Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend This Band? (ed. 1)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an idea for a thread: post a band that you are curious about but don't feel like dropping $12-$17 on cos you know that killed the cat.

Also, post the reason why you are interested in the band. Labelmates? Producers? Hear they opened for yr favorite band? Side project?

Make it a rule that you should at least TRY to recommend a record or a band before you flood this with yr own picks. It'll becoming annoying quick if all we do is ask about bands w/ a few answers. If we run into a brick wall on a rec, then we'll move on.

Be Good Tanyas
Jolie Holland's Catalpa was one of my favorite rekkids last year and I not-so-long-ago found out that she is originally from the San Fran-based Be Good Tanyas. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about the band but figure that if it is anything remotely similar to the gold-dusted Catalpa it'll be well worth my time. Any takers?
Old 01-28-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sparta - I know it's from part of the guy's from 'At the Drive In', which I thought was merely okay, but I also love 'The Mars Volta', which is the other half of 'At the Drive In'. Is it more of 'At the Drive In' or is a 'The Mars Volta' vibe? Maybe neither?

I'd answer your question, but I've never heard of the band. Sorry.
Old 01-28-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Recommend This Band? (ed. 1)

Originally posted by fallow

Be Good Tanyas
Jolie Holland's Catalpa was one of my favorite rekkids last year and I not-so-long-ago found out that she is originally from the San Fran-based Be Good Tanyas. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about the band but figure that if it is anything remotely similar to the gold-dusted Catalpa it'll be well worth my time. Any takers?
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
hope that would help
Old 01-28-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Recommend This Band? (ed. 1)

Originally posted by Rypro 525
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll
hope that would help
Well, I KNOW I could check allmusic or slsk, but half the fun of this is talking to the other forum users. We could really bond over this guys & gals...

As for Sparta, it seems that the intelligence of ATDI went to the Mars Volta (who I personally can't stand) and the rawk of ATDI went to Sparta. Very straight-forward, punchy and accessible guitar rock. I haven't listened to their album in awhile so I can't make any clear refs, but "Cataracts" was the only song that really "hit" me -- and that wasn't like anything else on the disc, really.
Old 01-28-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the help. I apperciate it. I can see how someone would not enjoy Mars Volta - it took me a couple listens to really dig them, but I do. Hate to say it, but I'm almost inspired by them, as I often write poetry and I had quit for awhile. Now I have an urge to do it again. Very odd. However, back on topic, from what you say, it sounds like Sparta wouldn't be my cup of tea.