Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Darkness - news and reviews

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Darkness - news and reviews

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone have "permission to land" by the darkenss?

apparently they are a big uk sensation and the album is very good (this is in the new rolling stone issue with Britney on the cover). the album came out today and was wondering if it was worth picking up.
Old 09-17-03, 12:40 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
a darkness search reveals 2 posts in one thread...

not much, it's the number 1 album in the UK and according to a pal in the UK they are

Queen meets Spinal Tap playing AC/DC riffs...
Old 09-17-03, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, its good. I was in England at the end of August and I think they had the #1 album right before I came back. The riffs are BIG, and the singer ranges from growls to full-on falsetto voice, which is his main voice, so it takes some getting used to. I was going to get it over there but prices are better here. I think CDUniverse has it for 8 and change (plus shipping).
Old 10-07-03, 11:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
a darkness search reveals 2 posts in one thread...

not much, it's the number 1 album in the UK and according to a pal in the UK they are

Queen meets Spinal Tap playing AC/DC riffs...
of the tidbit audio samples I have heard, I can't believe this is number 1 album fodder for the masses, are UK music fans really this fickle (or gullable) - I personally find the album cringe-inducing. 'Live' though I have read they are a novelty band that flaunts it's 80's sound, I would on the other hand would flee and head toward the hills.
Old 10-08-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was flipping through channels last night and MTV News just happened to have a segment on them. I laughed, I cringed, I'm not sure what to make of them yet, but I'm willing to give it a listen,despite it's cheese-heavy potential. Anyone who does jump-kicks on stage while wearing spandex jumpsuits and has that 80's metal voice is worthy of an honest listen. Someone called them a gay AC/DC meets a straight QUEEN,
Old 10-08-03, 07:25 PM

It's probably one of the most horrible things I've heard in years. Tongue-in-cheek doesn't bother me, but this is just bad. I don't really get the claims that they're some amazingly kick-ass "return to ROCK" kind of band, either. Sounded fairly tame to me.
Old 10-08-03, 07:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I bought it, it's 8.99 at virgin, some of it is fun and the rest of it is blah, I am sure it will get tired very quickly
Old 10-09-03, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I bought it, it's 8.99 at virgin, some of it is fun and the rest of it is blah, I am sure it will get tired very quickly
well, when you get tired of it, send it to me for a listen.
Old 10-10-03, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Rock Album in over 10 years! Period.

I've had this for 3 weeks now and it hasn't left my car CD player. the songs are so fun and catchy and rocking. I've never been this excited about an album in years.

After over 10 years of that aweful boring grunge and alternative rock "mumble mumble Im so sad" at last, a real rock band with rock stars, tight pants, power cords, falsetto, big hair, lyrics about rocking and girls, and guitar solos.

If you just rolled your eyes and thought to yourself "how cheesy" you will never get it, go listen to Coldplay, Staind and Audioslave stand in one place and mumble at the floor about how depressing everything is and become bored out of your mind.

However, if you grew up when Rock was fun, either the 70's days of KISS, Thin Lizzy, Queen and Aerosmith, or the 80's days of Motley Crue, ACDC, Ratt and Dokken... I can't see how you will not LOVE this album. amazing. rock is back.
Old 10-10-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's good. The singing gets kind of annoying sometimes though. The production and songs are really good though. Some great solos on here too.
Old 10-25-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really like it. Just bought it yesterday. Already been told twice to turn that crap down.
Old 10-25-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Saw the video on VH1. Very 70's classic rock influenced. They almost sound like a real rock band. The singer's falsetto voice is highly annoying, though, and would keep me from enjoying this too much.

Why does everything that's not played in a minor key have to be considered camp?
Old 11-05-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

question regarding the video. did the vocals seem off key. maybe due to pal speedup.
this cd is the best to annoy others.
Old 11-06-03, 11:25 PM

My opinion (based on the one song I've seen on MTV/VH1):

Music: pretty decent hard rock, good riffs
Lyrics: a tad on the corny side
Vocals: decent when singing in normal range, terrible falsetto
Image: a bit silly
Old 11-06-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Darkness is cool
Old 11-07-03, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

I LOVE this cd! a band that can totally rock and make you smile at the same time are okay by me.
Old 11-07-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The scary thing is they aren't being tongue-in-cheek (at least according to their interview on VH-1.com)
Old 01-29-04, 02:26 PM

The Darkness invades the US!

from NME:

THE DARKNESS will launch their first full scale assault on the US when they kick off their debut Stateside tour on March 26 in MILWAUKEE.

The spandex-rockers have confirmed 18 dates on the back of the success of their debut album 'Permission To Land', which has already sold 165,000 copies in the US.

According to Billboard, the group's single 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' moved up from 21 to 19 on their Modern Rock Tracks chart last week and is currently the most-played video on MTV2.

As previously reported on NME.COM, The Darkness, who had a storming 2003 in the UK, have scooped four nominations for the NME Awards 2004. They’ve been nominated in the Best Live Band and Best UK Band categories, while ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’ is up for Best Single and Best Video

The US tour dates are:

Milwaukee Rave (March 26)
Chicago The Vic (27)
Detroit St Andrews (28)
Cleveland Peabody's (30)
Pittsburgh Laga (31)
Philadelphia Theater Of The Living Arts (April 2)
Boston Avalon (3)
Providence, R.I. Lupos (4)
Washington DC 9:30 Club (6)
Atlanta Cotton Club (8)
New Orleans House Of Blues (9)
Houston Engine Room (11)
Dallas Trees (12)
Austin, Texas La Zona Rosa (13)
Phoenix Marquee (15)
San Diego Canes (16)
Los Angeles Henry Fonda Theatre (17)
Denver Ogden Theater (19)

Guess I should go just for the kitsch value and for a good time.
Old 02-01-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Can someone expain The Darkness to me?

What kind of group are they? I see them under Hard Rock but they sound popish to me. I've seen their video with the space hip and spandex...are they a comedy band like Spinal Tap?

What's the deal with these guys?
Old 02-01-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Re: Can someone expain The Darkness to me?

Originally posted by Giantrobo
What kind of group are they? I see them under Hard Rock but they sound popish to me. I've seen their video with the space hip and spandex...are they a comedy band like Spinal Tap?

What's the deal with these guys?
Offhand, I'd say that they're a RAWK for the sake of RAWK (or METAL for the sake of METAL) type of band that we saw in the 80s, only with a little more irony.

Spinal Tappish, maybe. In the sense that they make fun of the big dumb rock, but still have a lot of affection for it nontheless.
Old 02-18-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

just to let those interested know, the next radio song is "growing on me" (thats the one that the local radio station is playing. they are also the station that claims that they were the first place to play "i belive in a thing called love"