DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rules of the Game

Old 01-27-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rules of the Game

I finally got my copy yesterday and promptly put it in. This was a blind buy purchase for me so I didn't know what to expect besides the fact that I know it is a widely respected film. I was completely disarmed by what I saw. I alternated feeling sympathetic, disgusted and completely entertained. This movie is totally out of control. I definitely need to watch it again as I'm sure I missed some things due to the large ensemble cast and the rapid fire dialogue.

The picture quality is stunning considering the history of the film and it's age. The soundtrack was also very good and I only noticed one instance of slight dialogue drop out. I haven't had time to work my way through all the supplements but there there is a nice 6 minute clip of Renior himself discussing the film that is very good. The DVD is packed with stuff and I look forward to digesting them. The BBC documentary looks particularly interesting.

The packaging is very attactive with a blue plastic transparant slip cover over a 4-panel folding digipak (I think this is what it is called). There is a nice booklet too, I think it 24 pages long. I haven't really delved into that yet.

If you are on the fence about this one, don't hesitate. It is a great movie in a great package.

Last edited by chente; 01-27-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought this as a blind buy, too. This is one of the few films to be on every Sight and Sound Critics' Top Ten lists since they began their poll back in 1952. It's the French Citizen Kane.

The film was much less dated and much more entertaining than I would have thought. Renoir's social critisicm is every bit as effective today as it was then.

Here's a film that was way ahead of its time, and still is in some ways.

Criterion has given LAVISH attention to every aspect of their presentation on DVD. As was mentioned above, the picture and sound quality is superb, and the supplements really dig into the depths of the film, its director, reception, etc.

Just a wonderful set.

I expect this to be on many people's top ten DVDs of all time list next year.
Old 01-28-04, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I saw this once about twenty years ago on a local PBS television station and have never forgotten about it. I have always wanted to see it again. Thanks.
Old 03-14-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just rented this one from netflix. What a great film. Nothing so enjoyable that one would want to watch it over and over again (though some might), but I'm glad I got to see it. Considering this movie was made in 1939 it looked great. Thumbs up to Criterion on the transfer.

The film shows us a world of cruelty and betrayal hidden behind it's polite and civilised facade. The satire on aristocratic society of the time was very entertaining and funny at times. These are supposed to be the people who set an axample for the rest of us, yet are so detached from everyday reality and morality.

This was a first Jean Renoir film I saw, but will definitely seek out others.
Old 03-14-04, 10:56 PM

Blind buy for me too.. My best blind buy.

A timeless film.