Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay scam artist--Please Help Newbie!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Criterion DVD of Rebecca on Ebay and paid via paypal on January 2. The guy had 20 of 20 feedback at this point (not tons I know, but it's my first purchase...). Anyways, I still hadn't seen it (and have been e-mailing him with no response since about the 14 day mark) so I go check his rating as of today. Of course his account is suspended and there are no less than 15 people saying they never received the item. I'm so mad, I can't belive my first ebay experience is one like this. Anyways, please help me figure out what to do?? Should I try to do a chargeback through paypal, or just dispute it directly with my credit card? It's a shame this happened, because stupidly I really did trust that stuff like this really didn't happen very often.
Old 01-29-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry that your first experience is such a bummer - and I hope it doesn't sour you on eBay.

I would suggest starting with Paypal. It should be clear to them from the turn of events that you've been ripped off. Good Luck!
Old 01-29-04, 10:00 AM

Hope this washes out for you. I have almost 100 transactions so far over 2 or so years, and only had a couple that went a little wonky. Had one lady not mail my item for 2 monthes, and lied every time about sending it (once it showed up it had a postmarked two days old). Suffice it to say, wont deal with her again.
But most people I have dealt with are cool and follow through quickly and courteously. Just watch those negative feedbacks on there.......know who you are dealing with first.
Old 01-29-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, try to get your money back.

Don't dispute it with your credit card unless you are prepared to abandon your paypal account.

What I would do would be to go through Paypal at this point to get your money back. However, you have to do that within 30 days of the date you paid, and you paid on January 2, so 30 days is up on Sunday (31 days in January). Do this today, tomorrow at the absolute latest.
Old 01-31-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Definately go through paypal first...though if the seller is suspended, they may have already hit the road, so paypal may not be able to get your money back...i had that happen once or twice...after 10 days paypal says they cant recover any funds...THEN file a chargeback with your CC....Paypal will suspend your account if you go around them first. Good luck!!
Old 01-31-04, 11:58 PM

Well judging by the number of complaints he has had, I would say it's 95% likely he doesn't have any money left in his account. Are credit card companies generally good at giving chargebacks in situations like this? Also, will paypal be okay with me going over their head if they were unable to refund me? Thanks again for the help everyone.
Old 02-01-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, paypal will be pissed that you go over their heads and will take the money from your account (if you have the money there), which is why I told you to be prepared to abandon your account if you do a chargeback through your credit card (and make sure your account is empty).

I told you to go through Paypal two days ago. Paypal states:

Check the date! All claims must be filed within 30 days of the transaction or the claim will be denied
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...plaint-outside

What is 30 days from the date of the transaction? If it is 30 days following the date, Sunday is the last day. If it is 30 days from the date, including that date, Saturday was the last day. File a claim Sunday and cross your fingers...
Old 02-03-04, 01:57 AM

I did file a claim through paypal several days ago...I'm just 95% sure the person that scammed me won't have any money left in his account, and thus I'm gonna be screwed. So I think if that happens then I'll have to dispute it with the credit card company. Man such a hassle....I guess that's why I should purchase my things from a retailer instead of some jackass from the Bronx.
Old 02-03-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Don't forget to file a Fraud Complaint with eBay also. You may be able to get some money back that way.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...rotection.html