Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Best of Abbott and Costello Vol 2 (5/4)

Old 01-30-04, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this over at the digitalbits.com

In May, look for The Adventures of Ma and Pa Kettle: Volume 2, The Best of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello: Volume 2, K-9: The Patrol Pack and the On the Road with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby box set (all on 5/4)
Also, it's already up for pre-order on Amazon.com for $17.49.
Old 01-31-04, 09:17 AM

From abbottandcostello.net:

The Best of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello: Volume 2 DVD has officially been announced with a release date scheduled for May 4. Like volume 1, this set will feature 8 movies on 2 discs including Hit the Ice, In Society, Here Come the Co-Eds, The Naughty Nineties, Little Giant, The Time of Their Lives, Buck Privates Come Home and The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap . Bonus features will include production notes, theatrical trailers and the Abbott and Costello Meet Jerry Seinfeld documentary!
Old 01-31-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news - The Time of Their Lives is one of their best - and most unusual movies!
Old 01-31-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Great news - The Time of Their Lives is one of their best - and most unusual movies!
Its odd, I was JUST searching the web to see if this title had been released. Though I appreciate A&C I hadn't planned to own so many. Does anyone know if these titles plan to be released separately? .
Old 01-31-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, you know, I just noticed the price point on this!! Heck I'd pay that for the 1 film. I just get the box set. But what about the transfer quality. Are there any objective reviews out there? Looking forward to this.

On a related story, given that the price point is so low, does anyone have an opinion on the A&C meet Frankenstein. That is avialable as a stand alone disc, but its also in the Vol 1. Can anyone compair?

Jim
Old 01-31-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by FaustBos
On a related story, given that the price point is so low, does anyone have an opinion on the A&C meet Frankenstein. That is avialable as a stand alone disc, but its also in the Vol 1. Can anyone compair?

I don't believe A&C Meet Frankenstein is included in Vol. 1, but the stand alone disc is definitely worth it. There's a commentary by a film historian, a 30-min documentary, and a few other things.
Old 01-31-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FaustBos

Jim
Some of these were released by Image as individual discs but the rights reverted to Universal. The quality was generally very good. I thought the quality of A&C meet Frankenstein was better than most of the movies in the Classic Monster Collection. Point of reference: I thought Invisible Man and Dracula so dirty and scratched they were nearly unwatchable. Bride was grainy but maybe it should be... I'm no expert. I found it more watchable than the previous two. The rest were acceptable. Oh, and A&C meet Frankenstein is not in Vol 1. Hope that helps you.
Old 01-31-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks guys, it sure does, I could have sworn I read that Frankenstein was on vol1 :-) But I decided to get the disc anyway due to the comentary and the low price of the universal discs.

Odd, I thought the monster collection was a superb transfer given some of the source material, Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein I thought were particuilar well done. I have the region 2 release though so there may be a difference there.

I also saw that Buck Privates is no longer in print, probably because of the rights reverting back. Glad I picked that one up.

Anyway, I've reserved vol 1 and plan on getting vol 2 regardless since Times of our LIves has been on my must have list since I got a DVD player back in 98. Never thought i'd see it on disc so i'm happy as a new england fried clam.
Old 01-31-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever happened to It Ain't Hay? That title was never released on VHS or LD, and it looks like it's not going to make this series either, dammit! I've got a bootleg copy from Ebay, but I want the real deal.

BTW, Meet Frankenstein is chronologically right after Wistful Widow, so it's bound to be on Vol. 3. Now The Noose Hangs High would be a very nice surprise for that volume!
Old 02-03-04, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! I can't wait! I'm thrilled to see that these movies are rolling out on DVD! Plus the price can't be beat!
Old 02-03-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news!

Can't wait for the Ma & Pa Kettle Vol. 2 either!
Old 02-03-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm holding out for the surreal Abbott & Costello Go To Mars. Mari Blanchard rules!
Old 02-03-04, 02:40 PM

"It Ain't Hay" is still held up in a rights battle with the Damon Runyan estate. He wrote the story that the script was based on. I really was hoping this title would make it too. I heard from someone who talked to Chris Costello recently that this is still not resolved.

Since they are going in Chronological order volume 3 would contain:
1.) Meet Frankenstein
2.) Mexican Hayride
3.) Meet the Killer
4.) In the Foreign Legion
5.) Meet the Invisible Man
6.) Comin' Round the Mountain
7.) Lost In Alaska
8.) Go To Mars

That would leave:
1.) Meet Dr. Jeckyl
2.) Meet the Keystone Cops
3.) Meet the Mummy

so volume 3 and 4 may contain less than 8 titles unless they can clear up the rights to It Ain't Hay" soon.

"The Noose hangs high" belongs to Warner Brothers and not Universal as well as:
1.) Rio Rita
2.) Lost in a Harem
3.) In Hollywood
4.) Dance with me Henry

Hopefully they may do a box set with these 5 titles similar to what they are doing with the Marx Brothers.

The only other films are:
1.) Meet Captain Kidd
2.) Jack and the Beanstock
3.) Africa Screams

These 3 are Public Domain.

Last edited by Randy K; 02-05-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-04-04, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just picked up the Best of Abbott & Costello - Vol 2. I don't see the Jerry Seinfeld special listed anywhere in the bonus features or movie list. I was looking forward to watching this as I missed it on TV when it aired a few years back.
Old 05-04-04, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 3 movies into Volume 1 and having a blast. I will be picking up Vol II.
Old 05-05-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the listing from dvdaf for Vol. 3 (not sure how accurate this is):

- Mexican Hayride (1948)
- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
- Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer (1949)
- Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion (1950)
- Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
- Comin' Round the Mountain (1951)
- Lost in Alaska (1952)
- Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953)
Old 05-05-04, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Exister
Here is the listing from dvdaf for Vol. 3 (not sure how accurate this is):

- Mexican Hayride (1948)
- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
- Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer (1949)
- Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion (1950)
- Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951)
- Comin' Round the Mountain (1951)
- Lost in Alaska (1952)
- Abbott and Costello Go to Mars (1953)
That is the official contents of Volume 3 according to Universal's website as well.
Old 05-05-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just picked up Vol 2 at Borders (used the 20% coupon from the other thread so the price was $15.98 + tax).

I've basically sold off most of my VHS A&C, but I hesitate to let go of the ...Meet Frankenstein because I suspect that the commentary track will be dropped - anyone have any word on that?
Old 05-05-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Just picked up Vol 2 at Borders (used the 20% coupon from the other thread so the price was $15.98 + tax).

I've basically sold off most of my VHS A&C, but I hesitate to let go of the ...Meet Frankenstein because I suspect that the commentary track will be dropped - anyone have any word on that?
It's not listed on Universal's website, so I'd hang onto it.
Old 05-05-04, 04:15 PM

My player started skipping badly around 1 hour 10 minutes of "The Time of Their Lives". Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-06-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BlueJayWay
My player started skipping badly around 1 hour 10 minutes of "The Time of Their Lives". Anyone else have this problem?
First movie I watched from this set. No probs here on my Toshiba.
Old 05-06-04, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by BlueJayWay
Yup, sure did. I just contacted amazon.com and asked for an exchange. It seems similar problems occurred with volume 1. I remember reading a thread where LOTS of people complained about skipping/freezing problems. Others got discs that worked just fine. Seems like a quality control issue with universal. You'da thought they'd gotten it fixed before volume 2 hit the streets. Apparently not. Since they decided to cram so many movies onto double-sided, double-layered discs, the problem was bound to happen. Hopefully they'll fix the problem with volume 3 and 4, but I doubt it. I guess it's just hit or miss. Either you got a good disc, or a dud. If you got a dud, just contact the company you bought it from and ask for an exchange.
Old 05-06-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My disc 2 was a floater but no scratches of any kind appear-thank god. But to be sure i'm watch that disc now, two down two good, so far.