Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just Recieved 60" LCD Hitachi! But its Pixelated!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recieved my high defination LCD 60" Hitachi t.v. However I haven't got HD yet its on the way. But on the cable menu when I'm scrolling down the text is all pixelated and the picture is all fuzzy.
Anyone have any ideas what it may be?
Here
is the 50" version.
Old 02-01-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Well it's an LCD based rear-projection TV, so there will be pixels no matter what. Analog cable will NOT look good on that TV either, so you may just want to wait.
Old 02-01-04, 11:47 AM

Well if the tech guy on Monday can't get it looking better than it is I am sending it back as my old rear projection tv looked much better
Old 02-01-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My 19" DVI LCD is sometimes pixelated while watching DVD's on my computer. If a 3K LCD TV is pixelated in the same way I'll never buy one.
Old 02-01-04, 09:16 PM

Exactly why should I be paying $4000 bucks for a tv thats pixelated. Someone please tell me what cables I need to make the picture better?
Old 02-02-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how is it hooked up now?

composite, svideo,component,dvi?

I would think that as you move from from left to right on my list the picture will get better. also the source will determine the quality. How does it look when viewing a dvd in progressive scan?
Old 02-02-04, 03:07 AM

It AMAZES me that folks do not understand the single most demonstrable fact about HDTV......standard definition programing and material looks AWFUL on an HDTV set. I've viewed pristine 3ccd DV material on a calibrated, high end HD setup...and it looks exactly as you describe...pixelated with all kinds of nasty digital artifacts.

720P and 1080i is wonderful on a good HD set. BUT standard cable...or VHS/SVHS/DV material is frightening to view on a HD set.

I have recenlty unpgraded three of my Standard def sets to insure that my years of legacy SD material will have something decent to view them on.

HDTV is for 720p and 1080i....perhaps 480P....but NOT 480i.
Old 02-02-04, 08:29 PM

I agree. There is better detail in DLP and LCD but the pixalization is horrible.
Old 02-02-04, 08:45 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
That's another reason why I like CRT RPTV. What pixels?
Old 02-02-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Freud
It AMAZES me that folks do not understand the single most demonstrable fact about HDTV......standard definition programing and material looks AWFUL on an HDTV set.
Standard definition programming looks more awful on some types of sets than others. I have a Mitsubishi 55413 and some of my DTV and standard definition cable programming looks excellent depending on the broadcast signal of the channel I'm watching. No, it doesn't look HDTV outstanding but it definately doesn't look awful.
Old 02-02-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by namlook
Standard definition programming looks more awful on some types of sets than others. I have a Mitsubishi 55413 and some of my DTV and standard definition cable programming looks excellent depending on the broadcast signal of the channel I'm watching. No, it doesn't look HDTV outstanding but it definately doesn't look awful.
Agreed. My Toshiba 57HX83 looks just fine with my Comcast feed.
Old 02-03-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I leave analog cable for viewing on my Wega upstairs and HD/movie viewing for the projector downstairs. I have watched one program over analog cable through the projector and will never do it again.
Old 02-03-04, 03:08 PM

I would somehow beg to differ with most of you here.

I have Sony GWIII (60WE610) and have it hooked up to analog cable too. Analog cable, though not a patch on DVD or HDTV, still looks very fine (As good or Better than any other CRT Based RPTVs). NEVER seen any pixelation on it ever.

PQ on HDTV and DVD is mindblowing

Hitachi is a great set too.

for more info from owners go to the avsfourm - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=63

EDIT: jhansla : check out the link above, and look for the Hitachi Owners / LCD tweaks threads - there are plenty tweaks there to improve you PQ .

Last edited by starlights; 02-03-04 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice when buying an HDTV is to always ask to see a SD feed, be it cable or satellite. That's probably always going to be your worst source, so you might as well find out which TV performs the best at it.

I have a Samsung DLP and standard digital is fine on most channels. It did take a bit to get used to, but it doesn't bother me now.

HD televisions are really good at showing crap in - crap out. Owning one really makes you want to push for more HD programming.
Old 02-03-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with BigDave and if the store can't show you an SD feed then ask if you can bring in your own VCR and see how that looks. If the VCR looks decent then regular cable or sat should also.