DVD Talk
songs that sound different on the radio then on the album (not efc songs) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : songs that sound different on the radio then on the album (not efc songs)

Rypro 525
01-28-04, 09:17 PM
btw efc, is "edited for content")
third eye blind "semi charmed kind of life" the radio version cuts out a minute of the song
aerosmith "i don't want to miss a thing" supposingly when the song first hit rock stations (before pop got a hold of it) it was a harder rocking song and didn't have all of the strings that the current version has
chad kruger f/josey scott "hero" the rock version loses the strings (and pop radio stations pretended that josey scott didn't have a part)
evanesance "my imortal" it sounds like a complete new recording (anyone know where I can find an mp3 of this?

LivingINClip
01-28-04, 09:28 PM
Don't care for the new 'My Immortal' vocals are too quiet, in my opinion.

Not quite on topic, but I know that Depeche Mode's, "In your Room" sounds a lot different on their Singles album, than it did on "Songs of Faith, love and Devotion". I hate the Singles version.

Rypro 525
01-28-04, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by LivingINClip
Don't care for the new 'My Immortal' vocals are too quiet, in my opinion.
weren't they quiet on the cd?
and you are exactly on topic, thats what I mean.

LivingINClip
01-28-04, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
weren't they quiet on the cd?
and you are exactly on topic, thats what I mean.

I may be wrong, but to me, the one on the cd sounds less quiet the what is on the radio / in the music video. Like I said though, it may just be my ears playing tricks on me.

MJKTool
01-28-04, 09:40 PM
The Hollow - A Perfect Circle

Rypro 525
01-28-04, 09:41 PM
I may be wrong, but to me, the one on the cd sounds less quiet the what is on the radio / in the music video. Like I said though, it may just be my ears playing tricks on me. could be radio compression. all the volumes on radio have to be exactly the same. thats why when the opening cords of stairway to heaven start for instance, its louder on the radio then on the cd, its because of the compression issue.

LivingINClip
01-28-04, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
The Hollow - A Perfect Circle

How so?
As 'A Perfect Circle' fan, I have never heard The Hollow on the radio. So, what exactly is different about it?

MJKTool
01-29-04, 12:01 AM
How so?
As 'A Perfect Circle' fan, I have never heard The Hollow on the radio. So, what exactly is different about it?

Taken from http://www.aperfectcircle.net/ discography:

From what we understand, The Hollow was originally to be the second single released to radio from Mer De Noms. The decision was changed, and instead 3 Libras became the follow-up to Judith. However, the change of plans happened only after a limited run of The Hollow had slipped out to see release in Australia, featuring a live version of the track and the Judith Remix by Danny Lohner and Josh Eustis.
Following the radio release of 3 Libras, and shortly before the release of the 3 Libras CD single, The Hollow was more properly released, with a radio edit by Alan Moulder and solo versions from both Paz and Troy as b-sides for the various import versions. Unfortunately, neither The Hollow nor 3 Libras was ever properly released in the United States, aside from promo versions sent to radio stations.

I'd say the tempo is a tad bit faster & somewhat different in places on the radio edit. Also Maynard switches up the words on one of his lines. Very similar but definetly different. I actually prefer the radio edit version.

collven
01-29-04, 02:43 AM
The radio cut of "My Immortal" is definitely different. Of course, I've only heard the version from the DD soundtrack, so that may have something to do with it. I prefer the version from the soundtrack. It's just piano and strings. I don't think the song needs the Linkin Park-like guitar solo towards the end. It's like they were trying too hard to make it sound like their big hit, "Bring Me to Life".

DJLinus
01-29-04, 09:09 AM
A few of the radio singles off of Jewel's first album were re-recorded, I think.

Gdrlv
01-29-04, 11:11 AM
Moby's "South Side"

On the (original) album version...no Gwen Stefani. Adding Gwen to the song did little for it. In fact, it may have hurt it.

Rypro 525
01-29-04, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Gdrlv
Moby's "South Side"

On the (original) album version...no Gwen Stefani. Adding Gwen to the song did little for it. In fact, it may have hurt it. actually, I think the version on the album is with Gwen

Gdrlv
01-29-04, 11:50 AM
When Play was originally released, Gwen Stefani was not on the song. The album was re-released later, adding Gwen to capitalize on the success of her version of the song.

Achtung
01-29-04, 12:41 PM
Not a big hit, but "Please" by U2 was completely changed for the radio, with a guitar solo added, as well as strings.

Also Santana's song "Why Don't You and I" is sung by Chad Kroeger on the album, but is sung by Alex Band (The Calling) on the single version.

milo bloom
01-29-04, 02:47 PM
I love the Gwen Stefani version of Southside. That girl can't seem to do any song wrong in my book.

Now watch her release "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" or "American Pie" :rolleyes:

One that always sounds different to me is Loveshack by the B-52's. When they start the "Bang-bang-bang-on the door" lyrics, on the album there's initially another line of Fred singing "I can't hear you" much softer.
But the big thing with that song is the radio versions always seem slightly shorter. Almost like how PAL speedup does to movies. For the longest time I had a tape of stuff recorded off the radio with a version of Loveshack (that also had a neat horn intro that I'd like to find on CD), and when I got the actual album, I thought there was something wrong with it.

Rypro 525
01-29-04, 06:19 PM
also, I believe on pop radio stations, 4 or 5 minutes of "money for nothing" is cut. They cut the "extended" ending, as well as the "little f**ott" verse as well.

Mondo Kane
01-29-04, 06:45 PM
"All I need" by Method Man and Mary J. Blige.
The song won a freakin' grammy but the version that everyone's familar with sounded totally different on the album. Not only was Mary J not included, but it has this awful industrial-type beat.

And R.Kelly is known to have about 5 remixes for his biggest hits.

"Bump'n'Grind" sounded worse on the album than it did on the radio/video. Another remix was made that had the "rodeo" lyrics (I actually kinda liked that one)

And then he did it again with "Down Low". The radio version was the best which had the electric-guitar interlude. But of course, there were no guitars heard in the album version. And to top it off, he made yet another remix to the song with different lyrics and a different melody. Thankfully, I stopped being a fan of his in '96.

joefrog91
01-29-04, 09:30 PM
The POE song "Hello" was different on the radio from the one on the album, but it was available on the single.

Gcomeau
01-30-04, 05:17 PM
New Year's Day by U2 always sounds different on the radio. It's cut differently or something. Anyone know why?

MJKTool
01-30-04, 06:23 PM
speaking of U2, I know there are two versions of "Elevation".

Josh-da-man
01-30-04, 08:39 PM
An oldie, but Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" had a different radio version than the one that appeared on their "Whitesnake" album.

The song was popularized from their self-titled album in 1986/87, but the song first appeared in a different form on one of their older albums, "Saints and Sinners," I think.

collven
01-30-04, 09:56 PM
Moby's "South Side"

On the (original) album version...no Gwen Stefani. Adding Gwen to the song did little for it. In fact, it may have hurt it.

Actually, I saw an interview with Moby on one of the music channels not long after the video was released. Apparently, he and Gwen recorded the song together, but it was mixed incorrectly. He said he was "horrified" when he heard the final mix, but it was too late to fix it. When they asked Gwen about it, she said she was afraid that she had done something to piss Moby off or something, but it was fixed for the single and video.

csim
01-31-04, 01:51 AM
For the reply for the my Immortal video, it was not evanesence fault for the change it was the recorded company. They tried to fight the record company, but the recorded company did not give up. So they ended up useing the demo verson of My Immortal instead of the verson that was on the CD. Thats record companys for you all about the all mighty dollar. I guess they want they two be LP with the two singles that they put out, but if you listen to their CD all the other songs sound no way like LP.

Ergyu
01-31-04, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by csim
For the reply for the my Immortal video, it was not evanesence fault for the change it was the recorded company. They tried to fight the record company, but the recorded company did not give up. So they ended up useing the demo verson of My Immortal instead of the verson that was on the CD. Thats record companys for you all about the all mighty dollar. I guess they want they two be LP with the two singles that they put out, but if you listen to their CD all the other songs sound no way like LP.

huh?

Rypro 525
01-31-04, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Ergyu
huh? I think he was trying to say that the record company wanted the version with the guitars and drums at the end as the album version, but the band wanted the original, so the video and radio version are actually the demo version.

csim
01-31-04, 02:38 PM
yep

collven
02-01-04, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by csim

Actually, that's backwards. The album version is the demo version. The record company wanted to use it for the video, but the band insisted on the new recording. They were very unhappy with the album version, since it was recorded very cheaply and had some errors in it.

Here (http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1480210/20031105/evanescence.jhtml?headlines=true) is the article. I actually found this in one of the other Evanescence threads on this forum.

Spaceknight
02-01-04, 08:04 AM
I actually prefer the version of My Immortal from Origin to either of the others. (yes, Origin, that other Evanescence album that no one knows about.) Basically, the Origin version is the same as the Daredevil / Fallen version, but without the extra strings. It's just piano and voices, and comes across a lot more emotional. and you can actually hear the harmony in the vocals. I thought as a whole Fallen was grossly overproduced compared to Origin.

The second version of U2 Elevation is from the Tomb Raider soundtrack. That's the version used in the video.
Speaking of U2, my personal pick for biggest difference in radio versions is Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. The radio version is the "Temple Bar Edit", available on the single, and is VERY different than the album. That's the version with the acoustic guitar instead of all the keyboards.

I thought the 3rd Eye Blind radio version was edited because of the content of that other verse. (sex and drugs on the radio are frowned upon when it's explicit - you can get away with it in the other verses if no one knows what you're singing about.)

Lightning Crashes by Live is often missing the first verse on the radio.

Counting Crows added Vanessa Carlton to the single version of Big Yellow Taxi, but she's missing from the bonus track on Hard Candy. Which begs the question: does it really count as performing *with* someone if all you do is dub some "do-do-do"s over their existing song? ah, who cares, go find the better version of that song by Pinhead Gunpoweder.

Pink Floyd has an edited version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. On the album, it's in 2 tracks as parts 1-5 and 6-10. The other version assembles something like 2-4 and 6-7 into one song. It's similar in structure to the live version on Delicate Sound of Thunder. of course, it's still over 7 minutes long, so you rarely hear it on the radio.

I swear that Breathless by The Corrs sounded different on the radio. could just be the mix. anyone know for sure if there's 2 cuts?

Rypro 525
02-07-04, 05:25 PM
I thought the 3rd Eye Blind radio version was edited because of the content of that other verse. (sex and drugs on the radio are frowned upon when it's explicit - you can get away with it in the other verses if no one knows what you're singing about.)

thats the mtv version thats edited.

oh and anyone notice that "i believe in a thing called love" is pitched higher on some radio verisons and the video version.

DonnachaOne
02-07-04, 05:42 PM
oh and anyone notice that "i believe in a thing called love" is pitched higher on some radio verisons and the video version.

Well, because of his high-pitched voice, it's easier to tell if it's sped-up or not. More radio stations have been speeding up songs to get more advertising time, and the video may have come form a PAL master that was sped up for NTSC televisons (This also happened with Kylie's "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" and The Cardigans' "Lovefool", I believe).

Rypro 525
02-07-04, 09:26 PM
oh and question, do all pal to ntsc trasfers sound that high? (yes, i know the singer can really hit the high notes but the pitch is too high)

Rypro 525
05-10-04, 10:07 PM
listening to "here without you" by 3 doors down on 98 rock, and it sounds more of a rock version of the song. the guitars in this version seem more active, and the drum portion starts as soon as the first verse starts, while on the album version, the drums start at around the chorus.

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 10:32 AM
To clear up the My Immortal stuff:

They were working on "Fallen" the same time that Wind-Up Records (Their label) was assembling the Daredevil soundtrack. They heard their demo of "My Immortal" and decided to put it on the DD soundtrack. Evanescence later finished the song and put it on Fallen, and wanted that finished version to be on DD soundtrack, but the label decided to stick with the demo version against their wishes.

Later on while touring, they decided to make My Immortal more interesting live by the whole band come in towards the end. When it was time for a 3rd single off the album ("Going Under" was the second single), the label wanted to release "My Immortal". The band decided to back into the studio and re-recorded the entire song from scratch, in the same style as the live version they had been playing.

By the way, they have a fourth single out now called "Everybody's Fool".

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 10:33 AM
Yea Rypro, the promo cd single of "Here Without You" released to radio stations had 2 tracks: Track1 is a "radio edit" (which sounds exactly like the album version to my ears), and track 2 is called the "Rock Remix" and is just as you describe. I like it alot.

Speaking of 3 Doors Down, the promo single of "Away from the Sun" (4th single from their new album) has two versions: Album Version and "Alternate Mix". The Alternate Mix adds strings and shuffles a few things around I believe.. I have never heard it on the radio though.

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 10:36 AM
Creed's "With Arms Wide Open" was also re-recorded for the radio version I believe.

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 10:38 AM
Oh, and Pearl Jam re-recorded "Evenflow" when they got a new drummer, and that became the video & radio version. Nowadays many stations will just play Evenflow off the album, but you'll know the radio version if you hear it because at the end Vedder goes something like "I died, I died, I died and you weren't there" or something like that.

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 10:41 AM
Oh I just thought of another one: The two singles from Our Lady Peace's most recent album "Gravity", "Somewhere Out There" and "Innocent", had "rock remixes" on their promo singles released to radio stations... SOT replaced the strings with more guitars, and I've never heard the rock remix of Innocent.

Rypro 525
05-11-04, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Ted The Bug
Yea Rypro, the promo cd single of "Here Without You" released to radio stations had 2 tracks: Track1 is a "radio edit" (which sounds exactly like the album version to my ears), and track 2 is called the "Rock Remix" and is just as you describe. I like it alot.
do you have a copy of this? i actually liked the rock version better.

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 12:10 PM
Yea I have mp3s of the rock remix of Here Without You and the alernate mix of Away From The Sun... How would I get them to you?

Rypro 525
05-11-04, 12:15 PM
hm give me the site where you got it from via email.

Drexl
05-11-04, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
An oldie, but Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" had a different radio version than the one that appeared on their "Whitesnake" album.

The song was popularized from their self-titled album in 1986/87, but the song first appeared in a different form on one of their older albums, "Saints and Sinners," I think.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread. I don't know what it's like on the older album, but on their self-titled one it started with just keyboards or something, and the drums and guitars didn't kick in until the first chorus. On the radio version (which was inferior IMHO), the song started with the beat.

Ted The Bug
05-11-04, 03:41 PM
hm give me the site where you got it from via email.

I got them from IRC

Gunshy
05-12-04, 08:34 PM
My 2 cents, I remember hearing Luscious Jackson's "Naked Eye" song on the radio and liking it. Blew the green on the CD and lo the radio ver wasn't there. I shoulda known. Turns out the radio (remix) version was kind of hard to find. My dislike of music promotion, pop radio, RIAA got a big boost that day :(

-Gunshy

Rypro 525
07-21-04, 11:02 PM
also, i belive christina aguliera changed "all i want is you" for raido and video by adding a rap, and some of the lyrics. (i am actually looking for that version for the gf.

Abranut
07-21-04, 11:57 PM
G N' R - November Rain...or is it? I haven't heard it on the radio for awhile.

Rypro 525
07-22-04, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Abranut
G N' R - November Rain...or is it? I haven't heard it on the radio for awhile. the radio version (at least the one that plays here) is still 9 minutes.

gnradd21
07-22-04, 02:59 PM
I've heard a shortened version of Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine" on the radio, with some of Slash's solos cut. I've also seen a few different versions of the video, including one with a lot of black and white footage that's longer than the one I used to see on MTV.

Rivero
07-22-04, 04:25 PM
Moby's "South Side"

It's still practically the same exact song.

Rivero
07-22-04, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
speaking of U2, I know there are two versions of "Elevation".

Different versions of numerous U2 songs, especially from the POP era. I liked the radio version of "Last Night on Earth". Better than on the cd.

Amel
07-22-04, 06:27 PM
Moby's "South Side"

pfft! Blasphemer! ;)
you should listen to milo:
I love the Gwen Stefani version of Southside. That girl can't seem to do any song wrong in my book.
:up:

yes. G'nR's "Sweet Child" was cut to shreds for radio. That's the first time I can remember noticing that this kind of thing happens.

The only time I can think of where I think the radio version is much better was Aaliyah's "The One I Gave My Heart To". The vocal track was re-recorded and it's much more soulful and emotional - you could just feel her pain. It's still only time I bought a cd single.

Rypro 525
07-22-04, 10:24 PM
i guess they play the album version of sweet child now right? since its around 5 or 6 minutes

Drexl
07-22-04, 10:51 PM
i guess they play the album version of sweet child now right? since its around 5 or 6 minutes

It would probably depend on what kind of station it is. If it's an "album rock" station they would play the longer album version, but a pop station would be likely to play the radio edit (if they would even play it at all).

Speaking of radio edits, there are probably tons of examples of these, where they cut a guitar solo short or fade out a song early or whatever. These would probably fall into the category of edited for content-time being the content.

darqleo
07-24-04, 10:46 PM
Just got Auf De Maur's CD and her song "Followed The Waves" is different than what they play on the radio. The radio version is like a "pop song" edit. I like the album version better, it's more 70's album rock-ish.

DRG
07-25-04, 02:36 AM
A few off the top of my head...

ZZ Top "Legs"
The video version had the extra synth buildup behind it. The album version doesn't... it sounds a bit flatter IMO but others find it more pure. I think their Greatest Hits album (well one of them, at least) has the video version.

George Michael "Monkey"
Video version is some sort of remix.

Michael Jackson "Black or White"
The opening spoken part in the video is done by Macauley Calkin and George Wendt, on the album it's done by some other actors.

Paula Abdul "Opposites Attract"
Album version doesn't have the MC Skat Kat rap that appears in the video.

Wreckx-N-Effect "Rump Shaker"
The radio/video version is a remix, with a little extra "chime"-type sound. The album version isn't as good.

Rypro 525
07-30-04, 01:54 PM
just heard on mix 1065, a different version of the song "meant to live" by switchfoot (its still constered a brand new song even though the new single just came out, and its been played to death on all other stations.) this version increases the accoustic guitar, and has a slower less rock pace.

FatTony
07-31-04, 01:02 AM
Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity: The radio/video edit loses an entire minute-long jam in the middle of the song.

Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get Retarded: This song was completely retooled and re-recorded as Let's Get It Started with different lyrics and is even more overproduced than the album version.

NitroJMS
08-02-04, 01:21 PM
Britney Spears - "Boys" and "Overprotected" were completely different mixes for the singles. For "Born to Make You Happy," she completely re-recorded the song in "rock mix" for the European market.

nightwing82
08-02-04, 08:37 PM
Just a side note that radio often speeds up the songs when they play them. I have a plugin for winamp that can speed the songs up, and us that often when a song sounds different than radio -- pump it up to about 6% faster and hey! that is what is on the radio.

For example, Im sorry, I apologize, but I like that Ashley Simpson song "Pieces of Me". On my radio station they play it 6% faster than the album and single version.

Originally posted by DRG
Paula Abdul "Opposites Attract"
Album version doesn't have the MC Skat Kat rap that appears in the video.

"Cold Hearted", the single version, also contains Paula rapping, which isn't on the album.

Rypro 525
08-03-04, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by NitroJMS
Britney Spears - "Boys" and "Overprotected" were completely different mixes for the singles. For "Born to Make You Happy," she completely re-recorded the song in "rock mix" for the European market. "Boys" i know was redone for the third austin powers movie.