Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Whats The Point In Collecting 'The Simpsons' On DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean, even if DVDs are around for 15 years more, which I think we can all admit is pretty unlikely, we'll still not have them all at their current rate of release.

Surely, the point is to complete the set. Watching the programme can be done every night here in the UK, and I am sure its the same in the US. So why spend the $40 or whatever it is to watch a show constantly on our screens, and one we can never finish collecting?

Personally, I say screw the extras. I need to hear another commentary like a hole in the head, and would gladly substitute features for a M*A*S*H-Style release: no frills, but DAMN, are they out quick. Three a year - yes please.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-31-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Actually, what I think is pretty unlikely is that there will be a viable replacement for DVD in fifteen years.

With the success of DVD, we have:

1) Studios paranoid about digital piracy

2) Hardware manufacturer turf wars

3) DRM, the devil in the details

4) The success of DVD itself. A format that is this successful isn't going to go away anytime soon. DVD has taken off as a consumer product faster than CD, and the CD format is nowhere near the end of its life.

5) HDTV is still a far way off from being fully mainstreamed, and its rollout has been slower than anticipated.
Old 01-31-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree that we may never get to see the complete run of the series on DVD but i dont mind too much, i have PLENTY of other DVDs to watch until another season comes along, and i do enjoy the commentaries on each episode, without them, i probably would find something else to buy. i have seen every episode 5 times or more, so its nice to have an alternative when watching an episode for the 10th time, like the commentary.

i wish they would come faster, but oh well.
Old 01-31-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The biggest reason to get the shows on DVD is to get them unedited. The syndicated shows are all cut down to allow for more commercials.
Old 01-31-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure The Simpsons are on TV all the time, but if I want to watch a specific episode right away (without commercials), I can. Finding out tidbits of inside information from the creators through the commentary is also fun.

I pray to God that DVD is around for a LONG while...What could be improved? The sound? The image quality? Even if someone invented a holographic experience where you can BE in the movie I AM NOT UPGRADING my collection AGAIN!!!
Old 01-31-04, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by darkside
The biggest reason to get the shows on DVD is to get them unedited. The syndicated shows are all cut down to allow for more commercials.
That's why I buy them.

It certainly isn't for the commentary tracks. Simpsons season 1 commentary was just horrible. It was basically a group of guys patting themselves on the back, saying "Oh yeah, look at that, that was cool, we're cool for doing it."

Futurama Vol 1's commentary was much better, but season 2 seems to have degenerated back down to Simpsons season 1 level.
Old 01-31-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Whats The Point In Collecting 'The Simpsons' On DVD?

Originally posted by vedderstapp
I mean, even if DVDs are around for 15 years more, which I think we can all admit is pretty unlikely, we'll still not have them all at their current rate of release.

Surely, the point is to complete the set. Watching the programme can be done every night here in the UK, and I am sure its the same in the US. So why spend the $40 or whatever it is to watch a show constantly on our screens, and one we can never finish collecting?

Personally, I say screw the extras. I need to hear another commentary like a hole in the head, and would gladly substitute features for a M*A*S*H-Style release: no frills, but DAMN, are they out quick. Three a year - yes please.

What do you guys think?
you CAN collect them all. Just not on DVD.
Old 01-31-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you guys think?

Then what is the point of collecting anything on DVD?? Why buy movies? Just wait until they are on cable to watch them right?
Old 01-31-04, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When they come on in syndication here the picture quality is nothing compared to the DVD picture. Like everyone else, I buy them to watch unedited and for the commentary tracks as well. I don't think we will have to wait 15+ years to collect them all, once they are done doing new episodes I think we could see 2 or more come out a year. Fingers crossed anyway...
Old 01-31-04, 07:12 PM
Banned

Cause Simpsons are awesome!
Old 01-31-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I think the fact that I enjoy the show might have something to do with it.
Old 01-31-04, 07:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm constantly amazed how people on this forum get worked up over what other people decide to buy on DVD.
Old 01-31-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
I'm constantly amazed how people on this forum get worked up over what other people decide to buy on DVD.
I am meta-amazed at this post.

And now I'm recursively amazed at my own amazement.
Old 01-31-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like to own the episodes free of commercial breaks and syndication cuts. Not to mention my syndicate hasn't played season 1-9 episodes too often in the past 3 years.
Old 01-31-04, 08:29 PM

I cast another vote for the commentaries, I can't get enough of them! Besides, I personally have no plans to get every season, even if they do come out. By the time season 4 comes out, I'd have to be getting an incredible deal to get it. My personal favs were all in the first 3 years so it works out fine for me.
Old 01-31-04, 08:36 PM
Suspended

I don't care about syndication cuts, I usually don't care about extras all I care about is being able to watch my shows and my movies whenever the hell I feel like it.
Old 01-31-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Cause I sometimes want to see a specific episode. through dvd, I will eventually have that ability.
Old 01-31-04, 08:47 PM
Banned

Able to watch any episode
5.1 Sound
Uncut episodes
Commentaries on all episodes
Easter Eggs
Neat Packaging
$35

how can you beat that?
Old 01-31-04, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Able to watch any episode
5.1 Sound
Uncut episodes
Commentaries on all episodes
Easter Eggs
Neat Packaging
$35

how can you beat that?
Only if you got Season 1 at BestBuy on Black Friday for $11.95 like I did! :P
Old 01-31-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I collect them because its the best show ever, and to watch them unedited and whenever i want....the superior picture quality....definately wish they would speed it up though!
Old 01-31-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I don't get it either. To me, it's like wanting to own season sets of Letterman or something. I mean, sure, entertaining, but there are just way too many.

I like Futurama better than The Simpsons anyway, and since there are only 4 sets and they're not on 15 times a day, I can justify purchasing them. But the commentaries are horrendous. They're all the same. Commentaries should be reserved only for the best episodes of any television series, like with Buffy.
Old 01-31-04, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by actionjackson20
I don't care about syndication cuts, I usually don't care about extras all I care about is being able to watch my shows and my movies whenever the hell I feel like it.
Amen!!!
Old 02-01-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been very disappointed with the Simpsons release schedule to date. I have considered not buying them anymore, but I probably will because as some folks have said, it's the only way to see them unedited.
Old 02-01-04, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Cause it's the Simpsons.
Old 02-01-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm a freak, but I don't care for the picture quality on the dvds, it just doesn't look right. Of course I'm so used to watching 6+ year old VHS tapes, that if the Simpsons aren't green, then they don't look right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.