Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jay-Z "The Grey Album" (Dangermouse) due Feb/Mar of 2k4

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else looking forward to this? The best description of the disc is from Dangermouse's website, and I think this will be pretty mind-bending. Or fascinating at the least.

The Grey Album is an art project/experiment that uses the full vocal content of Jay-Z's Black Album recorded over new beats and production made using the Beatles White Album as the sole source material. Danger Mouse insists he can explain and prove that all the music on the Grey Album can be traced back to the White Album and its musical content via sampling. Every kick, snare, and chord is taken from the Beatles White Album and is in their original recording somwhere.

This Incredible re-interpretation will be one to look out for and will be made available worldwide around Feb/March of 2004. The resulting record is a unique hybrid of work from one of hip-hop's fastest rising production stars via two of the most important musical and cultural forces ever.

In an incredible year, Danger Mouse has already received critical acclaim from his status as the Producer and DJ of the DM & Jemini duo. His work on their 'Ghetto Pop Life' debut showcased his enormous potential and 2004 will see Danger Mouse involved in several further projects.

Both the Beatles own remix project ('Let It Be... Naked') and Jay-Z's retirement Black Album are in stores now. At the time of writing, neither Jay-Z nor The Beatles were available for comment.
Old 01-29-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if this will even reach stores, unless both Jay-Z and Beatles gave approval for the useage of their music.
Old 01-29-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

are there any leaks or official downloads of a track? i'm very curious how this sounds
Old 01-29-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if I can legitmately answer this, but yes, I understand that it is all over p2p.

It appears that the album will come out; I'm assuming Lex is doing the releasing. But I'm not sure of that, either.
Old 01-29-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The record is a lot of fun and, at times, very good.
Old 01-29-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's also "The White Album" and "The Brown Album". I doubt any of them will be officially released though.
Old 01-29-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can hear some snippets here:

http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/greyalbum.html
Old 01-29-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well, i'm not as excited for it to be released, after I heard those snippets
Originally posted by whaaat
You can hear some snippets here:

http://sandbox.pair.com/abstract/greyalbum.html
Old 01-29-04, 07:43 PM
Suspended

sounds lame.
Old 01-30-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by j123vt_99
well, i'm not as excited for it to be released, after I heard those snippets
The ones with Mother Nature's Son and While My Guitar Gently Weeps samples sounded alright, but the Piggies one was like: WTF?
Old 01-30-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Album is pretty cool, I think. But I liked the "white Album" Remixed by Kno from Cunnlygiust(Sp?)
Old 01-30-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent remix album.

The Brown Album (remixed by Kev Brown)is OK
The Grey Album(remixed by Danger Mouse) is Excellent.
The White Albulum (remixed by Kno) is AMAZING.

THere is also another remix also by Kardinal that isnt' so hot.
Old 01-30-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And for what it's worth, The remix albums are already showing up on underground sites like Sandbox. all 3 remixes for $30
Old 02-02-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeah, this is on Kazaa. Snagged my copy over the weekend. I rather like it. Especially "Encore" and "99 Problems" (the latter reminds me how much "Helter Skelter" rawks).

I'll be picking it up when it comes out.

My question is when can we see similiar projects using the beats from Prince (The Black Album), Metallica (s/t album), or Spinal Tap (Smell the Glove)?
Old 02-03-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait for the Sex Farm remix.
Old 02-13-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is old news by now but I've had a busy week and little time to post. At any rate, god damn it.

I wonder what the other producers have done?

It was an ingenious idea, and one that played so dangerously close to the third rail of copyright law that it was sure to get shut down eventually.

Cease-and-desist orders went out last week to the producer who created The Grey Album and the few independent retail stores that were carrying the CD.

DJ/producer Danger Mouse married vocals from Jay-Z's recent The Black Album with beats made from the Beatles' classic The White Album to create The Grey Album. The "mash-up" CD is one of several bootlegs created using vocals from Jay-Z's supposedly final LP (see "Remixers Turn Jay-Z's Black Album Grey, White and Brown"). But it was the only one that dared to use music from the Beatles' guarded catalog.

A representative for EMI Records served the cease-and-desist orders to Danger Mouse and stores such as Fat Beats and hiphopsite.com. EMI Records controls the sound recordings for the Beatles on behalf of Capitol Records Inc. The publishing side of the Beatles' catalog is owned by Sony Music/ ATV Publishing, a venture between Sony Music and Michael Jackson.

Danger Mouse said he created The Grey Album strictly as a limited-edition promotional item (only 3,000 copies were pressed), but it quickly caught the ear of everyone from Damon Dash to the Neptunes to Jay-Z himself, and copies found their way to hip-hop retail outlets and auction sites like eBay.

Danger Mouse said he's complied with the order not to distribute any more copies of The Grey Album. Because of the small number pressed, he didn't expect any further legal action to take place.
Old 02-13-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This definitely sounds fascinating. I heard Change Clothes and it sounds very different.
Old 02-13-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still waiting for Cam'ron's "Pink Album" myself.
Old 02-14-04, 12:04 PM

The Grey Album didn't sound that great, but damn, the White Album by Kno is incredible. It took all the mediocre, skipable songs from the Black album (the majority of the cd) and made them all incredibly listenable.
Old 02-15-04, 05:47 AM

can someone list all the tracks and the songs they're mixed with?
Old 02-15-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DaJosha
can someone list all the tracks and the songs they're mixed with?
Jay-Z/Beatles

1. Public Service Announcement/Long Long Long
2. What More Can I Say/While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3. Encore/Glass Onion
4. December 4th/Mother Nature's Son
5. 99 Problems/Helter Skelter
6. Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Julia
7. Moment of Clarity/Happiness is a Warm Gun
8. Change Clothes/Piggies
9. Allure/Dear Prudence
10. Justify My Thug/Rocky Raccoon
11. Interlude/Revolution #9
12. My First Song/Cry Baby Cry
Old 02-16-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some tracks definitely work better than others (this mix of "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" is almost intolerable and headache inducing), but as far as the Black Album remixes go, it's hard to top this one in terms of sheer creative ambition. However, both the White Album (I know that it's actually titled The White Albulum, but I can't allow myself to say it like that) and 9th Wonder's (who originally produced one of the Black Album highlights
"The Threat") Black Album remix called "Black Is Back" are both, overall easier and more consistant, albeit less rewarding, listens.
Old 02-16-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really? "Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Julia" is my favorite track. Danger Mouse took "Julia" and made it his bitch, IMHO.
Old 02-16-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know...I like Dirt Off Your Shoulder and I like Julia but together and chopped up it sounded forced to me. To think about it, I haven't really liked any of the Dirt Off...remixes. None come close to topping the original, in my opinion at least. My favorite on there is Allure...the beat really meshes with Jay's flow.
Old 02-17-04, 11:05 PM

If you guys want a place to download all the tracks, they can be found here:

http://www.illegal-art.org/audio/grey.html

Hopefully it's okay to link to this, if not I'm sure someone will let me know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.