ESPN's Playmakers in April.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see this posted anywhere. I thought I would share it here. Check out espn.com for more info.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/12/621/5...header_dvd.gif
Old 01-29-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this show any good? Is it like Any Given Sunday? Is there any ridiculous eye removal scenes?
Old 01-29-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's good, looking forward to it!
Old 01-29-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-29-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll probably pick it up. Badass show....especially if you like Any Given Sunday.
Old 01-29-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I suppose it was good, if by good you mean it sucked.
Old 01-29-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why is the linebacker the centerpiece for the DVD art and the show? He's a secondary character behind the two running backs.

Wouldn't everyone agree with that? I don't mean secondary as in unecessary, but I think of the veteran RB and the rookie RB, DH, as "1" and "1a" as far as main characters, and the linebacker as a number "2."
Old 01-30-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
For a show about football, it had very little football.

I was *hugely* disappointed by this show. It's essentially a soap opera that just happens to have football players.

It's terrible, and I really wanted to like it. I have no plans on watching season 2, not as if there is any chance to be any.
Old 01-30-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had heard the show was good, but completely unrealistic in it's depiction of football players' lives off the field. I'll give it a rent, but not much more unless I hear differently.
Old 01-30-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really loved this show, but I dont think I will buy it as i got them all TiVo'd
Old 01-30-04, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
For a show about football, it had very little football.

I was *hugely* disappointed by this show. It's essentially a soap opera that just happens to have football players.

It's terrible, and I really wanted to like it. I have no plans on watching season 2, not as if there is any chance to be any.
Ummm... yeah, thats exactally what it is. But I ask, what else would it be? If it was more football, what really would be the point of the show, especially since you could just watch REAL football instead. The show was intended to talk about the stories around football.

It is not unrealistic about players lives, it is unrealistic that one team has THIS many players like this. None of the issues that they dealt with on the show have not actually happened. To me, the annoying thing was that the issues "real" world parallels were WAY too similar (DH for example).

I don't understand how someone could complain about "realism" on a syndicated show. The problem that people have with Playmakers is that they don't really understand what they were expecting. In Any Given Sunday, the football scenes existed to carry the plot along. Actually think about ANY sports movie, most of them are only 25% or less about the sport that they represent.

Playmakers is a pretty good show. A good show about the world around football, however, the problem about the world around football is that the reality is pretty boring and to create a drama show they have a lot of characters with problems, LIKE ANY SYNDICATED television show!

-Z-
Old 01-30-04, 04:32 PM

Just to point out...Playmakers isn't/wasn't syndicated(is there a season 2 in the works?), it's an ESPN show. I think I know what word you were going for, but it's not coming to the front of my mind at the moment.
Old 01-30-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Syndication requires 100 shows (well, not requires, but that's the typical benchmark).

Just like in Princess Bride, I do not think that word means what he thinks that it means
Old 01-31-04, 08:45 PM

Forgive me for using the wrong word, I guess everything I had to say means nothing because of it... oh well....

BTW- There WILL be a second season. Not confirmed, but implied by ESPN.

-Z-
Old 01-31-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one thing about this crapfest espn gave us it is not for the die hard sports fan. I guess the casual sports fan that likes soap opera stuff might like it.
Old 01-31-04, 11:16 PM

Here are the full specs:

http://www.boxsetbliss.com/news.asp?TID=355

Playmakers: Complete First Season
Street Date: 4/20/2004
SRP: $49.99
Label: ESPN Video
Length: 484 mins

The Most Controversial Series of the Season. An ESPN Original Entertainment Series. This 3-Disc Set contains all 11 episodes from the series.

Features:
- Behind The Scenes Featurette
- Outtakes
- Audio Commentary
Old 02-01-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Matthew Zolton
Forgive me for using the wrong word, I guess everything I had to say means nothing because of it... oh well....

-Z-
Matt, how can you say there WILL be a second season when nothing has been confirmed? The only thing ESPN has implied is that they were considering additional dramatic programming including a 2nd season of Playmakers. I think everything points to NO, considering the NFL's reaction as well as the fact that they are planning a dramatic series on college basketball. It's a little too early to say there WILL be one, all things considered. That's just my two cents anyway.
Old 02-01-04, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Syndication doesn't require 100 episodes. Baywatch, She Spies, V.I.P and Mutant X all syndicated after first season. Playmakers was realistic. Some players are gay, some do drugs, and some commit spousal abuse. You might not think that all this could happen to one team but it probably does. A lot of things happen that we never know about. It's a great show I heard that it might get canceled because the NFL doesn't like how it characterizes its players but it does happen. I also heard that it was one of the top ten new shows of 2003 and yes there were a lot of new shows in 2003.
Old 02-02-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by actionjackson20
Syndication doesn't require 100 episodes. Baywatch, She Spies, V.I.P and Mutant X all syndicated after first season. Playmakers was realistic. Some players are gay, some do drugs, and some commit spousal abuse. You might not think that all this could happen to one team but it probably does. A lot of things happen that we never know about. It's a great show I heard that it might get canceled because the NFL doesn't like how it characterizes its players but it does happen. I also heard that it was one of the top ten new shows of 2003 and yes there were a lot of new shows in 2003.
Yes, in fact 100 is the benchmark. The shows you described were syndicated shows FROM THE BEGINNING.

We all agree that the show represented realistic themes, but that was one screwed up team. NO TEAM has that many problems. Again, it was simply a soap opera that happened to have football players.

Some things I read said it was one of the best, some said one of the worst. I thought it was simply another in a long line of shows just like it.
Old 02-02-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by wfujosh
Yes, in fact 100 is the benchmark.
"Is a mark" would be a better way to put it. 65 is another <small>(for daily stripping, airing one episode a weekday, means no repeated episodes for 13 weeks, or four cycles a year)</small>.
Old 02-04-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Matthew Zolton

-Z-
Matt, I thought you might be interested in this:

http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2004/0204/1727165.html

Playmakers officially cancelled.
Old 02-04-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good riddence!!! espn needs to cocentrate on sports and not tv product. Because disney owns them they have to stick there nose in everything. ESPN would of ended up like mtv (no music) with hardly any sports and lame programming.
Old 02-05-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given how much attention this issue has received, I wanted to let everyone in the company know that we have made the decision not to renew Playmakers for a second season. Many considerations went into this decision, not the least of which was the reaction from a longtime and valued partner, the NFL. There are good arguments on both sides of this debate, but ultimately, we decided (...)

We took a risk with Playmakers and are proud of the results - Playmakers was a critical success and was embraced by our viewers. (...)