Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Land of Destiny (Dir. John Woo, Nic Cage, Chow Yun Fat)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Woo will direct 'Land of Destiny' starring Chow Yun Fat and Nicolas Cage. The plot outline...

"Arriving in 19th century San Francisco with his wife, Chinese immigrant Gun-Li (Chow Yun-Fat) soon realizes that they have been sold into slavery to work on the railroads, so he sets out to exact vengeance for this misdeed, teaming up with an Irish worker (Cage) caught in a similar situation."

Sounds interesting enough for me. Good to see Cage and Woo back in action together (Face/Off, Windtalkers) and of course the Woo and Chow Yun Fat connection is an action movie fan's wet dream.

Other things on these guys plates this year...

CYF:
Hua Mulan w/ Michelle Yeoh, directed by Peter Pau (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), plot unknown...

Cage:
National Treasure w/ Harvey Keitel, Sean Bean, Justin Bartha directed by John Turteltaub (3 Ninjas, Cool Runnings...yikes!)
Plot - Benjamin Franklin Gates descends from a family of treasure-seekers who've all hunted for the same thing: a war chest hidden by the Founding Fathers after the Revolutionary War. Ben's close to discovering its whereabouts, as is his competition, but the FBI is also hip to the hunt.

The Weather Man w/ Michael Caine, directed by Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Carribean)
Plot - A weather man who lives with his wife and kids in Chicago must deal with problems which arise from wanting to move to New York.

Ghostrider w/ Jon Voight, directed by Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil)
Plot - This is the story of motorcycle stunt performer, Johnny Blaze (Cage), who agrees to become the host of a "spirit of vengeance" in exchange for the safety of his true love, but the price he pays is to be cursed with the avenging spirit that takes its form at night as a demon with a flaming skull on a motorcycle of hellfire...
Old 01-27-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hasnt this been talked about for several years now? I wonder what ever happend to the Woo/Tarantino script? You think someone would have jumped on that in an instant.
Old 01-27-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woo with Cage? Hey, they work well together...
Woo with Yun-Fat? Hey, they work well together...

Of course, this could be "Windtalkers crossed with Once A Thief"- level badness!

I look forward to it, though.

Especially the bit where Chow and Cage, on the run from the bad guys, break open a railroad carriage to reveal a new invention - MOTORBIKES, which they then ride on top of the train, through a flock of doves.

I kid. I'm psyched about this one.
Old 01-27-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Can't wait... love John Woo and i have yet to see a movie of his that i dislike. Windtalkers and Paycheck were nothing special, but still entertaining. Throw in Cage and Chow Yun Fat, and i'm excited
Old 01-28-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
So it this more like Once Upon a Time in China and America?

Old 01-28-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I have to be wary. Sure JOhn Woo with CYFat sounds like a great thing, but Woo has just been bad in his american career, and this 19th century setting doesn't really lend it self to wild operatic shootouts. Or does it? No automatic weapons at least.

I'm hoping...he's a great action director.
Old 01-28-04, 04:58 PM

Sorry guys, but this plot summary is false. It is for a completely different immigrant railroad worker movie that Chow Yun-Fat was going to do before. It was an action movie and supposedly quite kick ass as the story had a corrupt railroad company sending bigger & badder assassins after CYF and him killing them all. There was a review of it on AICN years ago. I believe it was called The Line.

However, Woo came calling with Land of Destiny and of course Chow joined his old friend, so that left The Line hanging in the wind. Land of Destiny is NOT an action movie, but a straight up epic drama.

The last interview I saw with Woo (it was recent.. after Paycheck) he said Land of Destiny was delayed. Has that changed?

Last edited by John Spartan; 01-28-04 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 06:10 PM
Banned

John Woo is a god! I see everything he makes...I've been waiting for this movie forever!