweger to play a hobbit called 'Squinty McGee' in hopes of yet another Oscar nomination? Or was that just another internet rumour..?

Last edited by LiquidSky; 02-03-04 at 07:29 AM.