Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

problem with my system

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

problem with my system

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
problem with my system

hey guys iam running a pioneer xv-htd510 receiver hooked up to a 27" 1.33 aspect ratio Toshibia tv. right now iam watching a widescreen copy of resident evil and iam not getting the black bars at the top and botth of my screen. i have my unit set up as 16:9 wide and still nothing. any one have any suggestions?
Old 01-30-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure your dvd player is set to output to a 4x3 set. Or if it has a zoom feature, make sure it's turned off.
Old 01-30-04, 07:29 PM

it is, because i just watched "snake eyes" in widescreen and i had the bars no zoom on my system
Old 01-30-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you set to 16:9 if you have a 4:3 display? Does your Tv have an anamorphic squeeze function? If not set the player to 4:3. You Snake Eyes DVD had black bars because it's not anamorphic.
Old 01-30-04, 09:39 PM

the dvd player was set to 16x9 because thats why the dvd was, it wouldnt get let me change the setting to 4:3. either way the widescreen dvd should have shown in widescreen, not full screen
Old 01-30-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Me007gold
the dvd player was set to 16x9 because thats why the dvd was, it wouldnt get let me change the setting to 4:3. either way the widescreen dvd should have shown in widescreen, not full screen
The dvd player's setting corresponds to the ratio of your TV, and not the movie. I'm sure your owner's manual will back me up on this one.

If it's set to 16x9 now, pick whatever the other option is.*

*Usually, you get 3 choices: widescreen (or 16x9), 4x3 letterbox, and 4x3 pan & scan. You want 4x3 letterbox or the equivalent for your player. If you can't switch the option, try stopping the movie and getting into the setup menu.
Old 01-30-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What everybody else said.

This is a very common mistake people make. Set your DVD player to output 4:3 letterbox, not 16:9.

As far as why you aren't seeing black bars with Resident Evil, but do with Snake Eyes:

Resident Evil is 1.85:1 and is anamorphically enhanced, so if your DVD player is set to output 16:9, the picture will be vertically stretched to fill the screen (look closely and you'll see that the picture is distorted).

If memory serves, Snake Eyes is not anamorphic, therefore regardless of how your player is set, the picture will not be distorted and you will see black bars. If I'm wrong and it is anamorphic, the movie was in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which will still exhibit black bars even though the picture is vertically stretched.