New Way To Collect DVD'S!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget that whole Spine Number thing, I personally found there just wasnt enought stuff to buy this way.

I have discovered UPC CODES!!!!

They all have 'em! Which means I need to purchase everything to complete my collection, including movies I would otherwise have absolutely no interest in whatsoever!! What FUN!!! Oh boy, there goes my savings, but who cares, I will be the only person to have a complete collection! Think that is fun? Wait til you try and put them in order!!! I have only gotten 1/1000th of the way through and I have gone through 8 bottles of Advil! WEEEEEEE!

Sounds kinda ridiculous huh?
Old 01-30-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 602 Likes on 348 Posts
I only collect DVDs that come in some type of case.
Old 01-30-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I collect anything with carbon in it. You should see my collection of sculptures created from 15th Century Dominican bowel movements. Good stuff, and less cheesy than unicorns.
Old 01-30-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: New Way To Collect DVD'S!!!

Originally posted by rushmore223
Sounds kinda ridiculous huh?
Not at all. If it makes you happy and you can afford it, more power to you. Just be prepared because inevitably someone will come along and get their jollies by denigrating what you choose to do with your money and time.
Old 01-30-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How dare you spend your money on material things!

Shame on you!

Old 01-30-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mine are sorted by UPC. Doesn't everyone do it this way????
Old 01-30-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally only like collecting the dvds with yellow spines.....all the other ones are a waste.
Old 01-30-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally only like collecting the dvds without yellow spines.
Old 01-30-04, 02:16 PM

Yellow spines only huh? Sounds like a classic case of DVD racism
Old 01-30-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Wannabe
I personally only like collecting the dvds without yellow spines.
Funny, I'm kinda like that. I'm so picky, I won't buy a DVD unless it's got at least ONE shiny side...
Old 01-30-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only collect DVDs with inserts.
Old 01-30-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only collect DVDs without Inserts
Old 01-30-04, 02:45 PM

I buy it for the movie, i could care less about the piece of paper inside or the case that holds it. The extras are a nice little bonus but otherwise -- all about the movie.
Old 01-30-04, 03:03 PM

Re: Re: New Way To Collect DVD'S!!!

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
[...] If it makes you happy and you can afford it, more power to you. Just be prepared because inevitably someone will come along and get their jollies by denigrating what you choose to do with your money and time.
Precisely.

Hell, that person may even be petty enough to start a thread denigrating certain collectors. And for no other purpose than to rag on people interested in broadening their horizons by checking out eclectic cinema -- cinema that is more often than not presented in its most pristine form, with a slew of extras to help contextualize it, by a company with a proven track record for quality.

Perhaps if that person getting his jollies at the expense of others would begin to look at certain companies as, say, content editors -- similar to those who vet new fiction for public consumption based on their own peculiar aesthetic -- that person would understand why certain film buffs, once they've established a trust with a given set of "editors," will happily accept the recommendations of those editors and blind buy particular titles based on their inclusion in a collection.

But then if he did so, we'd be robbed of insipid analogies and unprovoked, defensive sniping. And who wants that...?
Old 01-30-04, 03:08 PM

I collect various "FBI" and "Interpol" warnings in regards to unauthorized duplication. Some day, I'm going to splice them all together and have a marathon of sorts. I'll serve chips!
Old 01-30-04, 03:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: New Way To Collect DVD'S!!!

Originally posted by celluloidwisdom
Precisely....

I think perhaps you missed the point. He's criticizing you not for blind buying films, but for mindlessly consuming for the sake of consumption. And i think he makes a very valid point. A vast majority of the dvd enthusiast realm consists of materially obsessed individuals, who purchase films not for the ability to watch the movie on demand, but rather for the perverse joy of material ownerships. Would you rather buy just the disc for $10, of the disc plus special keen packaging for $20? I would venture to say your choice would fall with the latter; the film is not the important part, the physical, material aspect is. That criterion numbers their products enhances this need for ownership. They release wonderful films, yes. However, I would guess that most people who purchase each new Criterion release do so not for the joy of experiencing new cinema, but for the joy of material completion, of ownership.
Old 01-30-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
You've already done plenty of criticising in the previous thread. Was this thread really necessary? This is just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.
Old 01-30-04, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Way To Collect DVD'S!!!

Originally posted by NuclearOctopus5
I think perhaps you missed the point. He's criticizing you not for blind buying films, but for mindlessly consuming for the sake of consumption. And i think he makes a very valid point. A vast majority of the dvd enthusiast realm consists of materially obsessed individuals, who purchase films not for the ability to watch the movie on demand, but rather for the perverse joy of material ownerships. Would you rather buy just the disc for $10, of the disc plus special keen packaging for $20? I would venture to say your choice would fall with the latter; the film is not the important part, the physical, material aspect is. That criterion numbers their products enhances this need for ownership. They release wonderful films, yes. However, I would guess that most people who purchase each new Criterion release do so not for the joy of experiencing new cinema, but for the joy of material completion, of ownership.
Uh, first off, you don't know the first thing about me, so I suggest you hold on to your simplistic Tyler Durden-esque pop-socio critiques until you have the opportunity to foist them on someone shallow enough to be impressed. Personally, I don't buy every Criterion; but I certainly wouldn't presume to judge someone who does on the strength of a semester of community college sociology and a subscription to The Nation. Secondly, I didn't miss the point of the initial post: analogizing a specific collection -- vetted by humans and consisting of deliberately chosen titles -- to the entirety of all DVDs, is simply ridiculous. The point (such as it is) is inferential and juvenile.

Also, I expect DVDs with a host of supplements to cost a bit more than bare-bones releases, just as I expect to spend more on an entree with side dishes than I would on ala carte items alone. But liking the supplements -- and being willing to spend more for them -- does not equate in any reasonable way to unabashed materialism, nor does it equate to a disingenuous interest in the film. Arguing otherwise (as you did) says more about you than it does about those who purchase DVDs with the supplements in mind...

Last edited by celluloidwisdom; 01-30-04 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a fun thread.
Old 01-30-04, 04:59 PM

Well, I was the one personally attacked as a mouth-breathing conspicuous consumer, and I'm still having fun

...'s the materialist in me.

Last edited by celluloidwisdom; 01-30-04 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thou shalt be the ultimate double dipper........did those free Pizza Hut DVDs have a UPC code? If not you'll need to come up with a better system
Old 01-30-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i'll add my own to the OP....you don't see anyone around here starting threads to give you crap about owning all of the Ernest movies do you? It's called to each his own. 90% of the Criterions I buy, and I absolutely LOVE 90% them....and I would never have known them had Criterion not existed to provide such cinematic jewels.....let it go man....just let it go. This is getting to be a very tiresome rant around here...I don't understand why having taste in a certain realm of filmdom causes such ire in those who can't relate.
Old 01-30-04, 06:44 PM

I completely agree with NuclearOctopus5 and think that is the case with 99% of the people here.
Old 01-30-04, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by andrewdow
I completely agree with NuclearOctopus5 and think that is the case with 99% of the people here.
Back it up, then. Prove -- or even attempt to prove -- that 99% of the people who frequent a DVD forum are not interested in movies so much as they are in collecting discs for the sake of hoarding them -- that 99% of the people here are somehow self-delusional about their interest in film and are instead unthinking puppets manipulated by an all-powerful materialist culture.

Or don't. Instead, just make sweeping generalizations, pat yourself on the back for being "controversial", and head back to your PlayStation 2.

Last edited by celluloidwisdom; 01-30-04 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-30-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm one of the 1% that actually likes watching my movies!

This is a DVD forum, is it not? Or am I in the wrong place.

Just checking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.