Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Confirms 'Halo 2' Release in Fall 2004

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Microsoft Confirms 'Halo 2' Release in Fall 2004

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rosoft_xbox_dc

2 hours, 10 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Halo 2," the sequel to the best-selling Xbox (news - web sites) game ever and one of the most-anticipated titles of 2004, will ship this fall, Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) said on Friday, dashing hopes that the game would be out sooner.

Many industry observers as well as fans had expected "Halo 2" to ship as early as the spring -- possibly in March or April -- and retailers had been counting on a June release date.

But a spokeswoman confirmed on Friday that the "Halo 2" launch is now set for the later part of the year. A firm launch date was not available, although it would be in Microsoft's next fiscal year, which starts in July, the spokeswoman said.

As of Friday morning, the Web sites of specialty game retailers GameStop Corp. (NYSE:GME - news) and Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp. (Nasdaq:ELBO - news) still listed "Halo 2" as being scheduled for a June 1 release.

Bungie, the Microsoft-owned developers of the original "Halo," which has sold more than 4 million units since its November 2001 release, posted a note about the timing of "Halo 2" on its Web site on Friday.

"So, remember last year when we told you we don't announce release dates until we're confident well meet our deadline? Well now were confident. Halo 2 will ship in fall 2004. Please make a note of it," the site said.

Chris
Old 01-30-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-30-04, 05:26 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it will be pushed back to the christmas season 2004, which is the smatest move MS has made in years!
Old 01-30-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
it will be pushed back to the christmas season 2004
Exactly what I think. Anyone who actually thought it would be released this spring was dreaming. It ain't gonna happen in the fall. Hell, we will probably be lucky to see it in November or December of this year.
Old 01-30-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts
Maybe it'll have less bugs if it's pushed back farther.
Old 01-30-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd bet that Halo 2 will be released somewhere between the second anniversary of Xbox Live (11-15) and the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 01-30-04, 07:21 PM

Hey Bungie...
1. Get gun
2. Aim gun at foot
3. Shoot foot with gun

I'm getting really tired with Halo 2 updates since they're really not giving people reasons for delays. It doesn't give me anything to laugh at anymore. I would really like to see what the programmers have been doing since they said, "Lets make Halo 2." If I or any self-respecting hard working person owned a company like that, don't you think I'd threaten firing people for that kind of slow output?

It's sad that they feel the need to keep pushing back this game because of some little bugs... well, isn't that was Xbox Live was for? Patching bugs with updates? Hell, that would be a good reason to pay the $50 a year wouldn't it? Capcom did it with CvS 2 when the music stopped playing after certain round finishes. Made the hardcore fans happy.

But in the end, it's all about money and what better time to rape the true gaming community and christmas shoppers than good ol' Christmas (or applicable religious holiday) cuz that's what the good ol' USA is all about.... right Mr. Gates?

Plus who can't forget that Microsoft doesn't have anything good to show (yet) for the Xbox at E3? Ninja Gaiden again? I would totally boycott Tecmo if they think that they feel the need for another T&A fest with Dead Or Alive. It was really pathetic. It's like "hey we have this awesome Ninja Gaiden game with mind-blowing graphics but lets promote DOA Online with pixelated T&A!" Whoever's doin' marketing needs to get laid. Seriously.

There's only one scenario that would truly bring back my laughter. I can only imagine that the game's done. I'm not saying it is im just saying this as a FICTIONAL situation. The game leaks like Half-Life 2, except in it's entirety. People know people that get it, and people learn the only way to play it is to mod your system. Think about it... between now (1.30.04) till it's released, don't you think some gamers are going to say "Hey, I've had enough of this game, lets get something else". Not that it'll happen most likely but what cheapskate is gonna shell out $50 to get the game they already have? Only true fans will wait and pay their respects since they know modding their Xbox will null and void any chances of playing it on Xbox Live (and i salute you)

I weep for thee Bungie & Microsoft....
Old 01-30-04, 07:44 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

dlogic, this game has never been psuhed back yet!, there was never a official release date yet! Bungie and MS both have said on record" When its ready its ready" the dates so forth have be set from the likes of EGM, EBgames, and other such nonsenciail companies trying to sell their rags, or preorders
Old 01-30-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

these sorts of remarks aren't called for

consider this a warning

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 01-31-04 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I don't understand how releasing it during Christmas is raping the consumer? The game will retail for the same price no matter when it is released. I could understand you using such a term as that if they chose to charge 75 for it just because they can, but to say they are doing something wrong for releasing it in the winter is nonsense.

And thank you Bungie for not releasing a buggy version to "patch" later through Xbox Live. That to me is raping the consumer, and I'm shocked that you would actually want something like that to happen. You would rather they release it 9 months early and wait through 9 months of patch downloading to finally get a copy worthy of release, then to let Bungie complete the project? I think you just don't like these companies and are grasping at any thread to bash them.

I would comment on your last paragraph about modding, but I really didn't understand what you were talking about so I'll just let it be.
Old 01-30-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dear god man, how long can it possibly take to release a flagship title.

Halo is the only talked about game that there is on the Xbox. I'm sorry, but when this game is that important to a company, you put all your people on it to finish it, not sit there and take your damn_time putting it togeather.
Old 01-31-04, 01:22 AM

It takes time to make quality games. MS knows a lot is riding on Halo 2, no game has been able to move consoles for MS like Halo, they need to make Halo 2 truely great and unique to mantain any momentum into the next generation IMO.
Old 01-31-04, 02:42 AM

There were a lot of people who really thought this game was coming out in Spring.
Old 01-31-04, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
You would rather they release it 9 months early and wait through 9 months of patch downloading to finally get a copy worthy of release, then to let Bungie complete the project?
I think you misunderstand Logic's point of view, he's not praising a buggy version he just wants to see it released already as many people do. I myself want to see it released as well but working in a video game store having to hear people constantly whine about how their game isnt out yet gets on your nerves. I had about 50 people today call about this bit of news and each ended with some random lamer cussing me out about their precious Halo 2. All that aside I know it takes time to make a quality game, but I have a bad feeling about this. Remember Brute Force? Where was the quality? I personally didnt enjoy that title and neither did the 30 plus people who returned it the next day. I truly hope Bungie knows what they are doing.
Old 01-31-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Halo isn't the only game that sells xboxes... what about KOTOR? Ninja Gaiden will also sell lots of xboxes. Splinter Cell was huge for Xbox before it was ported to the other systems. Personally, I don't care if they release it in a week or a year... I'll play it when it comes out. What's the big deal if they release it in September rather than March? The longer a developer spends on a game, the better it'll turn out. Games like True Crime and Matrix that were rushed to make a deadline suffered for it. Games that take their sweet ass time to come out usually end up better. Hell, Crimson Skies took ages longer than it was supposed to and look at what a spectacular game that is. This doesn't bother me anymore than the Half-Life 2 delay, the Doom 3 delay, the Duke Nukem Forever delay or any other delay. These games eventually come out regardless... you'll all grow old and die eventually too - don't be in such a hurry. Think of it this way - you want to eat something fast, you go to McDonalds and put crap into your body - tastes like crap, looks like crap, and is bad for you... but it comes to you fast. Then say you want something good to eat... you go to a good steakhouse and wait for 20 minutes or so for your steak to be ready - when it comes it's sizzling, juicy and tasty. Good things come to those who wait... just don't put ketchup on your steak.
Old 01-31-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh well when it's out it's gonna rule so it doesn't matter really.. i'll play it someday. I found some Halo 2 voice outtakes though some are funny
http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/fea...ttakes_01.html

check out particularly the Joe has lost it mp3... and see if you can guess where that's from

oh and this new picture rules

http://halo.bungie.net/images/site/h...2/h2_mp_01.jpg

ok that picture is huge.. go to the link to check it out

Last edited by glassdragon; 01-31-04 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-31-04, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by zero
I think you misunderstand Logic's point of view, he's not praising a buggy version he just wants to see it released already as many people do. I myself want to see it released as well but working in a video game store having to hear people constantly whine about how their game isnt out yet gets on your nerves. I had about 50 people today call about this bit of news and each ended with some random lamer cussing me out about their precious Halo 2. All that aside I know it takes time to make a quality game, but I have a bad feeling about this. Remember Brute Force? Where was the quality? I personally didnt enjoy that title and neither did the 30 plus people who returned it the next day. I truly hope Bungie knows what they are doing.
No I don't think I DID misunderstand his point of view. He clearly stated they should release it NOW, and if there are bugs that Xbox Live is there to patch it. And I am sorry that people whine about Halo 2 to you, but you cannot blame the two companies that NEVER set a release date. They did not lead the consumer on in any way. The fact that stores and magazines like to speculate is not their fault. If people get so bent out of shape and curse you out because "M$" won't release their precious game then tell them that perhaps playing a violent game isn't the best way they could be spending their time.
Old 01-31-04, 06:15 AM

With Halo 2 that far back, I definately can't see Xbox 2 coming out in 2005, I think they want Halo 2 to be the ace game that keeps the xbox through 2005 until mid 2006 when xbox 2 comes out, just my guess, because Halo 3 won't be for xbox, but probabley Xbox 2.

I think the live servers will be implented much better for Halo 2 when it comes out as well.
Old 01-31-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
if there is a Halo 3... Bungie doesn't wanna make another one (so I hear)
Old 01-31-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Halo isn't the only game that sells xboxes... what about KOTOR? Ninja Gaiden will also sell lots of xboxes. Splinter Cell was huge for Xbox before it was ported to the other systems. Personally, I don't care if they release it in a week or a year... I'll play it when it comes out. What's the big deal if they release it in September rather than March? The longer a developer spends on a game, the better it'll turn out. Games like True Crime and Matrix that were rushed to make a deadline suffered for it. Games that take their sweet ass time to come out usually end up better. Hell, Crimson Skies took ages longer than it was supposed to and look at what a spectacular game that is. This doesn't bother me anymore than the Half-Life 2 delay, the Doom 3 delay, the Duke Nukem Forever delay or any other delay. These games eventually come out regardless... you'll all grow old and die eventually too - don't be in such a hurry. Think of it this way - you want to eat something fast, you go to McDonalds and put crap into your body - tastes like crap, looks like crap, and is bad for you... but it comes to you fast. Then say you want something good to eat... you go to a good steakhouse and wait for 20 minutes or so for your steak to be ready - when it comes it's sizzling, juicy and tasty. Good things come to those who wait... just don't put ketchup on your steak.
I always eat ketchup on my steak!
Old 01-31-04, 11:39 AM

ketchup and some spicy salsa on my steak! :-)
Old 01-31-04, 02:04 PM

This sucks.....

Oh well. When does the new Conker's Bad Fur Day come out?
Old 01-31-04, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Halo isn't the only game that sells xboxes... what about KOTOR? Ninja Gaiden will also sell lots of xboxes. Splinter Cell was huge for Xbox before it was ported to the other systems.
Were you addresing this to me?
Old 01-31-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
It takes time to make quality games. MS knows a lot is riding on Halo 2, no other game has been able to move consoles for MS, they need to make Halo 2 truely great and unique to mantain any momentum into the next generation IMO.
fixed.
Old 01-31-04, 05:41 PM

Why fixed? I never said that, and I don't believe that. I do feel other games have been able to move xboxes. It's just that Halo has done the most.

Trigger if your comment was addressing me I didn't mean Halo is the only game. If not, sorry for the confusion.

My original comments:
It takes time to make quality games. MS knows a lot is riding on Halo 2, no game has been able to move consoles for MS like Halo, they need to make Halo 2 truely great and unique to mantain any momentum into the next generation IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.