TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sources: 3rd season of Justice League will have new name, characters

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sources: 3rd season of Justice League will have new name, characters

From http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...1/19/index.htm

Sources have confirmed for The Continuum that plans are for the third season of Cartoon Network's Justice League animated series to be called Justice League Unlimited. The season opener will likely be titled "Initiation."
Also, from earlier reports, there will be new characters joining the show:

Spoiler:
Among the characters apppearing next season will be Captain Atom, Red Tornado, Atom, Black Canary and Green Arrow

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...2/05/index.htm
Old 01-30-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they really need to change the name. I also don't understand the need to add more characters to the show when the ones they have don't even appear in every episode.

But, I'm looking forward to seeing the ones listed.
Old 01-30-04, 10:21 AM
MrN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, they don't really need new recurring characters - so I'm guessing those names mentioned will be guests for specific stories.

And they really don't need that title change - its so 'Marvel.'

When is the third season supposed to start anyway?
Old 01-30-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Don't really understand the need to change the title, either.
Old 01-30-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
to green arrow, but I guess the others don't excite me much.

Personally there are other great minor DC character that I would rather see like this guy
Old 01-30-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Well at least they're not PC characters like Superfriends brought in: Black Vulcan (which makes me laugh everytime I say it ), Samurai, Apache Chief, and the funniest one of all, El Dorado.
Old 01-30-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
this name change was discussed in the previous JL threads from last year. I think the purpose of it is simply because they are adding more characters. I hope they continue to use the "regular" JL cast members.
Old 01-30-04, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Well at least they're not PC characters like Superfriends brought in: Black Vulcan
The really funny thing about Black Vulcan is that at the time, DC had a character called Black Lightning. As you might expect, he was a black guy with lightning powers. Unfortunately, Black Lightning's creator had a deal with DC that said that the creator would get a portion of the revenues for any licenses appearances of Black Lightning (this was highly unusual for the time). Rather than pay the creator, they basically decided to "create" Black Vulcan instead.

OK, maybe that's not really funny.
Old 01-30-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Maybe prepping for a spinoff?
I'm not a fan of the characters listed, except for Black Canary.
But yeah, those PC characters in the old Superfriends show were sad.
Watching those old episodes is really eye-opening; episodes where they yielded to help the UN; I remember one episode where they were going to have a meeting about something. Wonder Woman hadn't said a word the entire episode, until they're getting ready for the meeting, and people are going to fly out and bring evidence and stuff. Zoom in on Wonder Woman: "And I'll take notes!" Way to be liberated, Diana.
Old 01-30-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, but Wendy and Marvin.....they were the real power.
Old 01-30-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by dtcarson

Watching those old episodes is really eye-opening; episodes where they yielded to help the UN; I remember one episode where they were going to have a meeting about something. Wonder Woman hadn't said a word the entire episode, until they're getting ready for the meeting, and people are going to fly out and bring evidence and stuff. Zoom in on Wonder Woman: "And I'll take notes!" Way to be liberated, Diana.

WW may not have been a women's liber, but at least she didn't a lift everytime there was a crisis, unlike Aquaman.
Old 01-30-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
What's next? A JLA of Vibe, Gypsy, Steel and Martian Manhunter?

Of all the new characters, the first really sticks out. All the rest are long time JLA members, but CA is really a transplanted character... and Firestorm would seem a much nicer fit (as well as being an old Superfriend)

If anyone remembers the old JSA of the Golden Age, Wonder Woman was basically the secretary and that's all she did. In fact, in her earliest appearances I think she always had to be rescued by Steve Trevor...
Old 01-31-04, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
but at least she didn't a lift everytime there was a crisis, unlike Aquaman.
Umm, is it just me or is something missing from this sentence? Could you please clarify, as I'm actually interested in knowing what you intended to say.
Old 01-31-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I'm all for it.

DC has tons of interesting heroes that need exposure.

Captain Atom

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-01-04 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-31-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plastic Man, damnit!
Old 01-31-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sources: 3rd season of Justice League will have new name, characters

Originally posted by Morf
Among the characters apppearing next season will be Captain Atom, Red Tornado, Atom, Black Canary and Green Arrow
Captain Atom:

Powers: By coating himself at will with the alien alloy that is now part of his body, Captain Atom gains the powers of invulnerability, super-strength, anti-gravity powers and the ability to fire atomic energy blasts. Also able to absorb most kinds of energy, he runs the risk of "quantum jumping" through the time stream if he absorbs too much.

Red Tornado:

Powers: Living embodiment of sentient wind elemental, having total control over wind and air. Red Tornado is also an android, and holds information on all of the heroes and villains of the DCU.

The Atom:

Powers: Can alter size and mass at will.

Black Canary:

Powers: The "Canary Cry" -- a powerful sonic attack that she projects using her voice. Black Canary is also a superb athlete and master of numerous martial arts, including karate, judo and aikido.

Green Arrow:

Powers: None, although he has expert marksmanship.

I tried to get Bruce Timm illustrations where possible.
Old 01-31-04, 12:04 PM

So let me try to figure this out..

They're going to add these 4 to the current team

or take out some?

I mean, the JL is kind large as it is now...and the others don't get enough time anyways...

I kind of wish they would take out Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern out for Black Canary and Green Arrow instead....I really like Green Lantern..but the cartoon doesn't use him well enough [in fact, it seems all they have him do is form a shield so they can fly in outer space or breathe underwater.]
Old 01-31-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Yeah, maybe if they wanted to put Hal Jordan in as GL, then put in Steel and a couple of the other characters currently in. Plasticman would definitely rule.
Old 01-31-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by sararekuforever
So let me try to figure this out..

They're going to add these 4 to the current team

or take out some?

I mean, the JL is kind large as it is now...and the others don't get enough time anyways...

I kind of wish they would take out Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern out for Black Canary and Green Arrow instead....I really like Green Lantern..but the cartoon doesn't use him well enough [in fact, it seems all they have him do is form a shield so they can fly in outer space or breathe underwater.]
Do you watch the show much? There's always a revolving door on who is in any given episode. Usually all the members aren't shown in an episode unless it's important to the advancement of the plot.
Old 01-31-04, 07:05 PM

I watch it at nights and when new ones come on.

I am just saying, in a majority of episodes, we see them doing the same things..like Green Lantern always forcefields or helps people travel in space or underwater or whatever...

I just know Green Lantern can do a lot more from reading the comics, and I'd like to see that sometime

Or maybe Wonder Woman..in the comics she is so strong..nearly invincible..and I think the RPG has her power level right up there with Superman..so I wish they gave her more strength in the cartoon
Old 01-31-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by sararekuforever
I watch it at nights and when new ones come on.

I am just saying, in a majority of episodes, we see them doing the same things..like Green Lantern always forcefields or helps people travel in space or underwater or whatever...

I just know Green Lantern can do a lot more from reading the comics, and I'd like to see that sometime

Or maybe Wonder Woman..in the comics she is so strong..nearly invincible..and I think the RPG has her power level right up there with Superman..so I wish they gave her more strength in the cartoon
Again, do you watch the show?

The second season had Green Lantern making all sorts of new things with his ring. A snowboard, hammers, big hands and all sorts of pointy objects. It's hard to gauge how powerful WW is in the cartoon, because Supes always fights the big baddies. It would seem they have her at similar strength as him, though.
Old 01-31-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<------------ Needs to be on the damn show, at least in a guest appearance.
Old 01-31-04, 08:07 PM

I watch it, and I love the episodes where the others get to use their powers to full extent..

But sometimes they're shoved back to minimal roles and it really makes me mad...

I love the ones where Batman or Green Lantern just leave me amazed at what they cando.
Old 01-31-04, 09:19 PM

Firestorm and Captain Atom are good choices. Drop Hawkwoman also.
Old 01-31-04, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
What's next? A JLA of Vibe, Gypsy, Steel and Martian Manhunter?

Of all the new characters, the first really sticks out. All the rest are long time JLA members, but CA is really a transplanted character... and Firestorm would seem a much nicer fit (as well as being an old Superfriend)
I'm as old school as they come (for example, I know that Aquaman and Vixen would also be in the JLA you mentioned above), but keep in mind it's been 15 years since Legends -- i.e. Cpatian Atom has been affiliated with the Justice League for 15 years. I think it's perfectly appropriate to include him on the show.

Non-comic book nerds can ignore this post.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.