Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Lakers - The Sucktitude They Bring - Part III

El Scorcho
01-27-04, 11:08 AM
I've been waiting for this moment.

Part II closes. No Laker fan is around to create Part III. Thus, I get to do it. :D

This thread is about the sucktitude that the LA Lakers bring to the table night in and night out. If you happen to be a Laker fan, or one of the notorious Laker circle-jerkers, you're welcome here too!

Topics in this thread could include -- "How can a sore calf keep Shaq out for half the season?"

Or even:

"Who would win in a fight between Phil Jackson and Ditka?"

The possibilities are endless!

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 10:30 PM
end of 2...

Lakers lead 54-46.

Fox threw up a couple of bricks, but it was still fun to watch him shoot. He made a couple free throws, too.

Kobe trying some acrobatic shots, missing them.

Grant looking good, getting the boards, and making a few jumpers. George is hitting his shots, too. Fisher still can't make a layup to save his life.

Sonics shoot more 3's then any team in the NBA (they also make more then any team) so this game is far from over.

See you after 3 :D

Gallant Pig
01-28-04, 10:42 PM
Did Kobe make any spectacular backdoor passes?

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Did Kobe make any spectacular backdoor passes?

He tried to. Both Laker turnovers were on Kobe's bad passes. He did have 12 pts to lead the Lakers in the first half, along with 2 boards, and 2 assists.

EDIT: I just realized you might have been making a Kobe joke :lol:

Gallant Pig
01-28-04, 10:45 PM
Seems like those backdoor passes always get him in trouble.

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 10:47 PM
Seems like those backdoor passes always get him in trouble.

Original material, please Mr. Hater :D

Gallant Pig
01-28-04, 10:48 PM
Hey I just thought it up! I swear! Did El Scorcho already use that bit? Damnit.

El Scorcho
01-28-04, 11:02 PM
Not only have I used it, I've beat it to death!

El Scorcho
01-28-04, 11:03 PM
Is there a reason the Lakers aren't blowing the Sonics out? 3 hall-of-famers plus two scrubs starting against Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, and three no-namers. At home no less.

LA sucks.

:)

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 11:03 PM
Hey I just thought it up! I swear! Did El Scorcho already use that bit? Damnit.

El Scorcho wrote the book on Kobe jokes.

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by El Scorcho
Is there a reason the Lakers aren't blowing the Sonics out? 3 hall-of-famers plus two scrubs starting against Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, and three no-namers. At home no less.

LA sucks.

Well they were up by 13 earlier....Seattle is a good shooting team, they're not scrubs.

Btw, tie game 65-65

SleepyW
01-28-04, 11:05 PM
I think he's just recycling old Mike Tyson jokes. I'm not impressed.

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by SleepyW
I think he's just recycling old Mike Tyson jokes. I'm not impressed.

rotfl

SleepyW
01-28-04, 11:15 PM
Ray Allen 1 board away from a triple double....maybe they should put somebody on that guy.

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 11:17 PM
Ray Allen 1 board away from a triple double....maybe they should put somebody on that guy.

Lewis, too. Ray Allen is a great player, though.

SleepyW
01-28-04, 11:22 PM
Sonics falling apart - every Laker that's played has scored - good balance with Shaq and Fox not making too much of a contribution in their first games back.

SleepyW
01-28-04, 11:25 PM
Lakers on a 12-0 run with Walton, Russell, Fisher, Grant, and Rush in the game. How embarrassing for Seattle.

SleepyW
01-28-04, 11:32 PM
Other than their usual 3rd quarter collapse, they didn't seem to do too bad. With a 14 point lead and 3:30 to go, I'd say the butter's gettin' hard and the Jell-O's jigglin'.

Should be much better when Fox and Shaq get back on their games.

nickdawgy
01-28-04, 11:38 PM
Game over, Lakers win 96-82 :D

Blake
01-29-04, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Shaq's game consists of intimidation and power. Kobe may have only missed six games, but his shoulder was hurting big time. You just have to realize at some point that arguing with El Scorcho is pointless. He's always going to think Shaq sucks and abuses the position. He's always going to think the Lakers suck. And for some reason, he'll always be a Jailblazers fan ;)

Good game by the Lakers tonight, but still a long way to go.

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 12:47 AM
Yeah Blake's pretty much got it covered.

:lol:

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 12:56 AM

Investigators are talking to a woman in Portland that Kobe banged the hell out of while he was in town to play the Blazers. And go figure, she's an employee at the hotel. :lol:

This happened back in April apparently.

Blake
01-29-04, 01:11 AM
Sure it did....:rolleyes:

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 01:22 AM
Reports are that this girl in Portland is a reputable employee of the most lavish hotel in Portland. She's not saying any rape involved, but that she and Bryant did do some things that she (being in a relationship) and he (being married) weren't supposed to be doing.

Tsk tsk. :)

It's actually a big deal if it's proven true and is admissable in court in Bryant's rape trial. Brings his image and cred down a few notches.

damn_skippy
01-29-04, 01:53 AM
Big deal, He already said he screwed around. Was this after the alleged rape or before?

movielib
01-29-04, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by damn_skippy
Big deal, He already said he screwed around. Was this after the alleged rape or before?
April would be before.

movielib
01-29-04, 08:49 AM
Reports are that this girl in Portland is a reputable employee of the most lavish hotel in Portland. She's not saying any rape involved, but that she and Bryant did do some things that she (being in a relationship) and he (being married) weren't supposed to be doing.

Tsk tsk. :)

It's actually a big deal if it's proven true and is admissable in court in Bryant's rape trial. Brings his image and cred down a few notches.
Image yes, a little, but I'm not so sure about credibility since there is no accusation of force. It may even help his case to show there's a pattern of cheating but no evidence of a pattern of rape.

movielib
01-29-04, 09:44 AM

Investigators are talking to a woman in Portland that Kobe banged the hell out of while he was in town to play the Blazers. And go figure, she's an employee at the hotel. :lol:

This happened back in April apparently.
Scorchy, looks like you got the story a little wrong.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/16899.htm
January 29, 2004 -- LOS ANGELES - An Oregon hotel worker reportedly has told Colorado authorities she had a fling with Kobe Bryant, feeding a prosecution theory that the embattled hoops star trolls hotels for sex.

The Portland woman met Bryant last April, and he asked her to deliver food to his room - where they had a consensual sexual encounter that stopped just short of intercourse, said the TV show "Celebrity Justice," citing unidentified sources.

But even if prosecutors can show Bryant is a habitual cheat, the woman could just as easily help him - because she says he was "a perfect gentleman" when she said no to intercourse.

Los Angeles defense lawyer Ronald Richards said such a witness might produce a zero gain for prosecutors and defense lawyers.

"I don't even know if the defense will be able to get this in - a prior act of good conduct," he said.

New York defense lawyer and former prosecutor Paul Callan said neither side would probably be able to call the woman.

"If he [Bryant] had a unique pattern, a unique m.o., yes. But as far as garden-variety picking up babes in a hotel, I don't think either sides gets it in," he said.

Bryant is accused of raping a 19-year-old hotel worker in Eagle County, Colo., last summer.
The sex stopped short of intercourse so Kobe didn't "bang the hell" out of her. According to the woman, she said no to intercourse and Kobe was a "perfect gentleman."

The line between cheating and raping is a big one and this act (if it occurred) is hardly evidence against him in the rape case.

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 11:15 AM
Ok, sorry for the misinformation, I was typing it up as I was listening to the local news. I coulda swore I heard our news anchor say "he banged the hell out of her". No really. :lol:

Thanks for the link. It's good to know that your darling basketball player is a complete gentleman when he's screwing around on his wife. A good guy, that Kobe Bryant. :lol:

damn_skippy
01-29-04, 11:20 AM
Kobe is an idiot.

devilshalo
01-29-04, 11:37 AM
I guess Vanessa is going to be sizing rings again soon. :lol:

MJKTool
01-29-04, 12:40 PM
Kobe is an idiot.

yup. still love him as a bball player though.

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 01:09 PM
That's strange. You gave me a hard time for liking Rasheed Wallace for the exact same reasons. ;)

MJKTool
01-29-04, 01:32 PM
That's strange. You gave me a hard time for liking Rasheed Wallace for the exact same reasons. ;)

I don't remember that, but if I did it was only to bust your chops like you do with us all the time -wink-

But there is a difference between the two. Rasheed is a shithead on the court as well....Kobe is not :)

Josh H
01-29-04, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by movielib

The line between cheating and raping is a big one and this act (if it occurred) is hardly evidence against him in the rape case.

Definitely.

But the fact he's now a habitual cheater apparently puts him futher down the "worthless piece of shit" scale for me.

But that said, I still haven't seen enough clear evidence to call him a rapist.

movielib
01-29-04, 02:37 PM
Ok, sorry for the misinformation, I was typing it up as I was listening to the local news. I coulda swore I heard our news anchor say "he banged the hell out of her". No really. :lol:

Thanks for the link. It's good to know that your darling basketball player is a complete gentleman when he's screwing around on his wife. A good guy, that Kobe Bryant. :lol:
I didn't say he was a good guy. But I don't think he's a rapist. There are lots of rotten things a person can do without breaking a law or deserving to be sent to prison.

~~ PAL ~~
01-29-04, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by devilshalo
I guess Vanessa is going to be sizing rings again soon. :lol:

I'm sure she' going to get another butt-ugly 10-karat ring from the same designer, but maybe it'll be yellow instead of purple diamond this time. :lol:

devilshalo
01-29-04, 05:08 PM
Malone furious about mock phone call during Jazz game

January 29, 2004
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Karl Malone was offended by a mock phone call that made fun of him and teammate Kobe Bryant during a timeout of the Lakers' game at Utah last week.

``For them to put that out there about him, that's disrespectful,'' Malone said. ``I will never, ever forgive them for this. No class at all.''

Malone, who played 18 seasons with the Jazz, did not attend the game last Saturday because of a knee injury. It was supposed to be his first game as an opponent in Utah.

During a stoppage, Jazz mascot ``Bear'' answered a fake call that was broadcast over the loudspeakers. The caller imitated Malone's voice and identified himself as ``Mail,'' saying he wanted to come ``home,'' L.A. fans were ``mean'' to him and the Lakers don't pass him the ball.

The call ended with the imitator saying, ``I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko...,'' stopping short of saying Kobe.

Bryant had spent the previous day in Colorado, where he's facing a trial on a sexual assault charge.

``That kind of stuff there is like pathetic. If an athlete would have did that, we'd have been talking about it for the rest of the year on SportsCenter,'' Malone said before the Lakers' home game against Seattle on Wednesday.

Later in the game, Jazz owner Larry Miller was handed a cell phone for a second call from the fake Malone and was cheered when he promptly hung up.

Miller did not immediately return a message seeking comment Thursday.

Malone said he had no problem with the Jazz poking fun at him, but the Bryant reference was in poor taste.

``I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that. That little skit they did, it'll cost them. I guarantee you,'' Malone said.
I can't wait for March 8th :D

db27
01-29-04, 05:11 PM
I hope Malone lays the smack down on Utah on the 8th, should be a fun game!!!

Very poor taste from Utah, bunch of idiots.

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 05:22 PM
When did Malone turn into such a whiney bitch?

devilshalo
01-29-04, 05:29 PM

As I recall, hasn't he always been one?

SleepyW
01-29-04, 06:31 PM
Who woulda thought Kobe cheating on his wife (again) could actually HELP his rape case? What a world, what a world.

Methinks The Scorch has been watching Naked News on Playboy if the anchor said someone "banged the hell" out of someone else. Not that I blame him...what else is there to do in Portland?

El Scorcho
01-29-04, 07:37 PM
I was going to post a meaner comment, but I'm just going to assume that you're just screwing with me by implying that you took me seriously with the "bang the hell" comment. :)

MJKTool
01-29-04, 07:41 PM

You really dont agree with him? Thats a very, very low class thing to do for an NBA organization.

Does anyone know when the next Utah game is? Time for some ass kicking!

devilshalo
01-29-04, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
You really dont agree with him? Thats a very, very low class thing to do for an NBA organization.

Does anyone know when the next Utah game is? Time for some ass kicking!

March 8th @ Utah. March 28 @ Home.

SleepyW
01-29-04, 09:37 PM
I was going to post a meaner comment, but I'm just going to assume that you're just screwing with me by implying that you took me seriously with the "bang the hell" comment. :)

If I have to explain it, it's just not as funny.

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 01:47 AM
speaking of explaining -
could someone explain what exactly was so classless about the Jazz skit?
Seemed damned inoffensive to me. :confused:

Malone saying it was classless and offensive doesn't make it so.

damn_skippy
01-30-04, 01:53 AM
He was referring to them using his teammate in the joke.

``I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko...,''

He is just playing the good teammate role.

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 02:17 AM
No, he's playing the 'wronged' whiny bitch role.

This is an almost 40 year old black man who's been in sports nearly his whole life.
And you're telling me he thinks THAT's classless?
``I guarantee you, I'll have the last say on this. You can print that. That little skit they did, it'll cost them. I guarantee you,'' Malone said.
"I will never, ever forgive them for this."The report omitted the next sentence, where Malone called them all big meany-heads. :D

What an idiot.

fumanstan
01-30-04, 03:23 AM
Sounded classless to me.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by reapersaurus
No, he's playing the 'wronged' whiny bitch role.

This is an almost 40 year old black man who's been in sports nearly his whole life.
And you're telling me he thinks THAT's classless?
The report omitted the next sentence, where Malone called them all big meany-heads. :D

What an idiot.

Yeah, I mean it's like when Shaq was mad about the Kings fans writing insults and slang all over the ball he scored his 20,000th point with. What an idiot.

-rolleyes-

reapersaurus, and his posts crack me up. Typical Kings fan.

movielib
01-30-04, 11:01 AM
Malone said he had no problem with the Jazz poking fun at him, but the Bryant reference was in poor taste.

This is exactly why Malone showed class in his reaction.

He wasn't whining about the remaks about him; I think he would have simply had a good laugh about that. It was good natured ribbing. The Kobe thing was classless and tasteless.

El Scorcho
01-30-04, 11:23 AM
Kobe Bryant Plays Utah Jazz, Race Card

SALT LAKE CITY - NBA All-Star Kobe Bryant was a busy man this week. On Saturday, Bryant returned to the Los Angeles Lakers after missing six games with a separated shoulder and played the Utah Jazz. One day earlier, in a Colorado courtroom, Bryant played the race card.

"I feel pretty good," Bryant said after scoring 21 points in the Lakers 93-86 win over Utah. "The shoulder wasn't really bothering me. I did get pretty tired, though. Playing the race card one day and playing the Jazz the next day takes a lot out of you."

The fabled "race card" was played by Bryant's attorney Pamela Mackey on Friday in court in Eagle County, Colorado. She told judge Terry Ruckriegle that "There is lots of history out there about men, black men, being falsely accused of this crime by white women."

"That's ridiculous," said Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert. "Kobe's accuser didn't go after him because he's black. She went after him because he's filthy rich. Wait a minute. Forget I said that."

Bryant will play the Jazz once more this season, and will likely play the race card as many times as possible.

http://www.athleticreporter.com/articles/article.ph7?id=327

~~ PAL ~~
01-30-04, 01:06 PM

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 01:12 PM
Kobe plays the race card. Wow, that was so funny -rolleyes-

devilshalo
01-30-04, 02:57 PM
speaking of explaining -
could someone explain what exactly was so classless about the Jazz skit?
Seemed damned inoffensive to me. :confused:

Malone saying it was classless and offensive doesn't make it so.

NBA fines Jazz $15,000 for Malone spoof

January 30, 2004
NEW YORK (Ticker) - A skit that poked fun at Karl Malone and Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers turned out to be an expensive one for the Utah Jazz.

The NBA on Friday fined the Jazz $15,000 for performing a skit that "ridiculed opposing players."

The skit took place between the first and second quarters of Saturday's game between the Jazz and Lakers when Utah's bear mascot held a mock telephone conversation with a Malone impersonator over the Delta Center public address system.

The 40-year-old Malone signed with the Lakers in the offseason after spending 18 years of his career with the Jazz.

"Go tell (Jazz owner) Larry (Miller) I want to come home," the Malone impersonator said. "I don't care if Stock (John Stockton) ain't there. I want to come home. They're mean to me here. They don't give me the ball. They don't like me."

The Malone voice added, "But I guess it could be worse. I could be Ko --," alluding to Bryant's sexual assault charge.

The Jazz sent the Lakers a written apology on Thursday but Malone was furious his former team involved Bryant in the spoof.

"For them to put that out there about him, that's disrespectful," Malone told the Salt Lake Tribune. "I will never, ever forgive them for this. No class at all."

MJKTool
01-30-04, 03:04 PM
Should have fined those bastards more. No excuse for that.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:14 PM
My message about almost to 250 posts so that we can make a new thread without the word "sucktitude" was deleted by the mods, it appears. Why it was deleted, I have no idea. I said nothing wrong. Maybe the post didn't have anything to do with the Lakers, who knows. Well, I'll fix that. :D

Less then 100 *Lakers* posts to go before the 250 *Kobe* mark. When this thread is *Shaq* closed, I hope that *Payton* a Laker fan will create *Malone* a new thread so that we can leave the word "sucktitude" behind us *Phil Jackson* forever. That is, unless El Scorcho puts it *Rick Fox* in his sig.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:16 PM
Should have fined those bastards more. No excuse for that.

Yeah, but at least they got fined. Pretty lame move by the Jazz in the first place.

MJKTool
01-30-04, 03:18 PM
Very lame. You can easily tell who the pure haters are who find nothing wrong with this.

El Scorcho
01-30-04, 03:19 PM
Dang, at only 59 replies to this thread, we're still a long way to go from getting a part IV!

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:20 PM
Very lame. You can easily tell who the pure haters are who find nothing wrong with this.

Yeah, I agree. I always thought Malone was a whiner before he played with the Lakers. Who knows, maybe he still is. But he had a reason to complain about this. He said he thought the whole making fun of him thing was funny, but the Kobe thing is what made him mad.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:22 PM
Dang, at only 59 replies to this thread, we're still a long way to go from getting a part IV!

I didn't even notice that until now. Apparently the mods went delete happy, and got rid of a bunch of stuff. What gives, mods? What was deleted, and why?

EDIT: I see alot of the whole "sucktitude" discussion was deleted. Along with some of my game recap. I completely understand why highlights of a game would be deleted, but stuff like Kobe making backdoor passes, obviously related to his court case, would be left in this thread.

-rolleyes-

El Scorcho
01-30-04, 03:25 PM

I think they were deleted because one very cool mod loves this thread title and wants it to survive longer. :D

rotfl

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:27 PM

I think they were deleted because one very cool mod loves this thread title and wants it to survive longer. :D

rotfl

Or to piss people like me off. You never know. Do I have "I like getting picked on by the mods" stamped on my forehead?

El Scorcho
01-30-04, 03:28 PM
You need to chill dude, it's a message board and it's just to have fun with each other. I guarantee you that nobody goes back and reads old Laker threads, pretty much anything older than 2 days old gets ignored.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:33 PM
You need to chill dude, it's a message board and it's just to have fun with each other. I guarantee you that nobody goes back and reads old Laker threads, pretty much anything older than 2 days old gets ignored.

I'm not really that upset about it, it's the fact that it delights you so much that makes me mad.

Oh, and I refer to old Laker threads sometimes. But seriously, how often do they delete old posts so the post count can be reduced. They removed nearly 100 posts, that seems a bit much. Abuse of power, maybe?

Deftones
01-30-04, 03:36 PM
I'm not really that upset about it, it's the fact that it delights you so much that makes me mad.

Oh, and I refer to old Laker threads sometimes. But seriously, how often do they delete old posts so the post count can be reduced. They removed nearly 100 posts, that seems a bit much. Abuse of power, maybe?

looking at himself in the mirror also delights him, does that anger you? :lol:

El Scorcho
01-30-04, 03:38 PM

You guys won 3 championships in a row. At least give me the pleasure of getting delight out of some playful ribbing thrown the Laker nation's direction. Yeesh.

I've never seen you refer to any posts on the first two Mighty Lakers threads, BTW.

I'm not sure what's going on in your head, but judging from your words on this board, you're taking this place entirely too seriously. You'll find it more enjoyable if you just realize that there isn't anything personal going on here and it's just good-natured trash talking from one camp to another. All the other major Laker fans here (MJKTool, skippy, movielib, devilshalo, etc.) all realize this.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:47 PM
You guys won 3 championships in a row. At least give me the pleasure of getting delight out of some playful ribbing thrown the Laker nation's direction. Yeesh.

I've never seen you refer to any posts on the first two Mighty Lakers threads, BTW.

I'm not sure what's going on in your head, but judging from your words on this board, you're taking this place entirely too seriously. You'll find it more enjoyable if you just realize that there isn't anything personal going on here and it's just good-natured trash talking from one camp to another. All the other major Laker fans here (MJKTool, skippy, movielib, devilshalo, etc.) all realize this.

Dude, I'm not exactly getting ready to throw myself off a cliff here because you mock the Lakers. I get as much pleasure (or more) seeing you upset when the Lakers win as you do when they lose or get hurt, in trouble, etc. I just thought it was funny you were getting a bit too much enjoyment of the posts being deleted.

I don't refer to them, I look at them sometimes. To see what was said, who said what, and when, etc.

I enjoy myself on the boards. I just don't understand the mods sometimes.

So leave it at that. Go ahead and continue to make fun of the Lakers.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Deftones
looking at himself in the mirror also delights him, does that anger you? :lol:

No that scares me....

MJKTool
01-30-04, 03:49 PM

So his plan works on you then! :D

I used to get mad at short round as well in the beginning. But you have to realize thats its all done in fun & their really is no reason to get mad over something silly as a message board.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 03:50 PM
So his plan works on you then! :D

I used to get mad at short round as well in the beginning. But you have to realize thats its all done in fun & their really is no reason to get mad over something silly as a message board.

No, I'm cool. It's no biggie.

Dave99
01-30-04, 04:27 PM
*Cue duracell rabbit*
It keeps going and going and going....
dave

movielib
01-30-04, 04:29 PM

:mad: No I don't. :mad:

;) I love the word "sucktitude."

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Dave99
*Cue duracell rabbit*
It keeps going and going and going....
dave

Energizer bunny, you mean?

devilshalo
01-30-04, 04:43 PM
A Laker thread without El Scorcho is like a vaccination without the needle. ;)

Dave99
01-30-04, 05:07 PM
yeah, that thing. I thought duracell looked a bit odd when I typed it.

dave
Energizer bunny, you mean?

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 05:44 PM
umm.. maybe you guys just got out of sensitivity training and have missed the whole season, but Kobe's been savaged 50 times worse than Utah did in that skit many times over this season.

They didn't even SAY anything bad about Kobe - they said basically that Malone's situation in LA could be worse - it could be as bad as Kobe's.

That's not only not offensive, that's completely accurate, not hyped, and hardly even funny. I don't understand the outrage, when it's a simple fact that Kobe's had a tough year so far.

Or are you guys missing that?

As for "classlessness", I guess you guys missed the games thru the years where the opposing team (I THINK it was the Jazz, even, when Malone was there) brutally made fun of Jerome James of the Kings for being overweight, of all things.

There wasn't any outrage, or NBA fining, over a completely discriminatory skit which poked fun at someone for being OVERWEIGHT (almost a protected class in this society), yet Malone acts like a ***** and gets all in a huff FOR SOMEONE ELSE (like Kobe couldn't squak himself if he'd felt outraged over the truth) and lo and behold, the over-sensitive, protective NBA fines the Jazz for nothing.

Why don't they fine the Pistons organization for allowing all the crap that's been heaped on Webber over the years?

And you also probably missed where Danny Ainge on a nation ally televised broadcast made fun of Hedo Turkoglu's NOSE, of all things!
Went off on him, multiple times even - got across how hideously ugly and disfigured Hedo was..... NO NBA RESPONSE.
Nor did the Kings make any fuss over it.

I truly can't believe my eyes when LAKER fans are in a huff over an organization making fun of another player. :eek: The Lakers are one of the worst organizations in basketball when it comes to being offensive towards the other team.
Or maybe you've blocked that out thru the years, choosing to think of the Lakers as being classful, and above that kind of activity?

Aphex Twin
01-30-04, 05:45 PM
umm.. maybe you guys just got out of sensitivity training and have missed the whole season, but Kobe's been savaged 50 times worse than Utah did in that skit many times over this season.

Name one NBA team that has, in any way at all, done or said anything negative about Kobe's situation.

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 06:09 PM
If I was all-knowing, I'm sure Kobe's situation has been mentioned in many worse ways in NBA arenas this year.
But we don't all hear everything done - Malone is just hyper-sensitive about the Jazz.

Why single out the Jazz? In the ocean of crap that's been made fun of Kobe the past year, the Jazz skit was quite restrained and inoffensive.

BTW: for the word "offensive" to be accurate, the Jazz would have had to actually say something offensive.
This is not a case of "It was offensive because I thought it was offensive."

Tell me what is offensive about saying that Kobe's got it hard this year?

BTW: nice way to just reply to one sentence of a whole post, ignoring the vast majority of points.

devilshalo
01-30-04, 06:12 PM
It's one thing when the boo-birds come out and harass Kobe while he's on the court. They are not part of the NBA.

Here's the problem I have wth the whole thing. Malone wasn't even there. Had he been there.. I don't think he'd have a problem and they'd probably run the skit by him and have fun with it. Also, the league as a whole has not said anything about Kobe's situation. If anything, it's been nothing but support. Stern wants no one to talk about the golden one until the end of his trail. The only thing said so far were Cuban's comments that it was good for the league in such that it will draw more people to watch. Stern took exception to it.

I remember when Sacto held their Laker jersey burning ceremony before one of the playoff games. Did I care? No. In fact, I laughed that a team had to fire themselves up that way.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 06:21 PM
As usual, reapersaurus posts stink of haterism. All those other things you mentioned didn't involve a serious crime that could send a man to prison.

MJKTool
01-30-04, 06:21 PM
Why single out the Jazz? In the ocean of crap that's been made fun of Kobe the past year, the Jazz skit was quite restrained and inoffensive.

It was an NBA organization that was making the joke...do you not understand this? Fans are one thing, an NBA organization is another.

I think Short Round has met his match for the most annoying hater yet.

devilshalo
01-30-04, 06:27 PM
As for "classlessness", I guess you guys missed the games thru the years where the opposing team (I THINK it was the Jazz, even, when Malone was there) brutally made fun of Jerome James of the Kings for being overweight, of all things.

There wasn't any outrage, or NBA fining, over a completely discriminatory skit which poked fun at someone for being OVERWEIGHT (almost a protected class in this society), yet Malone acts like a ***** and gets all in a huff FOR SOMEONE ELSE (like Kobe couldn't squak himself if he'd felt outraged over the truth) and lo and behold, the over-sensitive, protective NBA fines the Jazz for nothing.

One.. it was the Phoenix Suns that made fun of Oliver Miller when he was in a Kings jersey. Miller, of course, had played for the Suns at one time. And two, yes there was outrage. The player's union filed a complaint on behalf of Miller with the league.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040121.womill21/BNPrint/Sports/
At a game in 1999 in Phoenix, when Miller was playing for Sacramento, the Suns' gorilla mascot wore a Kings jersey with Miller's number, filled it with padding, and stuffed his face with popcorn before collapsing on the floor. The NBA players' union filed a complaint against the team on Miller's behalf.

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 07:14 PM
A team and fans being bitter when a long-time player leaves their team is as old as sports.

Has Malone missed that aspect of modern sports?

And the players didn't set fire to the jersey - why do I always see the same line: "HAD to" motivate themselves that way?
Publicity stunts are just that. And not done, nor directly affecting the players' motivations.

And Shaq wasn't fined by the league for saying ""Tell Yao Ming, 'Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-so'", nor was Miami Heat for giving away fortune cookies before the game against Houston (perpetuating racial stereotypes).

devilshalo- you're probably close to the mark there - the NBA just doesn't like a franchise drawing any attention to their previous-goldenboy's legal plight.
As if the Jazz's skit made anyone newly aware that Kobe's not having a good year... :rolleyes:

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 07:17 PM
Good find, devilshalo- your Google-fu must be strong.
Notice that Miller had to go thru the union, and it doesn't seem like the Suns organization was fined or reprimanded in any way, even though that was a FAR more over-the-top, offensive characicature than simply referring to Kobe having a bad year.

MJKTool
01-30-04, 07:21 PM
A team and fans being bitter when a long-time player leaves their team is as old as sports.

Has Malone missed that aspect of modern sports?

Malone didnt have a problem with them making fun of him. He had a problem with them making fun/light of a man who is charged with rape. And I dont know about you but rape is not my idea of a joke....and lets be honest here THAT is what they were referring to.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 07:24 PM
Get real, like anyone was offended by the Heat giving away fortune cookies. And Shaq said sorry for what he said to Yao, and he admitted it was a joke. Yao wasn't even upset by it, so who cares.

reapersaurus
01-30-04, 07:52 PM
nick, you have NO right to dismiss Shaq's comments as "just a joke" and to conclude that noone was offended in the matter.

Newsflash - millions of people were offended (outside of your social circle, apparently not registering in your psyche).
Did you not listen to the HUGE uproar in the Asian community?
Or do you just want to show how much of a hypocrite you are when you dismiss racial stereotyping for no cause when it's Shaq doing it, yet cry foul when a team makes some fun of Kobe when everyone in the BB world is doing so as well, and much worse.

MJK - uh, no. The Jazz weren't making fun/light of rape.
Sorry, that's going so far out on a limb, it's like saying Shaq was really decrying the concept of penmenship when he squacked about the ball being defaced. :rolleyes:

BTW: "I shall call you.... 'Mr. Ad Hominem'."

damn_skippy
01-30-04, 09:01 PM
Funny how my posts are disappearing.

damn_skippy
01-30-04, 09:03 PM
Bryant placed on injured list because of cut on right index finger

January 30, 2004
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Lakers star Kobe Bryant was placed on the injured list Friday because of a severe cut on his right index finger that will keep him out of action for at least a week.

The Lakers said Bryant needed nine to 10 stitches to close the wound. He was injured Thursday when he accidentally put his hand through a glass window while trying to move some boxes in his garage, the team said.

Bryant will be eligible to return Feb. 8, when the Lakers play at Orlando in the fifth game of a seven-game road trip leading up to the All-Star break.

He played two games after missing six because of a sprained right shoulder that clearly bothered him during Wednesday night's 96-82 victory over Seattle.

Bryant was going to have to miss Monday night's game at Indiana to attend a two-day hearing related to his sexual assault case in Eagle, Colo.

The Lakers said Bryant will meet the team in Cleveland and be re-evaluated at that time. They play the Cavaliers next Wednesday.

Bryant is averaging 21.7 points to rank ninth in the NBA along with 4.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists. He was voted into the starting lineup for the Western Conference in the All-Star game, to be played Feb. 15 at Staples Center.

The Lakers didn't immediately replace Bryant on their active roster.

SleepyW
01-30-04, 09:04 PM
A Laker thread without El Scorcho is like a vaccination without the needle. ;)

I'd say it's more like a pregnancy without the nausea.

damn_skippy
01-30-04, 09:04 PM
I'd say it's more like a pregnancy without the nausea.

I say its more like a toothache.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 09:10 PM
Bryant placed on injured list because of cut on right index finger

January 30, 2004
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Lakers star Kobe Bryant was placed on the injured list Friday because of a severe cut on his right index finger that will keep him out of action for at least a week.

The Lakers said Bryant needed nine to 10 stitches to close the wound. He was injured Thursday when he accidentally put his hand through a glass window while trying to move some boxes in his garage, the team said.

Bryant will be eligible to return Feb. 8, when the Lakers play at Orlando in the fifth game of a seven-game road trip leading up to the All-Star break.

He played two games after missing six because of a sprained right shoulder that clearly bothered him during Wednesday night's 96-82 victory over Seattle.

Bryant was going to have to miss Monday night's game at Indiana to attend a two-day hearing related to his sexual assault case in Eagle, Colo.

The Lakers said Bryant will meet the team in Cleveland and be re-evaluated at that time. They play the Cavaliers next Wednesday.

Bryant is averaging 21.7 points to rank ninth in the NBA along with 4.8 rebounds and 4.3 assists. He was voted into the starting lineup for the Western Conference in the All-Star game, to be played Feb. 15 at Staples Center.

The Lakers didn't immediately replace Bryant on their active roster.

What next? Payton hurts his leg while jump roping?

MJKTool
01-30-04, 10:33 PM
MJK - uh, no.

uh, yes.

damn_skippy
01-30-04, 11:17 PM
Sigh* Maddog is in :lol:

i miss the big goof.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 11:19 PM
Sigh* Maddog is in :lol:

i miss the big goof.

Somebody might wanna start guarding Spree.

EDIT: Oh and yeah Madsen was a fun player to watch.

damn_skippy
01-30-04, 11:23 PM
dawgy FYI

Arguing with el scorcho is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After awhile you realize that the pig enjoys it.

Also remember that he is short and kinda troll looking.

Oh yeah, he also pays for sex and sleeps with sheep.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 11:29 PM
dawgy FYI

Arguing with el scorcho is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After awhile you realize that the pig enjoys it.

Also remember that he is short and kinda troll looking.

Oh yeah, he also pays for sex and sleeps with sheep.

So the rumors are true!

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 11:35 PM
sigh, Lakers about to lose again. I am tired of this crap.

SleepyW
01-30-04, 11:37 PM
How do you outscore the other team's bench 23-5 and still be behind by 7?

Good thing Rush showed up or this would be a blow-out.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 11:42 PM
How do you outscore the other team's bench 23-5 and still be behind by 7?

Good thing Rush showed up or this would be a blow-out.

When people like Walton shoot 5-6 times in the 3rd-4th quarter, that's how. Plus Spree, and Cassell are red hot. KG only has what, 16 pts?

This loss hurts. The Kobe injury, the upcoming road trip, and the inability to gain ground on Sacramento makes it even worse.

The Lakers lost this game in the 3rd quarter, like they lose all their games.

SleepyW
01-30-04, 11:44 PM
Why the Hell did Phil leave the scrubs in for so long into the 4th while Minnesota was pulling away with their starters in? And Medvedenko having a horrible game doesn't help.

nickdawgy
01-30-04, 11:47 PM
Why the Hell did Phil leave the scrubs in for so long into the 4th while Minnesota was pulling away with their starters in? And Medvedenko having a horrible game doesn't help.

I was wondering why, also. I guess he wanted them to rest. Meanwhile Spree and Cassell are having career games, while KG has an average game by his standards.

Plus, the non-stop fouling the Lakers kept pulling hurt them, too.

SleepyW
01-30-04, 11:51 PM
T'Wolves with 3 guys having 20+ points. That's embarrassing. Those guys are 86% of the offense and L.A. still can't figure out who's getting the ball.

Oooh...Payton getting ejected! Nice game, Lakers.

damn_skippy
01-31-04, 12:00 AM
Lakers couldn't shoot for shit in the 4th. Walton looked scared to let the ball leave his hands.

nickdawgy
01-31-04, 12:02 AM
T'Wolves with 3 guys having 20+ points. That's embarrassing. Those guys are 86% of the offense and L.A. still can't figure out who's getting the ball.

Oooh...Payton getting ejected! Nice game, Lakers.

Yeah Payton really showed he's a team leader by running his mouth at the end, and getting tossed.

Did he even score in the second half? Lakers were outscored 62-40 in the second half.

reapersaurus
01-31-04, 02:41 AM
I guess we won't have to rely on conjecture : we'll get to see waht will happen when it's just Shaq and Payton and the scrubs on this road trip.

SleepyW
01-31-04, 10:05 AM
It's going to be exactly what happened last night unless Shaq steps it up. The Lakers have proven they can win when Shaq takes over. If he does that, it opens everything up for the rest of the team. Problem is Shaq isn't taking over. This road trip is gonna suck.

:::checking to see if they get to play Orlando, Chicago, Miami...::: Well, Orlando and Miami SHOULD be automatics, but 7 games in 11 nights on the road.........yuck.

MJKTool
01-31-04, 10:11 AM

SnoopDogg
01-31-04, 11:04 AM
Lakers had a Twolves fan alittle scared last night, but we ended up conquering at the end.

Go Twolves.

nickdawgy
01-31-04, 11:39 AM
If Shaq was a bit healthier, they would have easily won that game. He dropped too many boards, and missed too many shots. Plus nobody was guarding their big three scorers. The Orlando game might not be a gimme. Shaq always plays bad it seems when he returns to his old stomping grounds.

Blake
02-01-04, 02:09 PM
Anyone catch the postgame interview with Shaq? Live on KCAL, he was talking about the officiating down the stretch and how they "take over the ****ing game" - to which John Ireland quickly replied, "we're on live TV" and shaq came back with "I don't give a shit" (the last comment was somewhat off mic.

But other than that, I figured the Lakers would somehow find a way to blow their lead, and the game. Luckily GP's great defense on that last play saved the game...

Low RG
02-01-04, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Blake
Anyone catch the postgame interview with Shaq?

Shaq dropping the "F" bomb was classic. Totally caught Ireland off. Is that something the league will fine him for? (not that he can't afford it :D )

Blake
02-01-04, 02:39 PM
I guess they'll fine him - but come on...live tv and you ask a heated question about the officiating?

Aphex Twin
02-01-04, 02:44 PM
Judging by the post-game interview, do you think Shaq was upset at all at the officiating?

reapersaurus
02-01-04, 03:21 PM
I guess they'll fine him - but come on...live tv and you ask a heated question about the officiating? Geez.. so it's the INTERVIEWERS fault that Shaq dropped the f-bomb? :rolleyes:

And Low RG: you actually think it's "classic" to do that?
Ya, real comedy gold there.Vince Carter had a chance to win the game in the final seconds, but Rick Fox and Gary Payton converged on him as he drove to the basket. Carter threw up the ball, thinking he had been fouled but official Luis Grillo did not call one.

Payton then ran out the clock.

O'Neal went 13-for-20 from the field and 10-for-15 from the free-throw line. O'Neal also didn't agree with some calls down the stretch, and used profanities in a postgame interview with Los Angeles-based KCAL-TV to show his frustration.

He said the fans came to watch the players, not the officials, then used one profanity while complaining that officials were ``taking over the game.''

When informed he was on live television, O'Neal replied with a vulgarity. So let me get this straight:
The game is decided by a referee non-call in the LAkers favor, and Shaq whines about the officiating?

At least the Kings mostly save their criticisms for when they're on the losing side of bad officiating... :rolleyes:
And they certainly don't cuss on live TV when doing so.

Aphex Twin
02-01-04, 03:25 PM
Geez.. so it's the INTERVIEWERS fault that Shaq dropped the f-bomb? :rolleyes:

Ya, real comedy gold there.So let me get this straight:
The game is decided by a referee non-call in the LAkers favor, and Shaq whines about the officiating?

At least the Kings mostly save their criticisms for when they're on the losing side of bad officiating... :rolleyes:

On the troll scale, I give this a 8 out of 10.

nickdawgy
02-01-04, 03:46 PM
I didn't even know the lakers played today, :lol:

But I bet Shaq's F-bomb was funny rotfl

"I don't give a shit" when he was told he was on live is indeed classic :D

Shaq rules :up:

movielib
02-01-04, 04:55 PM
....So let me get this straight:
I didn't see the game but...

Players almost never get a foul call when the game is on the line right at the end. You nearly have to take off someone's head to get a foul. They all know this.

And I assume Shaq was referring to other calls.

Aldarion
02-01-04, 09:46 PM
So let me get this straight: The game is decided by a referee non-call in the LAkers favor, and Shaq whines about the officiating?

He later agreed that Carter was fouled on that last play.

``I thought the last five times I shot the ball was a foul too,'' O'Neal said. ``He got fouled, I got fouled, and they didn't call it.''

heimerSWT
02-01-04, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
On the troll scale, I give this a 8 out of 10. I guess it takes an expert to be a judge.

Blake
02-01-04, 11:02 PM
Geez.. so it's the INTERVIEWERS fault that Shaq dropped the f-bomb? :rolleyes:

Did I say that? No - it's not his fault - you can't predict what someone's going to say, but still...he did ask a heated question - way to twist my words around to suit your twisted view of the Lakers.

Ya, real comedy gold there.So let me get this straight:

If you actualyl watched the f'ing game, you would have seen the replay and the fact that Gary got all ball and it was a good non-call. Go troll somewhere else.

Yup - the Kings are saints - they may not cuss on live TV, but how about perjuring themselves? Let's not get into a debate on which team is more holier than the other. :rolleyes:

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 12:13 AM
Did I say that? No - it's not his fault - you can't predict what someone's going to say, but still...he did ask a heated question -I'm not twisting anybody's words. You said yourself "come on - he asked a heated question" which suggests the unspoken "he should have expected a heated answer" (i.e. a profanity), which seems to me to be pretty clear that you were putting the blame on the interviewer for asking a "heated question".

Never mind that players league-wide are asked "heated questions" about officiating and what-not all the time, yet they find some way to avoid from cussing on LIVE TV.
If you actualyl watched the f'ing game, you would have seen the replay and the fact that Gary got all ball and it was a good non-call. Go troll somewhere else.Well, according to Aldarion, Shaq said himself that Carter was fouled on the play.

I didn't see the play, so I won't comment on whether he was fouled or not. That's not the point. The point is how bad of sportsman Shaq is for complaining about the officials after the LAkers WON on a questionable call (is it OK to call it questionable, since Shaq himself admitted it was a foul? I'm sure most Raptors fans clearly thought it was a foul...)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240201028
Oh my god- do you guys realize how much Shaq complained about the officials?
All this from a fan-base that says the KINGS complain? Damn, the Kings have really held their tongues this year comparatively.

I heard MANY Lakers fans say that Vlade is an utter idiot for saaying things like "the officials have it out against small-market teams" or "we won't get calls", yet Shaq says :"I thought the last five times I shot the ball was a foul too," O'Neal said. "He got fouled, I got fouled, and they didn't call it."

O'Neal said official Scott Foster has it in for him.

"Don't be calling bull because you don't like a guy," O'Neal said. "That guy has a clear understanding over the years that he don't like me. If you don't like a person, you can't do your job with them."

O'Neal went 13-for-20 from the field and 10-for-15 from the free-throw line.and no Laker fan recognizes the utter hypocrisy of complaining about KINGS players pointing out the officiating?

BTW: he shot 15 FT's, and still complained.Yup - the Kings are saints - they may not cuss on live TV, but how about perjuring themselves? Let's not get into a debate on which team is more holier than the other. :rolleyes: Let's get into a discussion.

On one side, you've got the biggest bore in the entire NBA, hands down, who says the most insulting, offensive, and petty things. Also an accused rapist, who on one side proclaimed his great love over and over for his wife and daughter last year. Then promptly AT BEST sleeps around on her, publically humilating her and his daughter, and making all his previous statements (in fact, his whole public persona) a complete farce.
You've also got one of the recognized-dirtiest players in present-day basketball in Malone.
Payton is known as the most foul-mouthed player in the league on the court.
Phil Jackson is known as one of the nastiest, condescending coaches in the NBA for what he says, purportedly to "motivate his players".

On the other side you've got.... hmm.. Webber.
Who I don't believe was convicted of anything except telling his story wrong. Basically, he lied. OOOOooooohhhhh! Lock up your daughters. :eek:

But if you wanna compare Webber as bad as all that, fine.
Maybe Laker fans are unaware, but most Kings fans don't like Webber that much.
We'd much rather not have him on the team, or trade him for someone else, but we're stuck with him, and hope he can provide the little extra we need to get a championship (which he hasn't helped us to twice in a row).

Also on the Kings, you've got some of the nicer guys in pro sports. Miller is known as a regular normal down-home nice guy. Christie is known for being a proponent of monogamy, in pro sports of all places. Many players have spoken out in respect of his dedication to marriage. Vlade is the elder statesman of the NBA - the biggest ambassador of BB in the world. Has probably done more for NBA worldwode than any other player in history, and continues to act as a mentor for many fortign players in the NBA today.
Peja is one of the humblest All-Stars around, and always has good things to say about even an opponent. Throw in Bibby there, too. Lawrence Funderburke is close to being a pastor, he's that religious IIRC, and has consistently done good works in the community.
So it's no surprise a Laker fan, follower of one of the more morally-bankrupt franchises in pro sports, wouldn't want to get in a debate about any team being saints.

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 12:20 AM

If you think Shaq is the "biggest bore in the entire NBA, hands down" you obviously haven't seen the guy play too much.

Keep posting, reaper, you make me laugh :up:

SleepyW
02-02-04, 12:32 AM
What's this about Kings players and not complaining about refs? 2 words: Vlade Divac.

eatntae
02-02-04, 12:35 AM
Let's get into a discussion.

On one side, you've got the biggest bore in the entire NBA, hands down, who says the most insulting, offensive, and petty things. Also an accused rapist, who on one side proclaimed his great love over and over for his wife and daughter last year. Then promptly AT BEST sleeps around on her, publically humilating her and his daughter, and making all his previous statements (in fact, his whole public persona) a complete farce.
You've also got one of the recognized-dirtiest players in present-day basketball in Malone.
Payton is known as the most foul-mouthed player in the league on the court.
Phil Jackson is known as one of the nastiest, condescending coaches in the NBA for what he says, purportedly to "motivate his players".

On the other side you've got.... hmm.. Webber.
Who I don't believe was convicted of anything except telling his story wrong. Basically, he lied. OOOOooooohhhhh! Lock up your daughters. :eek:

But if you wanna compare Webber as bad as all that, fine.
Maybe Laker fans are unaware, but most Kings fans don't like Webber that much.
We'd much rather not have him on the team, or trade him for someone else, but we're stuck with him, and hope he can provide the little extra we need to get a championship (which he hasn't helped us to twice in a row).

Also on the Kings, you've got some of the nicer guys in pro sports. Miller is known as a regular normal down-home nice guy. Christie is known for being a proponent of monogamy, in pro sports of all places. Many players have spoken out in respect of his dedication to marriage. Vlade is the elder statesman of the NBA - the biggest ambassador of BB in the world. Has probably done more for NBA worldwode than any other player in history, and continues to act as a mentor for many fortign players in the NBA today.
Peja is one of the humblest All-Stars around, and always has good things to say about even an opponent. Throw in Bibby there, too. Lawrence Funderburke is close to being a pastor, he's that religious IIRC, and has consistently done good works in the community.
So it's no surprise a Laker fan, follower of one of the more morally-bankrupt franchises in pro sports, wouldn't want to get in a debate about any team being saints.

Go Lakers! :banana::):p

movielib
02-02-04, 12:50 AM
reaper - it's a damn crime the NBA hasn't awarded a championship to the Kings because they're such great guys.

Blake
02-02-04, 12:50 AM
Reaper, your opinion is just that - an opinion. You think Shaq's a bore, fine - I don't give a shit. And of course, you now hate Malone since he's on the Lakers - never mind the countless years on the Jazz and as for the "rapist" - a) not guilty yet, and b) if you think Kobe's the only professions sports player who fools around on the road, we'll you're obviously delusional.

And just as there are countless players who cheat on their wives, pointing out that Christie is a proponent of monogamy is just plain stupid. I would wager that for every 1 player who cheats on his wife there's 10 others who don't - so I fail to see how Christie is some sort of saint for staying faithful. -rolleyes-

Keep bashing, keep hating - it's always good for a laugh...

Blake
02-02-04, 12:51 AM
reaper - it's a damn crime the NBA hasn't awarded a championship to the Kings because they're such great guys. Uh oh - now you're going to really get him started...

Aphex Twin
02-02-04, 12:51 AM
What's this about Kings players and not complaining about refs? 2 words: Vlade Divac.

Only 2 words? Try the entire King's team! The Kings of whining and complaining.

Aphex Twin
02-02-04, 12:54 AM
And just as there are countless players who cheat on their wives, pointing out that Christie is a proponent of monogamy is just plain stupid. I would wager that for every 1 player who cheats on his wife there's 10 others who don't - so I fail to see how Christie is some sort of saint for staying faithful. -rolleyes-

And...the only reason Chrisitie is such a whipped-ass bitch is because of insecurity and because his wife is a psycho. When his wife and the media are not around he probably indulges in 2 $30-chicks at once every night on the road.

movielib
02-02-04, 01:06 AM
Uh oh - now you're going to really get him started...
No, he's convinced me. I'm going to start a petition. Nice guy teams deserve a championship. And balloon animals for everyone. If they can't earn a championship it should be given to them.

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 02:43 AM
wow - THOSE responses were certainly original. :rolleyes:

a) The Kings whine. (did you READ what Shaq QUOTES I posted? Mind replying with something that DOESN'T make you look like a hypocrite?)

b) Christie cheats when Mrs. Christie's not around.
Come on, that's ridiculous.

*pause for comedic timing*

Mrs. Christie's ALWAYS around. ;) :D

c) I'm not sure if you read OK, Blake - I specifically said ACCUSED Rapist.
And I never came close to suggesting Kobe's the only guy cheating on his wife in professional sports, much less the NBA ("I shall call you... Mr. Straw Man").
But Kobe sure as hell was the biggest sports personality I know of that was as vocal as he was talking about how his wife was "everything to him" and he was so "fulfilled" becoming a father.
I'd love to dig up some quotes on that disgusting two-faced persona he made for himself, of the NBA's Mr. Nice Guy.
And then this happened. I know of noone else in sports that's had that big of disparity between what he sold to the media and what obviously is the case as far as being faithful.

I'm glad I can entertain you guys.
I'm entertaining myself showing how hypocritical Laker fans are and how all you can do is say "That's my opinion" when my "opin ion" is based on solid quotes and facts, not reputation or mudslinging.

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 02:46 AM
If they can't earn a championship it should be given to them. Funny, that's what millions of people believe about the Lakers, that they couldn't earn it for themselves, they had it given to them by refs thru the years.

I posted a link awhile back which even mentioned that after their FIRST championship. And we all know what happened 2 years ago (when the largest consumer advocate in history gets involved, and there are tons of reports about something, there tends to lend credence to a (unprovable) theory) and we all saw what happened last year with the T-Wolves.

movielib
02-02-04, 08:33 AM
Funny, that's what millions of people believe about the Lakers, that they couldn't earn it for themselves, they had it given to them by refs thru the years.
Yup, all fourteen. And even if the Lakers are the beneficiary of bad calls sometimes, so is everybody else. The Lakers lost the 1969 Title to the Celtics on a travelling call that took away a basket from Mel Counts that everyone in the world, including the announcers, thought was one of the worst calls ever.
I posted a link awhile back which even mentioned that after their FIRST championship.
I think you're referring to their TWELFTH. I suppose 2001, when they won 15 out of 16 games, was given to them too.
And we all know what happened 2 years ago (when the largest consumer advocate in history gets involved, and there are tons of reports about something, there tends to lend credence to a (unprovable) theory)...
If you're referring to Ralph Nader, I'm hard pressed to remember when he was ever right about anything but that is a topic for the Other Forum. :)

And if the sixth game was given to the Lakers, the fifth game was just as much given to the Kings.

movielib
02-02-04, 08:46 AM
c) I'm not sure if you read OK, Blake - I specifically said ACCUSED Rapist...

I hope you realize that if he didn't do it (and I think the evidence is very strong that he didn't - of course, on a certainty level, we'll probably never know) that he has been made a victim in a terrible way that few of us will ever come close to.

Yes, he's cheated and that is bad enough in its own way but it is not a crime. If he didn't rape that woman he deserves nothing of what has happened to him (except answering to his wife).

AndyCapps
02-02-04, 08:49 AM
If he didn't rape that woman he deserves nothing of what has happened to him (except answering to his wife).

If the lowlife piece of shit hadn't cheated on his wife, he wouldn't be in this mess at all. You pay for what you get.

movielib
02-02-04, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by AndyCapps
If the lowlife piece of shit hadn't cheated on his wife, he wouldn't be in this mess at all. You pay for what you get.
It's true that if he hadn't cheated, he wouldn't be in this mess.

But how would that justify his being falsely accused of rape if he didn't do it? Should every man who cheats on his wife be falsely charged with rape because they "pay for what they get"? How is that in any way the punishment fitting the "crime"?

What you said is absurd.

AndyCapps
02-02-04, 09:32 AM

But how would that justify his being falsely accused of rape if he didn't do it? Should every man who cheats on his wife be falsely charged with rape because they "pay for what they get"? What you said is absurd.

If he hadn't been accused of rape, we may never have found out what a lowlife piece of shit he is. He's cheated on his wife with more than one woman. If it turns out his accuser made up the rape, she should go to prison. If the worst he gets out of this is publicly exposed for the kind of person he is, and it turns out he was innocent, he's lucky. His wife could divorce his sorry ass and take him to the cleaners.

I personally think cheating on your spouse should be illegal, and people should go to prison for it. Why be married if you're going to do that shit?

SleepyW
02-02-04, 09:38 AM

I've heard some silly things in my time, but this is right darn near the top of the list.

It's so obvious who the haters are...make you no attempt to even pretend to have some common sense and objectivity?

Funny, that's what millions of people believe about the Lakers, that they couldn't earn it for themselves, they had it given to them by refs thru the years.

The ultimate cop-out of why your team hasn't won a championship - especially when the refs gave them, IMO, 2 games, considering game 2 was also handed to them on a silver platter.

AndyCapps
02-02-04, 09:45 AM
I've heard some silly things in my time, but this is right darn near the top of the list.

It's so obvious who the haters are...make you no attempt to even pretend to have some common sense and objectivity?

I've got enough common sense to know that nothing good could come out of cheating on my wife. I've also got enough common sense to know that if I was the NBA's "golden boy", cheating on my wife could cost me everything.

movielib
02-02-04, 09:51 AM
If he hadn't been accused of rape, we may never have found out what a lowlife piece of shit he is. He's cheated on his wife with more than one woman. If it turns out his accuser made up the rape, she should go to prison. If the worst he gets out of this is publicly exposed for the kind of person he is, and it turns out he was innocent, he's lucky. His wife could divorce his sorry ass and take him to the cleaners.
Yes, the most important thing about Kobe is that we find out "what a lowlife piece of shit" he is. And if he is innocent and is acquitted, how can he be considered "lucky" for being put through something like this? I don't have sympathy for his cheating but I do have sympathy for a person who is falsely accused of something, especially something this serious. I would feel this way about anyone, even if I hated him or her.
I personally think cheating on your spouse should be illegal, and people should go to prison for it. Why be married if you're going to do that shit?
We don't have the prison overflowing enough because of the stupid and evil drug war? We should imprison every spouse who cheats on his or her mate?

Are you actually listening to what you are saying?

movielib
02-02-04, 09:56 AM
I've got enough common sense to know that nothing good could come out of cheating on my wife. I've also got enough common sense to know that if I was the NBA's "golden boy", cheating on my wife could cost me everything.
Yes, Kobe was stupid. Yes, he lacked common sense. He has lost millions in endorsements and much in fan adulation. He's lost a great deal of my admiration. Perhaps that's all deseved. But if he is not guilty of rape, he doesn't deserve that part of the ordeal.

Edited for typo.

AndyCapps
02-02-04, 10:12 AM

We don't have the prison overflowing enough because of the stupid and evil drug war? We should imprison every spouse who cheats on his or her mate?

Are you actually listening to what you are saying?

If there were some kind of penalty, maybe people who don't take marriage seriously would stop getting married. We could let all the meth dealers and people who cook crack in their kitchen while their kids watch cartoons go to make room.

Yes, Kobe was stupid. Yes, he lacked common sense. He has lost millions in endorsements and much in fan adualtion. He's lost a great deal of my admiration. Perhaps that's all deseved.
Yes, I believe all of that was deserved. But would any of that have happened if he hadn't been accused of rape?

But if he is not guilty of rape, he doesn't deserve that part of the ordeal.
This is true. If he is not guilty, his accuser deserves to be punished in a way that will deter other people from making false accusations.

Blake
02-02-04, 10:14 AM
Well said movielib...as for Kobe cheating, of course it was stupid and idiotic. I've lost all respect for him, but he still doesn't deserve to be charged with rape unless he actually did rape the girl.

As for the "cheating multiple times" - there is no evidence whatsoever that he cheated in Portland - seems like the girl there just wanted her 15 minutes. But you never know - he could have cheated multiple times - doesn't change a thing for me. Once is bad enough.

devilshalo
02-02-04, 10:18 AM

Didn't seem to hurt Jordan too much.

movielib
02-02-04, 10:25 AM
If there were some kind of penalty, maybe people who don't take marriage seriously would stop getting married. We could let all the meth dealers and people who cook crack in their kitchen while their kids watch cartoons go to make room.
This is not the place to argue drug laws and because of that I'm sorry I brought it up. But yes, of course you're right, "meth dealers" and "crack cookers" are the only irresponsible people in the world. If they neglect their children they should be punished for that just like anyone else.
Yes, I believe all of that was deserved. But would any of that have happened if he hadn't been accused of rape?
Probably not; so what? I suppose this would have been the first time somebody's infidelity was not exposed to the world.
This is true. If he is not guilty, his accuser deserves to be punished in a way that will deter other people from making false accusations.
We agree on something.

El Scorcho
02-02-04, 12:32 PM
Been out of town all weekend, and caught Sportscenter really late last night, so it's time for me to comment --

Shaq was entirely out of line and it astonishes me that some of you seem to be trying to pass the blame off to anyone but him. You'll lash out at other players on other teams (*cough* Rasheed Wallace *cough*) when they behave like babies, but when the big dipshit drops an F-bomb and an S-bomb on national TV its an entirely different story.

If Laker fans had any sort of class, they'd step up and boo Shaq at his next home game. But of course, that won't happen since he helps bring the city titles and well, that trumps anything he might say or do off the court. Furthermore, Jackson would gain a world of respect for deciding to bench Shaq for the next game in order to send him a message that his actions were not acceptable.

His little outburst was nobody's fault but his own and it's absolutely absurd to blame anybody else -- the refs, the interviewer, etc.

I found it very ironic that Shaq mentioned how the league (paraphrased) is going down the shitter when he continually contributes to the problem.

At least I can still somewhat respect Kobe for owning up to his mistake(s) publically and asking for forgiveness. Shaq would never do such a thing.

And on another note, the league needs to do something about how they referee the last 60 seconds of a basketball game. Of course, this has been a problem for decades now and nothing will be done. A foul is a foul, whether there's 11:59 left in the quarter or 2 seconds left.

movielib
02-02-04, 12:48 PM
Been out of town all weekend, and caught Sportscenter really late last night, so it's time for me to comment --

Shaq was entirely out of line and it astonishes me that some of you seem to be trying to pass the blame off to anyone but him. You'll lash out at other players on other teams (*cough* Rasheed Wallace *cough*) when they behave like babies, but when the big dipshit drops an F-bomb and an S-bomb on national TV its an entirely different story.

If Laker fans had any sort of class, they'd step up and boo Shaq at his next home game. But of course, that won't happen since he helps bring the city titles and well, that trumps anything he might say or do off the court. Furthermore, Jackson would gain a world of respect for deciding to bench Shaq for the next game in order to send him a message that his actions were not acceptable.

His little outburst was nobody's fault but his own and it's absolutely absurd to blame anybody else -- the refs, the interviewer, etc.

I found it very ironic that Shaq mentioned how the league (paraphrased) is going down the shitter when he continually contributes to the problem.
I totally agree with you (notice I didn't defend Shaq for this; I avoided it ;) ). That was entirely inappropriate and it insults the league, the team, the broadcasters, the network and large portions of the audience.
...And on another note, the league needs to do something about how they referee the last 60 seconds of a basketball game. Of course, this has been a problem for decades now and nothing will be done. A foul is a foul, whether there's 11:59 left in the quarter or 2 seconds left.
You're right again. But that is the way it's done and at least the players know (if they don't, they're idiots) and that makes it sort of a level playing field. But it's still wrong.

Blake
02-02-04, 03:01 PM
Of course Shaq was at fault for his outburst - but you can't think that anyone would boo him at the next home game. It's just not the way fans think or react anywhere in the country.

It seems as if my comment about the interviewer asking a heated question somehow made it his fault, when, in fact, it was obviously stupid of Shaq - no excuses, no way around it. He knew he was live and he still decided to drop the F-bomb.

Blake
02-02-04, 03:04 PM
At least I can still somewhat respect Kobe for owning up to his mistake(s) publically and asking for forgiveness. Shaq would never do such a thing.
Shaquille O'Neal apologized Monday for using profanities during an interview on live television after a Lakers-Raptors game.

"My comments were made out of frustration in the heat of the moment," he said in a statement released by the Lakers. "But I realize that my choice of words was inappropriate and again, I would like to apologize."

El Scorcho
02-02-04, 03:31 PM
The apology loses its effect when he keeps having outbursts. :)

(you can't win with me)

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 04:34 PM
in a STATEMENT by the Lakers???!

jesus, and you think that's OK now?
You Laker fans are scary.... :Creepy:

What a ***** - he never has been able to own up to his own stupidity. Yet he's the first one to call it on other people (as he perceives).
Remember the classic "apology" where Shaq said something like "I'm sorry that anyone was offended by my (racist) remarks." :rolleyes:

BTW: I've noticed a LOT of Laker fans referring to people as "Laker haters", dismissing their posts.
umm.. you guys do know how silly that makes you look, right?

It would be just as silly if I responded to a Laker fan's post that shows a quote, or a news source that shows a Laker player doing something good (ran into a burning building and saved a bunch of kids), yet all I could think to retort was "Ah, you're just a Laker "lover" - your "opinion" doesn't mean anything, cause it's biased."

See how silly that sounds?

Aphex Twin
02-02-04, 04:43 PM
in a STATEMENT by the Lakers???!

Now you are just being really really really stupid. Would it make sense if the Kings released the statement?

damn_skippy
02-02-04, 04:57 PM
I'll back Shaq. He has taken us to the mountaintop so if he ****s up and drops an f bomb here or there so what. You can hate the man all you want. But you hate because he is not on your team. We in LA will always love the man. No matter what. Unless he goeas kobe style on some chick.

Hey reapersaurus

re read your post and tell me who is being stupid.

mrpayroll
02-02-04, 05:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-onealsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

O'Neal suspended one game for using profanities on TV

February 2, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal was suspended without pay by the NBA on Monday, one day after using obscene language and publicly criticizing the officials during a television interview.

The suspension was announced just hours after O'Neal issued a statement apologizing for the comments he made following the Lakers' 84-83 victory over the Toronto Raptors on Sunday.

O'Neal will serve the suspension Monday night, sitting out a game against the Eastern Conference-leading Indiana Pacers. It will cost him nearly $295,000.

O'Neal scored a season-high 36 points against the Raptors in his third game back after missing 12 because of a strained right calf, but was angered by the officiating.

He made that clear in his postgame interview on KCAL-TV -- conducted almost immediately after the game.

``My message to (commissioner) David Stern is get some people in there that understand the game and don't try to take over the ... game because people pay good money to see good athletes play,'' O'Neal said.

When reminded he was on live TV, O'Neal responded with another profanity before the interview continued.

``My comments were made out of frustration in the heat of the moment,'' O'Neal said in the statement released Monday by the Lakers. ``But I realize that my choice of words was inappropriate and again, I would like to apologize.''

The game at Indiana was the second of a seven-game road trip for the Lakers, who played without injured stars Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone, as well as O'Neal.

Updated on Monday, Feb 2, 2004 5:46 pm EST

This is totally out of line. Fine the guy a lot of money, but to suspend him for cursing is just stupid. KCAL9 should be on tape delay to take care of these problems. Heck, they probably are on at least a 7 second delay, so they should have someone manning the button.

Stupid NBA, now tonights game is not going to be as interesting (read easy Laker Win ;) )!

Chris

El Scorcho
02-02-04, 05:04 PM
I fully admit to being a Laker hater, and proudly wear the badge with pride.

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 05:08 PM
It was stupid for him to get suspended. A fine was expected, but who gets suspended for cussing?

No Shaq, Kobe, and Karl again + Pacers at home = blowout loss (again)

Lakers 87
Pacers 104

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 05:10 PM
Looks like both O'Neals will miss the game. A big break for the Lakers, but I still think they play hard the first half, and tank the game in the 3rd, as usual.

El Scorcho
02-02-04, 05:11 PM
The purpose of punishment is to deter future similar behavior. Do you really think that giving Shaq a $25k fine is going to make him think twice about his words in the future? :lol:

That's like you or I getting fined a quarter for going 95 in a 45 zone.

And KCAL shouldn't have to go on Time Delay just to babysit particular players who can't watch their mouths.

mrpayroll
02-02-04, 05:18 PM
The purpose of punishment is to deter future similar behavior. Do you really think that giving Shaq a $25k fine is going to make him think twice about his words in the future? :lol:

And KCAL shouldn't have to go on Time Delay just to babysit particular players who can't watch their mouths.

No, I think fining him his salary for the game (he plays for free) is acceptable. And not just KCAL, any station broadcasting live should have at least a 10 second delay and someone manning the button, not just for sports. If this had been Miller or O'Neal of Indiana, I would have thought the same thing. Now fighting / flagrant foul deserves a suspension, but not cursing.

All radio stations are on a 7 second delay. I listen to KROQ in Los Angeles and believe me, they make a sport of having to use the 7 second delay!

Chris

movielib
02-02-04, 05:22 PM

Again, I agree with you.

(What's happening to meeeeee??????)

For someone as smart as Shaq is (and I do think he's smart) he sure is an idiot.

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 05:23 PM

I don't think Rasheed got suspended for his comments earlier this year about the blacks being taking advantage of or whatnot. So why should Shaq be suspended? The NBA should leave this type of thing up to the coaches.

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 05:33 PM
I'll back Shaq. He has taken us to the mountaintop so if he ****s up and drops an f bomb here or there so what. You can hate the man all you want. But you hate because he is not on your team. We in LA will always love the man. No matter what. Unless he goeas kobe style on some chick.wow - classic example of rationalization here - I couldn't have pointed out a Laker fan's bad sportsmanship, and only caring about winning any better myself if I've tried.

I love the 'logic' used - if anyone doesn't like Shaq, it's only because they want him on their team. Amazing ability to delude yourself there - only able to see the NBA thru your own, winning-obsessed glasses.

It's fascinating that you mention there actually IS a level that a Laker fan would stop liking a Laker player that helps them win. Are you saying that you are not behind Kobe now?Hey reapersaurus

re read your post and tell me who is being stupid. uh, I did reread my post(s). Always do.
Maybe you didn't read the conversation.

El Scorcho said "At least I can still somewhat respect Kobe for owning up to his mistake(s) publically and asking for forgiveness. Shaq would never do such a thing. "

Blake posted a news clipping that said the Lakers _released a statement_ that apologized for his words.

Blake was suggesting that El Scorcho got what he asked for - an apologetic Shaq owning up to his mistakes.

I pointed out that Shaq's statement didn't even come close to doing what El Scorcho was saying. Kobe has been in front of the press, looking right at everyone when he says his statements. Shaq pussed out and had some Laker PR guy write up something, he OK'd it, and there you go - Laker fans buy it hook, line, and sinker and think all is OK.

I guess you missed that conversation.

And leave it to Laker fans to miss the point again, about Shaq's suspension. It wasn't only for cussing ; it was for criticising the officials (and saying that a referree had a personal bias against him). Haven't multiple people been punished for doing the same?

devilshalo
02-02-04, 05:35 PM
It was stupid for him to get suspended. A fine was expected, but who gets suspended for cussing?

Ron Artest? Well, he just made a gesture. ;) And Mark Cuban... and Dennis Rodman...

Well, there is a pattern. The more you do it.. the more the fimes go up. Of course to most of these guys, the fines are chump change and the league goes one step beyond.

Shaq has criticized officiating a lot in the past... so maybe a suspension was imminent. If anything.. Shaq was stupid for being stupid. Not that I don't blame him for being angry and frustrated, he just needs to know when to shut his mouth. He sounds like a dumb oaf anyways that he should carry a little cheat sheet around with quick cliches he can give to the media.

damn_skippy
02-02-04, 05:49 PM
reapersaurus

Honestly i never read any of you're posts because they are all crap. It's always the same bullshit.

Lakers = the devil
Laker fans = blind

mrpayroll
02-02-04, 06:03 PM
Ron Artest? Well, he just made a gesture. ;) And Mark Cuban... and Dennis Rodman...

Well, there is a pattern. The more you do it.. the more the fimes go up. Of course to most of these guys, the fines are chump change and the league goes one step beyond.

Shaq has criticized officiating a lot in the past... so maybe a suspension was imminent. If anything.. Shaq was stupid for being stupid. Not that I don't blame him for being angry and frustrated, he just needs to know when to shut his mouth. He sounds like a dumb oaf anyways that he should carry a little cheat sheet around with quick cliches he can give to the media.

Well it would be interesting to see the history of obscene language / gestures and the punishment that was given.

I don't think you can include Mark Cuban in this discussion, since even if he was suspended, it had no affect on the play of the Dallas Mavericks (well maybe a little ;) ). Sure he was fined lots of money, but he's not a player and does not directly affect the game.

If Ron Artest & Dennis Rodman were suspended for obscene language / gestures, then Shaq's suspension is correct. As long as they treat everyone equally with regards to this, I have no complaints. :)

Chris

Aphex Twin
02-02-04, 06:04 PM
. Shaq pussed out and had some Laker PR guy write up something, he OK'd it, and there you go - Laker fans buy it hook, line, and sinker and think all is OK.

You must have some really good inside information from a Lakers source if you think the Lakers released a statement by Shaq that was not said by Shaq. Your information is so good that no one else in the media has picked up on this vast Lakers public relations conspiracy to make up words that Shaq never said.

mrpayroll
02-02-04, 06:11 PM
I did a little search on Ron Artest & Dennis Rodman regarding their suspensions. As far as I can tell, Ron Artest was repeatedly suspended for flagrant fouls and Dennis Rodman was suspended for head butting a referee & kicking a cameraman in the groin. Of course I didn't do an indepth study, so I could be missing the smaller verbal / obscene gesture suspensions. Please let me know.

Chris

movielib
02-02-04, 06:20 PM
It wouldn't necessarily matter if players (or coaches or owners) have not been suspended for cursing on the air before. Some time you just have to start fining people for things that may not have drawn a fine in the past. I would think if it didn't violate something in the league contracts, it's OK to begin at some point to address a problem. Shaq crossed the line (both with the language and the referee criticism) and I think he deserves the one game suspension (with the double whammy, I'm relieved it wasn't longer). It should have a deterrent effect on him and others in the future.

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 06:22 PM
Aphex Twin - you apparently need someone's help to complete connect-the-dots puzzles, too, huh? ;)

damn_skippy - thanks! I take pride in upsetting Laker fans that are blinded by their own inability to see the Lakers for what they are.

devilshalo
02-02-04, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by mrpayroll
I did a little search on Ron Artest & Dennis Rodman regarding their suspensions. As far as I can tell, Ron Artest was repeatedly suspended for flagrant fouls and Dennis Rodman was suspended for head butting a referee & kicking a cameraman in the groin.
1/29/03
The NBA suspended Ron Artest (Ind) for 4 games for flipping off the crowd and his interaction with Pat Riley (Mia) during Monday's Ind-Mia game.

4/13/01
The NBA fined Mark Cuban (Dal owner) $100,000 and suspended him for one game for making an derogatory gesture at the refs during Wednesday's Pho-Dal game and for his remarks about the refereeing after the game. Cuban says that the gesture was the choking sign (hands to throat).

2/16/00
The NBA fined Dennis Rodman (Dal) $10,000 and suspended him for 1 game for failing to leave the court in a timely manner and berating the refs following his ejection from Tuesday's Dal-Mil game. (9 days later he was only fined for not leaving the court in a timely manner after ejection in a game against Utah)

Oddly enough, I can't find a record of Shaq being fined or suspended so far this season or at any time last season.

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 06:27 PM
Here are some quotes from Shaq the last time he "apologized":
http://modelminority.com/printout283.html

And here are some fines for criticizing officials:
Nate McMillan and Jermoe James: http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0307/1520014.html
Mark Cuban: http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0108/1307671.html
geez, I gotta stop - there's Don Nelson, Pat Riley, Nick Van Exel, Jason Kidd, Bobby Jackson, etc etc etc.

eh- looks like there's not that much precendent for suspending a player for criticising the officials - looks like it was the way Shaq did it that the NBA wants to crack down on.

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 06:28 PM
Woo-hoo.....end of first quarter, Pacers lead 20-10.

10 points in the quarter, you gotta love that. Will the Lakers break 50?

Lakers shot a sweet 25% in the quarter. 0 offensive boards.

devilshalo
02-02-04, 06:41 PM
Here are some quotes from Shaq the last time he "apologized":
http://modelminority.com/printout283.html

That's a rather poor and slanted (excuse the pun) article... this one is a bit more straight forward.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/01/10/shaq_yao_ap/

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 07:00 PM
After 2...Pacers 41 Lakers 26

Lakers finish the quarter on a 7-0 run, but beware....3rd quarter is next. Look for the Pacers to go on a huge run (like 12-2, or 18-4) and put it away.

If it's not already put away that is.

26 points in a half... rotfl

EDIT: The Lakers shooting percentage is now 21%

They have made 8 field goals. The Pacers have made 19 field goals and are shooting 45%.

MJKTool
02-02-04, 07:13 PM
damn_skippy - thanks! I take pride in upsetting Laker fans that are blinded by their own inability to see the Lakers for what they are.

And what are they? Please tell me.
Bitter much because your team could never get past us when it counted?

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 07:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/01/10/shaq_yao_ap/ That Si 'piece' is nothing but quotes from Shaq and Phil Jackson and Yao.

How could it be slanted? It only includes quotes from people with a vested interest not to make a big deal about it. :rolleyes:

Talk about one-sided. It doesn't include one mention of the worldwide community's outrage at feelings of being wronged.

At least the link I put up actually is a piece, that puts it together in a cohesive package, using quotes from the main players and explaining the flow of events.
Si's is just an industry spin control 'article', basically quoting the people involved saying "don't make a big deal out of it'.
Well, of course they didn't want anyone to make a big deal out of it. Duh - they're missing the point.

I don't tell black people when they should get offended and when they shouldn't get offended when they perceive racial slurs/steroetypes- Shaq has no business telling Asians that they shouldn't get offended when they see them.

reapersaurus
02-02-04, 07:18 PM
And what are they? Please tell me. umm, I just listed the LAkers' non-saintliness, per Blake's 'request'. ;)
Check back one page, for just a VERY brief description of the kinds of players the Lakers choose to have represent their team and city.

Hey, what does it matter, right?
As long as they win, than it's all good, right?

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 07:30 PM
Rush just went down....the injury bug continues

EDIT: He has a right ankle sprain, and will not play again tonight. There was a wheelchair brought out for him.

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 07:39 PM
after 3...Pacers lead 66-52....Rush is out...Lakers played better, but still down 14. If they play this game close the rest of the night, I'll be happy, even if they lose.

movielib
02-02-04, 07:40 PM
Rush just went down....the injury bug continues

EDIT: He has a right ankle sprain, and will not play again tonight. There was a wheelchair brought out for him.
This is getting beyond ridiculous.

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 07:43 PM
This is getting ridiculous.

Very. When one Laker comes back, more go out. Kobe comes back, Shaq and Fox come back, Kobe gets hurt again, Shaq gets suspended, and now Rush gets hurt.

devilshalo
02-02-04, 08:52 PM
That Si 'piece' is nothing but quotes from Shaq and Phil Jackson and Yao.
The SI piece gives me the ability to make up my own mind about what he said. I don't need Buck Harvey having to paraphrase things for me.

You're a n00b.. do a search on the topic and see what my comments were at the time it happened. Just hit search: enter shaq racist and make sure it is for any date. See thread: is Shaq a racist?.

devilshalo
02-02-04, 08:54 PM
oh.. and nickdawgy.. not all of us Southern Californian's have NBA League Pass and have to wait for the KCAL tape delay of the game. Try not to spoil it next time, ok?

edytwinky
02-02-04, 10:47 PM
Great Pacers game. Oh wait, wrong thread

nickdawgy
02-02-04, 10:58 PM
oh.. and nickdawgy.. not all of us Southern Californian's have NBA League Pass and have to wait for the KCAL tape delay of the game. Try not to spoil it next time, ok?

I was watching it online, actually....

devilshalo
02-02-04, 11:13 PM
I was watching it online, actually....

Either way.. mums the word, ok? If it's on FSW, ABC or TNT I know it's live.. but you know most east coast roadtrips are tape delayed on KCAL here in So Cal.

Blake
02-03-04, 12:03 AM
reapersaurus

Honestly i never read any of you're posts because they are all crap. It's always the same bullshit.

Lakers = the devil
Laker fans = blind How eloquently put there d_s ;)

Seriously, I don't know why this guy isn't on my ignore list yet. Every post is full crap - lakers suck this, their players are bad because, the kings should be given a title because they're nice...yada yada yada.

I can actually somewhat respect posters who hate the Lakers but at least put up a good dialogue (el scorcho), but such blind hatred and ignorance is irritating.

Just have to bite my tongue every time to avoid the "personal attack" rule...

As for the suspension, that's crap - I just want to know if he was suspended for criticism of the officials or dropping the f-bomb.

And next time, I'll take into account that press releases from the teams the players play on are no longer admissible in the court of public opinion here in the forum. We must only post quotes directly from the players themselves (who couldn't even be quoted because a) there isn't a reporter around 24/7 and b) they were suspended)...-rolleyes-

chrisih8u
02-03-04, 12:05 AM
You guys cant get live Laker games? Whats the deal with that?

Blake
02-03-04, 12:08 AM
KCAL usually delays them an hour or so to put it more in a "primetime" slot - so people can get off work here on the left coast. The stupidest part is the radio broadcast is delayed as well...though it's always live on Sirius for me :)

chrisih8u
02-03-04, 12:12 AM
That sounds lame but I guess it makes sense. Thats what you West Coasters get for your kooky time-telling. -ptth-

El Scorcho
02-03-04, 12:21 AM

As for the suspension, that's crap - I just want to know if he was suspended for criticism of the officials or dropping the f-bomb.

Probably equal parts of each, with a little bit of David Stern making a big stand about public criticism of officials. At some point the commissioner's gotta say "enough is enough", and frankly I agree with him. The constant whining about the officiating is often much worse than the officiating itself.

Blake
02-03-04, 12:32 AM
Yeah - I can understand the suspension for the criticism, but not for the obscsenity...

nickdawgy
02-03-04, 12:43 AM
Either way.. mums the word, ok? If it's on FSW, ABC or TNT I know it's live.. but you know most east coast roadtrips are tape delayed on KCAL here in So Cal.

I'll try and remember that, but you could have stopped reading my posts at any time ;)

Blake
02-03-04, 12:51 AM
nick, if you talk about a game live, there's no problem with that...but I guess I can see how some people could get upset - there's been a couple times tnat I didn't know that KCAL was delayed and saw the score on ESPN or something. But as per the forum rules, you were in the right:
It is reasonable to expect that when you enter a World Cup thread, a Kings-Lakers NBA playoff thread, or any other thread discussing a sporting event, there will be discussions going on that would spoil the results for you if you haven't seen the event yet. There is no need to use the spoiler tags within posts in Sports Talk. If you don't want to know the outcome of the Kings-Lakers series, please dont' open the Kings-Lakers thread once Game 6 starts.

nickdawgy
02-03-04, 03:46 AM
nick, if you talk about a game live, there's no problem with that...but I guess I can see how some people could get upset - there's been a couple times tnat I didn't know that KCAL was delayed and saw the score on ESPN or something. But as per the forum rules, you were in the right:

Yeah, I mean no disrespect but I was thinking if you don't wanna know the outcome, stop reading :lol:

I mean I posted after every quarter except the 4th, so if someone accidentally read the stats after the 1st quarter, you'd figure they'd stop :D

I guess devilshalo kept on reading :)

mrpayroll
02-03-04, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by chrisih8u
That sounds lame but I guess it makes sense. Thats what you West Coasters get for your kooky time-telling. -ptth-

Yeah, but at least we didn't have to stay up until 11 pm to watch the Super Bowl or after midnight to watch a live boxing match! ;)

Chris

devilshalo
02-03-04, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I mean no disrespect but I was thinking if you don't wanna know the outcome, stop reading :lol:

I mean I posted after every quarter except the 4th, so if someone accidentally read the stats after the 1st quarter, you'd figure they'd stop :D

I guess devilshalo kept on reading :)

Considering that this is NOT a thread about a single game or a series, but rather the level of sucktitude the Lakers bring mixed in reapersaurus' posts to which I were responding, how could I not see your posts? The WWE threads for RAW and Smackdown [especially Smackdown since that is taped on a Tuesday and shown on a Thursday] I will stay out of if I don't care to see know the outcome of matches.

AndyCapps
02-03-04, 10:58 AM
So you're saying the thread should be titled something like "Lakers Team/Players/Game Discussion Part III" to more match the thread content(the "Mighty Purple and Gold" didn't fit too well)? There could be daily/weekly NBA Game threads, but lately it seems that people are just interested in discussing Lakers and Pacers games.

damn_skippy
02-03-04, 11:23 AM
So you're saying the thread should be titled something like "Lakers Team/Players/Game Discussion Part III" to more match the thread content(the "Mighty Purple and Gold" didn't fit too well)? There could be daily/weekly NBA Game threads, but lately it seems that people are just interested in discussing Lakers and Pacers games.

What do you mean lately. People have always wanted to talk about the Lakers.

damn_skippy
02-03-04, 11:25 AM
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=345047

New thread started. Title taken from AC.

El Scorcho
02-03-04, 11:27 AM
You know, there's no need to start part II, III, IV, etc. anymore. ;)

damn_skippy
02-03-04, 11:31 AM
You know, there's no need to start part II, III, IV, etc. anymore. ;)

And why not? This is the one thread that everyone seems to go to.

SleepyW
02-03-04, 11:33 AM
Reaper...based on how much you hate the Lakers for what you call ""unsaintliness," I expect a full report on every other team and the scummy players they have. But if all you're going to do is berate the Lakers as a known hater and Kings fan, then you have ZERO credibility. If you hate the Lakers that much, then just come out and say "I will always slam the Lakers regardless," instead of trying to justify your comments with what you consider logic and reason.

In other words, I think you're more full of crap than the one outhouse at Woodstock.

El Scorcho
02-03-04, 11:33 AM
And why not? This is the one thread that everyone seems to go to.

The forum is capable of handling at least 38 pages, as evidenced by a thread in the DVDTalk forum. :D

I think your little part IV should be closed and the sucktitude thread should last 38 pages.

MJKTool
02-03-04, 12:35 PM
The forum is capable of handling at least 38 pages, as evidenced by a thread in the DVDTalk forum. :D

I think your little part IV should be closed and the sucktitude thread should last 38 pages.

I thought Geoff didn't want threads with that many pages? Eating bandwith or something like that.

chrisih8u
02-03-04, 12:37 PM
I thought Geoff didn't want threads with that many pages? Eating bandwith or something like that.

Not anymore. Check the Feedback Forum.

MJKTool
02-03-04, 12:42 PM
Thats cool, didnt know that. I still think we should start fresh with a thread that has a neutral title like skippy started.

AndyCapps
02-03-04, 12:44 PM

This was my first thought as well. ;)

But the idea of starting with a clean slate where both lovers and haters can feel welcome does have some appeal.

Thats cool, didnt know that. I still think we should start fresh with a thread that has a neutral title like skippy started.

Dammit, that's the second time that someone's posted the same idea right before me in the last 10 minutes. ;)

damn_skippy
02-03-04, 12:51 PM
you should be happy AC it's your title.

wildcatlh
02-03-04, 01:00 PM
This was my first thought as well. ;)

But the idea of starting with a clean slate where both lovers and haters can feel welcome does have some appeal.

But Geoff said we can have longer threads! Can we keep this going til the end of the season?

Originally posted by gkleinman
Actually, it used to be true, but in the last 6 months we've done massive upgrades to our database and web servers as well as several bug fix updates to the forum, so the pages per thread issue isn't one that effects the forum any longer